U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 AM

34 posts, read 63,927 times

Advertisements

I take a taxi EVERYWHERE, if I have been drinking. In areas where there is more nightlife you will always find them, and if not just call one and they usually come within 10 minutes. Everything is so close that it doesn't cost very much. From where I live (Clifton) I can get to Mt. Lookout, Mt. Adams, Downtown, Newport, Covington, Hyde Park all for under $15 with tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,968,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyEnthusiast View Post
I take a taxi EVERYWHERE, if I have been drinking. In areas where there is more nightlife you will always find them, and if not just call one and they usually come within 10 minutes. Everything is so close that it doesn't cost very much. From where I live (Clifton) I can get to Mt. Lookout, Mt. Adams, Downtown, Newport, Covington, Hyde Park all for under $15 with tip.
I just wanted to say "good for you" because your safety is everyone else's safety, too. Several people here have mentioned areas of town where it's not the safest thing to be out as a pedestrian who's been drinking, either.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM

28 posts, read 40,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyEnthusiast View Post
The thing is, I'm trying to add things up.. and $15 one way just sounds horrible when you figure that's $30 round trip, say twice a week which is $60, then times four weeks a month is $240.

Now lets assume you live in a place that has most of the fun places, say mt adams (where you could walk downtown and to the adams strip), so you'll probably party there more often, lets do half the time. That's $150, half of the $300 more a month (at most) living around there would cost. Or is this the wrong was going about things?

Also, Eden Park hasn't been mentioned, but it seems to be a good amount cheaper than mt adams, but within walking distance to downtown and mt adams strip? This is going off google maps, of course.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,510,699 times
Your persistence in Mt. Adams is tedious. you won't find anything in your price range there. And, if you do live there you will find that the night life is mostly a much older crowd. How you got excited about it is beyond me. If you move to Oakley, HP or Mt. Lookout you can walk to great bars. Tellers, Habits, Millions, etc.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Sorry! Ha I am sure that when I visit next week everything I thought I pictured of the locations will probably change drastically, I guess its a mix between word of mouth and what I've been reading!

Mt Lookout is somewhat sounding more in my age range (I'm 23) than HP, and has a few really great priced locations. Either way, I'm excited to just move down and explore.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,510,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theromanone View Post
Sorry! Ha I am sure that when I visit next week everything I thought I pictured of the locations will probably change drastically, I guess its a mix between word of mouth and what I've been reading!

Mt Lookout is somewhat sounding more in my age range (I'm 23) than HP, and has a few really great priced locations. Either way, I'm excited to just move down and explore.

HP=Mt. Lookout In fact, you will find a broader range of rents in HP than in Mt.Lookout.

My guess is that Oakley is more your cup of tea. Great bars. Start at Habits, then Oakley Pub, then Animations.

When you go to HP go to Arthur's and Tellers.

Millions in Mt. Lookout.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM

2,511 posts, read 3,371,940 times
A winning strategy is to get a friend that doesn't drink but loves to go out to bars. That friend should also have a nice car, a swimming pool, and connections that give him lots of free tickets to Bengals games and expensive shows as well as free drinks in many bars. This strategy worked for my friend who went to undergrad with a guy on the Bengals practice squad. The rest of us had to be more creative.

I don't know what your discipline is, but when I was in grad school, graduate students went out in or near Clifton when meeting each other. Most people that lived in Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Lookout, etc. had friends in the city from high school or growing up. The law students went to Uncle Woody's, the engineers went to Christy's, the chemists and biologists went to Fries, the DAAP students went downtown, and various other disciplines had their own watering holes. When grad students went out together outside of Clifton, usually someone had a car.

Parking at UC is such an ordeal that you are better off walking to school every day and getting a cab when you want to go out than paying the outrageous parking rates or hassling with metered spots every day. I know that decent Clifton apartments below $600 or even $450 are possible because I have a sister living at the Roanoke and a cousin living on Tedford, and both pay less than $500.

Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, Mt. Lookout, and downtown are great places for young professionals, but they are not really optimum for students on a budget without roomates. Your preference may vary, but the fact is that it is more expensive to live in Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout/Mt. Adams than near campus. While this is an extreme case, I had a colleague who was married with four young kids and he was able to live in an apartment on Ludlow on his graduate stipend of $15,500/year, and his wife didn't work.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Guess I'll have to find a football bud then haha.. You do make a good point though with walking to class. Brought me to the point of wanting to either be able to walk to class OR walk to a nice strip or bars. So limited to clifton, covington, lookout, maybe eden park I think.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Hey guys, wanted to thank everyone for the help again. Very very much appreciated. Ended up with a place eden park/east walnut hills for $375. "Studio" with a full bedroom, full separate living room, full kitchen, separate entrance, fenced in yard, plenty parking, and very minimal utilities. Ran into it by mistake actually, and it unbelievably is in a very nice area. <4 minute drive to mt adams strip, 5 downtown, 6 newport, and 9 to campus.
For others looking, be flexible and always ask what else the realtor may have, and always look even though you think it may be too big/small, you may be surprised. Looking forward to my first week!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,415,280 times
Good luck. Hope it turns out to be everything you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or