U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM

43 posts, read 54,864 times

Advertisements

I am admittedly not the easiest person on the planet to have as a client. Combined with the fact that I am very particular about most things, I am married to an engineer. So, that makes me the easy-going one in the pair. So, here goes...

I am looking for an Ohio-licensed realtor. One who is licensed in both OH & KY would be better, but I'll settle for the former if the requirements below can be met.

I would like to have someone who has actually read the contract s/he is setting before us, and also actually understands it. One who understands that it is a legal contract that outlines the rules of the transaction and knows how to follow them, which is why dotting the i's and crossing the t's is important. It is a legal document. I am looking for an agent who understands that addenda to the contract are also important and will actually complete them and deliver them in a timely manner, and s/he will insist that the agent on the other side will do the same.

I would like a realtor who will set appointments at a time upon which we both agreed, not make changes without talking to me about it first, and then actually show up at the agreed upon time. I would like a realtor who upon finding out that a third of the ceiling as viewed from the attic is covered in mold would be happy that the inspector discovered it instead of yelling at him for ruining her deal.

I need someone who doesn't mind that my 5-year-old will tag along, and that he will behave like a child, because he is one. I need someone who knows what to expect when dealing with an engineer, who expects everything to be cut and dry, even when it's not. This is especially important when dealing with the contract, because he will read every word of it before signing it, and ask questions, and begin to doubt your ability if you don't proofread your work before presenting it to him.

I realize that this is a lot to ask, but I'm hoping that it's not impossible to find such a creature. And, I won't be offended if the only thing you have to offer to this thread is a big guffaw!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4frog View Post
I am admittedly not the easiest person on the planet to have as a client. Combined with the fact that I am very particular about most things, I am married to an engineer. So, that makes me the easy-going one in the pair. So, here goes...

I am looking for an Ohio-licensed realtor. One who is licensed in both OH & KY would be better, but I'll settle for the former if the requirements below can be met.

I would like to have someone who has actually read the contract s/he is setting before us, and also actually understands it. One who understands that it is a legal contract that outlines the rules of the transaction and knows how to follow them, which is why dotting the i's and crossing the t's is important. It is a legal document. I am looking for an agent who understands that addenda to the contract are also important and will actually complete them and deliver them in a timely manner, and s/he will insist that the agent on the other side will do the same.

I would like a realtor who will set appointments at a time upon which we both agreed, not make changes without talking to me about it first, and then actually show up at the agreed upon time. I would like a realtor who upon finding out that a third of the ceiling as viewed from the attic is covered in mold would be happy that the inspector discovered it instead of yelling at him for ruining her deal.

I need someone who doesn't mind that my 5-year-old will tag along, and that he will behave like a child, because he is one. I need someone who knows what to expect when dealing with an engineer, who expects everything to be cut and dry, even when it's not. This is especially important when dealing with the contract, because he will read every word of it before signing it, and ask questions, and begin to doubt your ability if you don't proofread your work before presenting it to him.

I realize that this is a lot to ask, but I'm hoping that it's not impossible to find such a creature. And, I won't be offended if the only thing you have to offer to this thread is a big guffaw!
Okay, taking you at your word about not being offended. My husband and I went through a lengthy home search about 11 years ago, so much so that our realtor finally handed us off to her assistant. We understood. And we ended up finding the house we eventually bought on our own. Not her fault.

The realtor you seek may possibly exist, and you may actually hook up with him or her. But as you described yourself, I think you'd be better off searching the listings yourself and simply working with the seller's agent if you find something you're interested in. Hire an attorney to deal with the legal stuff.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
Hahaha! It is an axiom that it is the mission of a real estate agent to accomplish a transaction where a commission is paid whether it is in the best interest of teh buyer, the seller, or neither of them.

Seriously, there are listing agents and selling agents. If you are buying a house, find a tireless selling agent who will wear herself out showing you every house you have the slightest interest in. Selling agents work with buyers. Get one who knows the neighborhoods you are interested in. If you are a seller, get an agent who has good negotiating skills.

And, as Sarah correctly states, get a lawyer if you want the legal matters to work out the way you intend. While agents are allowed to mess around with the form contract, they rarely do it correctly. Sometimes its does not matter and mostly you don't even need a contract. But when some surprise happens everything will turn to crap and the agent has already got you to sign a listing agreement or a contract that says they are not responsible and that you have to pay their legal fees if they get sued. At least the lawyer will take responsibility for his mistakes.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 PM

405 posts, read 754,275 times
Default re: realtor

It took us over 3 years to buy a house in Cincinnati. That involved probably dozens of house visits. Two near offers, one offer that wasn't accepted, and finally a purchase. Our realtor through all this was very patient, never got ruffled. He was always on time and was very careful with the contracts. He has pretty vast experience. You can imagine we weren't necessarily easy clients if it took us 3 years.

If you message me I can send you his name since I dont think we are supposed to say it publicly?
Moderator cut: Exactly. Discuss specific names in private.
Yac.

Last edited by Yac; 08-09-2011 at 03:05 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 PM

43 posts, read 54,864 times
Default So far so good

Thanks for the feedback from all. I am now working with someone licensed on both sides of the river. Hopefully this will work out well. Just in case anyone else is reading this thread for advice on an agent, you are welcome to send me a private message for information. I did have one agent tell me that I couldn't search the Ohio MLS without the assistance of an agent, which is untrue. So, if anyone needs me to let them know how to access that information, there are a couple of good sites that you can use.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,575,440 times
We have been working with an agent there who began with a career as a biomedical engineer and decided she would rather sell real estate. She has been wonderful so far, although we haven't gotten to any of the legal stuff yet. PM me for more info if things don't work out with your current agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or