Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM

800 posts, read 950,397 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to everyone who worked to make the streetcar project happen. We should be seeing track laid as early as late summer or this fall, and streetcars returning to Cincinnati's streets in 2014.

John Schneider:

John Schneider speaks at Streetcar Groundbreaking

Ray Lahood:

Ray Lahood Speaks at Cincinnati Streetcar Groundbreaking

Groundbreaking:

Cincinnati Streetcar Groundbreaking 2-17-12

Everybody hugs:

Mayor Mallory Hugs City Council
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,303 times
This video tells the glorious story:

Cincinnati Streetcar - YouTube

Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,212 times
Cincinnati is finally getting a streetcar. Those buses in downtown cincinnati are so overcrowded its about time we get a streetcar.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I absolutely do not loathe urban Cincinnati. Why should I as I never go there. What I loathe is the snails pace at which everything moves. Construction is starting on the streetcar and they still don't have agreement on the utilities. With that kind of efficiency I don't expect to see cars in use in 2013. I hope I am wrong but I don't think so. I want it to move along quickly so after all of the bickering we can see the result.
This is moving at a snails pace because of the extreme efforts of a vocal minority of naysayers like COAST, Chris Smitherman, WLW and a couple of suburban lawyers (along with a fool of a governor stripping $52 million in funds originally slated for the streetcar) who have fought tooth and nail to derail this thing by sending it repeatedly to the ballot box, eternally wrapping it up in court and endlessly spewing lies over the radio and newspaper blaming the streetcar for everything from potholes on Reading Road to the swine flu.

Without those obsessed suburban naysayers, we'd be riding the streetcar today. Frankly, it's nothing short of a miracle we're where we are now considering the efforts of the opposition. Credit for that definitely goes to our mayor, the majority of City Council, John Schneider and, of course, Cincinnati voters who twice said no to destructive anti-rail initiatives.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-19-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This is moving at a snails pace because of the extreme efforts of a vocal minority of naysayers like COAST, Chris Smitherman, WLW and a couple of suburban lawyers who have fought tooth and nail to derail this thing by sending it repeatedly to the ballot box and eternally wrapping it up in court.

Without that obsessed suburban opposition, we'd be riding the streetcar today.
Come on now, how can suburban opposition affect this project at all, as they have absolutely no jurisdiction over it. Same thing goes for talk show hosts, they can blab all they want but they have no jurisdiction. On what grounds could a suburban organization file for anything a judge would even entertain? The problems have been within Cincinnati itself, so leave the suburban part out of it. If suburban lawyers sent it to the ballot box it was only due to enough City Dwellers signing the petitions.

Let's hope it does move forward and they find ways to accelerate the construction. As I said, I am anxious to see the results and who was right or wrong.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Come on now, how can suburban opposition affect this project at all, as they have absolutely no jurisdiction over it. Same thing goes for talk show hosts, they can blab all they want but they have no jurisdiction. On what grounds could a suburban organization file for anything a judge would even entertain? The problems have been within Cincinnati itself, so leave the suburban part out of it. If suburban lawyers sent it to the ballot box it was only due to enough City Dwellers signing the petitions.

Let's hope it does move forward and they find ways to accelerate the construction. As I said, I am anxious to see the results and who was right or wrong.
Because, kjbrill, they had the governor, a Republican statehouse, the most powerful radio station in the state and the local newspaper all using their considerable influence to attack this project repeatedly. They were ultimately unable to stop it, primarily because they and their backers had no actual vote and because Cincinnati has a major that is equally powerful and well-connected (White House), but they were quite successful in throwing numerous monkey wrenches into the gears.

The majority of WLW advertising is from suburban auto dealerships, and a huge chunk of their listening audience are people stuck in traffic commuting to/from work. The station has a vested interest in keeping rail out of Cincinnati and keeping people in their cars.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-19-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
Except for the last five years and while I was in college, I lived my whole life in the city and I have a good feel for the variables that control the way the public votes. Gloating that the average Cincinnati voter shares your opinion is like being proud of getting an F on an exam because over half the class failed as well.

The streetcar debacle won't really affect me one way or another. It is kind of like hearing that one of my brilliant but troubled former students dropped out medical school in that I am disappointed but not really angry or surprised. I would like to see the city succeed for sentimental reasons, but ultimately the city's rise or fall is not my responsibility.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Because, kjbrill, they had the governor, a Republican statehouse, the most powerful radio station in the state and the local newspaper all using their considerable influence to attack this project repeatedly. They were ultimately unable to stop it, primarily because they and their backers had no actual vote and because Cincinnati has a major that is equally powerful and well-connected (White House), but they were quite successful in throwing numerous monkey wrenches into the gears.

The majority of WLW advertising is from suburban auto dealerships, and a huge chunk of their listening audience are people stuck in traffic commuting to/from work. The station has a vested interest in keeping light rail out of Cincinnati and keeping people in their cars.
Well, we will find out how powerful Mayor Mark Mallory is when we see what the federal government is going to toss in to replace the Brent Spence Bridge. My feeling is his influence ends at the boundaries of Cincinnati and we will find that out later this year in the national election.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM

865 posts, read 1,471,750 times
Quote:

Why don't you call up Chris Finney and ask him. He is one of COAST's top people, and is a resident of Anderson.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Why don't you call up Chris Finney and ask him. He is one of COAST's top people, and is a resident of Anderson.
Sorry, didn't realize you were referencing actual suburbs within Cincinnati who were complaining. Naturally they have every right to as they are voters there. But as I said, most of the fight has been from within the City not outside of it. But just get it moving forward now so we can all see the result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati