U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM

89 posts, read 159,123 times

Advertisements

I rent a studio in Clifton Gaslight with two walk-in closets, a separate kitchen/dining area, a wardrobe, a bathroom, and a main/bedroom for about $455 a month before utilities (with heat and water covered). If you're looking for studio/efficiencies I was shown quite a few in the $400-$600 price range back when I was apartment hunting.

I'm moving out at the end of this month for a 2 bedroom unit elsewhere in Gaslight (still for just under $900/mo) so it's not unheard of to find a studio apartment below the $700 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,495,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_6 View Post
I rent a studio in Clifton Gaslight with two walk-in closets, a separate kitchen/dining area, a wardrobe, a bathroom, and a main/bedroom for about $455 a month before utilities (with heat and water covered). If you're looking for studio/efficiencies I was shown quite a few in the $400-$600 price range back when I was apartment hunting.

I'm moving out at the end of this month for a 2 bedroom unit elsewhere in Gaslight (still for just under $900/mo) so it's not unheard of to find a studio apartment below the $700 range.
If that is really Gaslight, that is a great deal. You two should communicate to see if the landlord will take him for your place.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM

34 posts, read 63,909 times
I will disagree with living in Newport, but we can agree to disagree

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 PM

28 posts, read 40,257 times
Absolutely, 455/mo for all that would be very very nice!

Keep in mind as well that I know, literally, no one in Cinci. I have one college bud in Mason, who probably will be working most of the time, so it'd be nice to be near a nice bar/club strip.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 AM

89 posts, read 159,123 times
It's on Ludlow Avenue on the block right after the US bank, right in front of Cornell Avenue. I'm moving deeper into Gaslight soon, but honestly I'm no more than three or four blocks from the intersection of Clifton and Ludlow.

I'm a sociology grad student with an assistantship, so I've been living off of a social science stipend budget. :-P It's too nice having a place less than $500 with that kind of salary.

I think the apartment is already taken, but there may be a few empty units here. I'd suggest going to Cincinnati Apartments for Rent: Gaslight Property and check out their offers.

Last edited by Arctic_6; 08-08-2011 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: I should check my inbox before I ask you to PM me for info. :-P

Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,664,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The two choices for 20 something nite life are Hyde Park and Clifton. I have two 20 something sons. They know where to go. Most of the bars where 20's hang out and hook up are in Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout. Newport is a toilet. Great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there. And, for night life you will mostly bring your own friends. There are no neighborhood bars where you would want to go. My sons would never ever go to Newport and they are in the cool social scene. I don't know who goes to Hofbrau Haus, but it isn't 20 something grad students.

You can live in HP for $700 but it won't be pretty. It will be a 1 bedroom with no view of anything. Clifton, you won't find anything really safe for $700. You are probably looking too late because most of Clifton is already rented for this school year.

But, best of luck!
I agree with this. Newport can be a fun place to spend a night out every now and then, but it doesn't come close to matching areas such as Hyde Park, Mount Lookout, Clifton and other places as far as being places you'd want to live.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:51 AM

Unless I can manage to get some job to make a few hundred a month (only want to work something like a once-a-week-$150-waiting shift), not sure how many places would hire me as that, not sure I can afford the mt adams place.. Mount lookout as everyone is mentioning seems very good as well, how close is this to downtown/mt. adams/covington/UC campus?

Trying to get an idea of locations off of google maps.. but honestly a decent part of what I'm concerned about is having to take a long taxi ride if I live the 15 minutes away from the bars I'm going to most frequent. Never been in a taxi, and I'm not liking having to pay what I'm assuming is $10 each way the likely minimum 2-3 times a week I'll be unfit to drive?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,495,763 times
Clifton, Mt. Lookout, Oakley and Hyde Park are all walkable to the bars. You don't need a taxi. If you moved to Artic 6 place you would never need a car or a taxi.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,965,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theromanone View Post
Unless I can manage to get some job to make a few hundred a month (only want to work something like a once-a-week-$150-waiting shift), not sure how many places would hire me as that, not sure I can afford the mt adams place.. Mount lookout as everyone is mentioning seems very good as well, how close is this to downtown/mt. adams/covington/UC campus?

Trying to get an idea of locations off of google maps.. but honestly a decent part of what I'm concerned about is having to take a long taxi ride if I live the 15 minutes away from the bars I'm going to most frequent. Never been in a taxi, and I'm not liking having to pay what I'm assuming is $10 each way the likely minimum 2-3 times a week I'll be unfit to drive?
I haven't followed this thread carefully, but if you don't want to live in one of the areas directly adjacent to campus, you might want to take a look at the Mainstrasse District of Covington, across the river in Kentucky. There's a bar on practically every corner, so many that you should be able to find at least one or two that you enjoy. Plenty of moderate priced rentals in the area, too, and a good mix of people, including young and professional.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 PM

Talked to a friend today, brought up another point on saving some money and going for a $450-500/mo (say in my lookout or hyde park) with some included utilities versus a $650-700 with almost no utilities included (say in mt adams/downtown).. that everyone apparently always just uses taxis in nightlife? Plus, that since theres so many "suburbs" with their own downtown areas/strips, you end up often going to different ones every weekend, and living close to one nice strip (adams) is only beneficial the few times a month you end up going out to that strip. Of course, this would be dependent on the group of individuals hanging out.

My question is, what do you guys think about this? Also, how long do you have to wait for a taxi? If it's 10-15 minutes or more, I'd not be too happy about that, not to mention have another reason for my conscience to take a break while I decide whether I'm good to drive or not.

Lastly, anyone have any input on some job ideas I could do, not more than one day/shift a week, that could offset the $250 extra/month it'd take to live closer to downtown? I have a year experience as a server at a Brio-like restaurant, and wouldn't mind doing something simple (even a one-day-a-week bartending job on a random sunday morning where a place may have trouble filling shifts.. I'd only be looking for $70-100 a week in pay). A desk job where I'd be able to do my homework would be even better, but anything really would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or