U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start this just for nostalgia purposes. What movie theaters do you remember from years past, when they all had single screens? This is the list of the ones we most frequented.
Monte Vista - Pleasant Ridge
20th Century - Oakley
Another theater close to the 20th Centtury in Oakly whose name escapes me.
Silverton Theater - Silverton
Deer Park Theater - Deer Park
Camargo Theater - Madeira
Mariemont Theater - Mariemont
Valley Cinema - Reading Rd (Roselawn?)
Paramount - Peebles Corner
Then there were the Drive-Ins
Montgomery - Montgomery
Oakley - Oakley
Twin - Norwood
OH and I forgot downtown which was for special date night
Albee
Grand
Keith
and several more I will remember later.

Last edited by kjbrill; 08-04-2011 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Add content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 PM

246 posts, read 882,102 times
First movie ever: "The Ghost and Mister Chicken" at the Ferguson Hills Drive In. I'll never forget it.

Every summer I swear I'm going to take the drive with the kids to the Holiday Auto Theater or the Starlite in Amelia but I never seem to get around to it. Guess it's not too late to do it yet...

Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
Nothin' wrong with starting a new thread instead of reviving an old one!
You haven't lived if you have no regrets. One of mine is never catching a flick at the Woodlawn Drive-In.

But I did see "The Sound of Music," at the Albee. That movie stayed in theaters for over two years. Now if they're still on the big screen after two months that's "saying something."

Also saw films at these departed moviehouses:

The Vogue (Vine St in Hartwell, on the opposite corner from the Vogue Café) - "Mary Poppins" is one of the features I saw there

The Hollywood - later Hollywood I & II (5716 Hamilton Ave in College Hill; I agree it's scary that I still remember the exact address)

Northgate Cinemas

The Carousel I & II on Reading Rd in the "unincorporated" area between Roselawn and Reading - "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" had me in the audience at this short-lived cinema. Who could forget the cliffhanger moment when suddenly across the screen..."INTERMISSION"

RKO Keith, downtown

Hyde Park Cinema (north side of Erie Ave just east of Hyde Park Square) - caught "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" here

Princeton Cinema, later Cinemas, later (awkwardly) among the Tri-County Cinemas that not only grew to eight screens but also to two buildings

Valley Theater(s) - 7617 Reading Rd in, yes kj, Woes Lawn (what more appropriate place to see "Fiddler on the Roof," in 1971, than at a cinema within one of Cincy's largest Jewish communities?)

The Movies, on Race St downtown (Kurosawa retrospectives? Maybe in NYC, but not enough people in Cincinnati were feelin' this level of film)

Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 AM

Yes! The Movies (originally called "Moviola," I believe) -- loved that place. Loved receiving the monthly calendar in the mail and highlighting the films I wanted to see. Took my now-wife on our first date there to see . . . of all things . . . "Sid and Nancy." (What was I thinking?!)

Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,695,964 times
Added to the list:

Downtown--Capitol Theater (later Cinerama); Palace Theater
Peebles Corner (near)--the Guild (art movies)
Oakley--The Ambassador (only two blocks from the 20th Century)
Deer Park--morphed ('69-70) into the Beacon Hills Cinema (art movies)

Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times
Thanks for reminding me of the Ambassador in Oakley.
Also, the Esquire where I first saw Brigitte Bardot.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Does anyone recall ... dare I ask ... The Royal on Vine Street? It was probably a grand venue in its day, but I remember it as the flophouse of movie houses by the 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati