U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times

Advertisements

Water retention? No way. I think they are chemical settling ponds. Very common in the old days and exactly where one would expect them: right next to the mill Creek sewer to take their runoff. I think I'll look into this a little and report back. People should know these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 AM

171 posts, read 295,056 times
Found out...they are lime lagoons from when they clean out the water tanks. They discharge the clear/clean water and hold the solids. Since Wyoming has their own water works they are necessary for they type of plant they have. I don't think you need to worry about it...They are cleaned every year or 2, which is more often than necessary. Nothing hazardous with them...nice try...

Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times
Maybe Wyoming can sell their lime sludge to Hyde Park Country club to treat their grass. Seriously if it takes a settling lagoon for the lime sludge, just how hard is the water in Wyoming anyway?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 AM

No idea how hard it is. Not as hard as my water up in Lebanon since I don't have a water softner here and had to have one up there...Not something I really worry about. As long as my water is at or above EPA standards, I'm drinking it right out of the tap...

Lebanon 475mg/l hardness
Wyoming 184mg/l hardness

Now I see why I needed that softner in Lebanon...

Last edited by Jen35; 08-03-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times
In reality, hardness does not affect the taste of water adversely. In fact, it may actually improve it. Hardness, which is dissolved mineral deposits, prmarily affects the plumbing in your house including scale on all of the fixtures from evaporation, build up of deposits in such as water heaters and dishwashers shortening their life, and the feeling soap or detergents are ineffective as you get no suds. In this area the biggest culprit is lime from all of the underground limestone.

The most common type of home water softener, which operates on rock salt, does not actually remove any of the minerals from the water. It simply changes the ionization characteristics of the water so it feels different. But to my wife and I it made the water feel slimy so we disconnected ours. We checked into an actual filter to remove the dissolved minerals but decided it was far too expensive.

Does Wyoming do anything in their treatment process to actually precipitate the dissolved minerals ouf of the water? This would be beneficial but also expensive, though on a larger scale less costly than individual home water softeners which actually remove nothing.

I doubt if the Wyoming water fields, undoubtedly wells and close to the Mill Creek, are significantly different than Lebanon. We are talking about the same huge underground aquifier which stretches for many miles along the Great Miami, Mill Creek, and Little Miami Valleys down to the Ohio.

Yeah Wilson, I am sure the Wyoming water wells are close to the Mill Creek. But that is no worse than Burger Beer advertising years ago their product was made from pure artesian well water which was drawn from right alongside the Ohio River.

In discussion about Mill Creek, I would like to interject Duck Creek on the east side. Is there actually any of Duck Creek which is still visible above ground or is it now a totally enclosed sewer?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
In discussion about Mill Creek, I would like to interject Duck Creek on the east side. Is there actually any of Duck Creek which is still visible above ground or is it now a totally enclosed sewer?

Duck Creek had ducks. Mill Creek had mills. There never was any industry polluting Duck Creek of any consequence compared to the many hundreds of companies that did and do dump their industrial waste into Mill Creek.

The big shocker is that Wyoming digs down into that valley floor, into the aquifer flowing all of the chemicals of 200 years of industry and sells it to the poor residents. No doubt claiming that their well water recycled sludge exceeds EPA requirements.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Right, and that's so much worse than your water that comes from the Ohio River. Wait, doesn't the awful Mill Creek dump directly into the highly polluted Ohio River??? Too bad Cincinnati water has more copper, lead, nitrate than Wyoming. What's your excuse for that now??

All the water is fine both here and in Cincy most would agree. There's a reason it's tested (although I'm sure you have some paronia or conspiracy therory around that as well). I'm not sure why you have to constantly try to find things wrong with this town only to be disproved time after time...If anything, your constant complaints make me more and more sure that this is the right place for me.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM

I think that the water take up for the CWW is upstream of the Mill Creek. But that is not really the problem. The problem is well water from a polluted valley floor. One of the disadvantages of building a home in a valley. I'm glad you are OK with living there. Good for you. It is still the most polluted corridor in the Cincinnati area, IMO.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 PM

I thought we had water purification for a reason. If you are so concerned on the source, I guess you don't believe in water treatment?? If water is taken, cleaned and used here and it passes all EPA standards, but that is still not ok with you, then I assume it's not a problem where you are as it must not be polluted at all? Then that must mean it doesn't need to be purified and it's ok to drink the Ohio River water directly? Or, maybe, just maybe, it's best that water is treated down to acceptable levels regardless of the source and then we all know our water is safe...wow, what a novel thought... Same standards regardless of where you live. I guess I'm just not as paranoid as you about my water or basically anything as I know it's safe since it's tested.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Wyoming has all of the negatives a residential area could have: busy Xway spewing pollution and noise, busy railroad, the most polluted stream in the US, sits on a valley floor, no real amenities, surrounded by problematic neighborhoods.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there if they didn't grow up in Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or