U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,406,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
We live in a community in NW Ohio with an Amtrak station within 8 miles of our house. We can drive to Cincinnati in approximately 3 1/2 hours.

I just checked the Amtrak schedule to take the train down sometime. We would need to board the train at 7:05 am and would arrive in Cincinnati at 3:17 am the next morning. The majority of that time would be sitting in the train station in Chicago. Cost -$236 for 2 people.

Return trip - Leave Cincinnati at 1:23 am. Arrive at destination 1:40 AM the next morning. Cost - $220 for 2.

Sorry - It's NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

You can talk all you want about high speed rail connecting the 3Cs, but unless you have a plan that includes the entire state, you aren't going to convince me.
I agree Amtrak is pretty much of a joke. To travel from NW Ohio to Cincinnati you have to go to Chicago, wait forever to transfer trains, journey down to Indianapolis, wait some more and then eventually get to Cincinnati. You have spent virtually a whole day to get there, are exhausted and frustrated. But suddenly, through some sort of magical transformation. this is going to be converted into a high-speed, highly efficient passenger rail system.?

Look at the projected maps for inter-city rail transportation in Ohio. Anybody can sit down with a computer today and put lines on a map. They can even label and put various IDs on them. That does not mean there is one iota of funding behind the proposal. Most of them are daydreams and are not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 AM

3,710 posts, read 6,592,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Rrtechno, your post is absurd. You're an example of the sort of person the Tea Party has tricked into directing their anger at Amtrak and the Post Office.

I've ridden Amtrak on the east coast many times and it's a wonderful service - much nicer than buses or flying. I've also ridden it between Portland and Seattle.

We have crappy rail service in Ohio because Ohians have been tricked into voting against their self-interest for decades. Cincinnati has The Cardinal only because Senator Bryd of West Virginia insisted that his state must have Amtrak service back when it was established in the early 70's. He demanded that it travel through West Virginia during the daylight hours. That's why it comes through Cincinnati at 3am.

The Cincinnati area has more people than the entire state of West Virginia, yet it's the place that gets pooped on by Amtrak. That's what happens when you have a city led by the likes of Tom Luken, Steve Chabot, et al. They're all old-fashioned hucksters and all the dumb old people keep voting for them year after year because Talk Radio tells them to.
Tea Party has nothing to do with this (and I personally resent the implication). I would love to be able to take the train places, if it were feasible. The only thing that has changed in my scenario in the last 8 years since I checked into this the first time is the price. It has gone up. And that was long before "Tea Party" became such a buzz-word. (And as for the post office, I support them completely. I am angry at the detractors, not at the post office.)

The map presented by Nexis4Jersey is interesting, to say the least. But it still is doing very little (as in "NOTHING) to help anyone in the Northwest or Southeast sections of the state.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM

800 posts, read 699,954 times
>That does not mean there is one iota of funding behind the proposal.

There absolutely was $400 million awarded to the 3C's project in 2008. Then old Ohioans were tricked into voting for John Kasich, who literally gave the money away to Maine and Calfornia. He tricked them into thinking we were saving money, when in fact we're paying other places to beat us. Then his goons stole the $50 million awarded to the Cincinnati Streetcar and redirected it to his home county. I was there at the meeting at ODOT's office in Columbus. It was disgusting.

>Most of them are daydreams and are not gonna happen.

They are absolutely going to happen because your generation used up all the oil driving back and forth to Wal-Mart.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
They are absolutely going to happen because your generation used up all the oil driving back and forth to Wal-Mart.
So what do you think those trains are going to run on - water?

I propose we go back to the old coal-burning steam locomotives which belched pollution all over the countryside. We have plenty of coal. At least you could claim their foorprint per passenger mile was better than a car. That's the kind of thinking people use these days to justify their position.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,706,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So what do you think those trains are going to run on - water?

I propose we go back to the old coal-burning steam locomotives which belched pollution all over the countryside. We have plenty of coal. At least you could claim their foorprint per passenger mile was better than a car. That's the kind of thinking people use these days to justify their position.
Diesel for the Secondary routes and Commuter Rail , and Electric for the High Speed lines and Metra down the road. IL could go completely Electric , that's being studied.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:21 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,706,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I agree Amtrak is pretty much of a joke. To travel from NW Ohio to Cincinnati you have to go to Chicago, wait forever to transfer trains, journey down to Indianapolis, wait some more and then eventually get to Cincinnati. You have spent virtually a whole day to get there, are exhausted and frustrated. But suddenly, through some sort of magical transformation. this is going to be converted into a high-speed, highly efficient passenger rail system.?

Look at the projected maps for inter-city rail transportation in Ohio. Anybody can sit down with a computer today and put lines on a map. They can even label and put various IDs on them. That does not mean there is one iota of funding behind the proposal. Most of them are daydreams and are not gonna happen.
A Private Organization came up and study those routes to recommend them to private companies to build only IL and MN have kept there doors open. By canceling lines in OH and WI they shut the door on private or turned them off. It makes ur state look bad for business.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,663,542 times
Boot John Kasich in 2014 and let's get the ball moving on statewide rail again. I drove to Cleveland on Sunday and have to go up again tomorrow and would have absolutely loved to just get on a train at Union Terminal and be taken straight to downtown Cleveland, all while working on my laptop or reading a book. Instead, I got the pleasure of wasting gas, driving all the way around Columbus due to I-71 construction near downtown and had two lengthy accident-induced delays coming home between Columbus and Cleveland.

But hey, as long as Gov. Kasich gets his suburban Columbus highways interchange, it's all good, right? Give our money that would have gone into Ohio's rail system to California instead, so they can build up their network.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Diesel for the Secondary routes and Commuter Rail , and Electric for the High Speed lines and Metra down the road. IL could go completely Electric , that's being studied.
Somehow people seem to think there is an electric plug in the ground somewhere which provides this. You have to generate it. So where is this electric to come from? Cover Ohio with wind turbines? And what do you think the maintenance costs on those things are going to be?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM

800 posts, read 699,954 times
Oh please. The amount of power used by these systems relative to the amount of power, say, AK Steel uses, is negligible. The estimated annual electric bill for the Cincinnati Streetcar is $150,000. This is similar to the annual bill for a big box retailer.

And how has the US gotten away with building hardly any new power plants in the last 20-30 years? Because heavy industry has largely moved overseas and nearly every electrical device has become more energy efficient.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:56 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,469,739 times
I struggle seeing how inter-city rail between major Ohio cities will work. It might work if you were going from downtown Cinti to downtown Cleveland....but how would you go from say Montgomery or Anderson to Lorain or Mentor? Number 1: You have to drive from your home to the Cincinnati rail station---could be 20+ miles-----and then how do you get to your final destination upon being dropped off---you take a cab? Could be another 20+ miles. Number 2: it's cost prohibitive------Ive read reports of it being at least $100 each way between Cinti and Cleveland and it would take many more hours than via car.

Last edited by flashes1; 07-18-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or