U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,389,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
The Bengals just might surprise this year - that's how the NFL works. I love Andy Dalton and what he can bring to this team both leadership-wise and talent-wise. And their defense has some serious talent ... if they gel, watch out. I'm definitely looking forward to tomorrow night. Win six to seven games this year while showing improvement and promise and I'm totally with it. Who Dey!
The eternal optimist you must be. Win 6 or 7 games this year, not in your wildest dreams. Of course I believe you are also in favor of the streetcars, so you must really enjoy being fleeced by both the sports teams and the government.

Unlike my public portrayal, I really do wish the best for the City of Cincinnati, after all I live in the region. I just can't see being subjected to failure after failure of the public trust and liking it, whether it is the City/County government or the special interests like sports businesses taking advantage of the people.

Granted I live in Warren Co., but things out here are no bed of roses either with the current economy. The schools are back-peddling like mad, trying to keep their inflated budgets alive. Instead of cutting expenses in the core areas like salaries they are eliminating busing, charging rediculous fees to compete in sports, etc. And every time around all you hear is how the next tax levy will solve the problem. I believe people are just plain tired of being taxed to death as the only means of managing the schools. It is time they live within their income like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM

3,386 posts, read 3,708,499 times
Awe, come on, kjbrill ! This thread's just about the Bengals (), not about streetcars, urban vs. suburban differences, or the state-of-nature in SW Ohio! After the team's inglorious opener, even "Doc" (Paul Daugherty, the Enquirer's gifted sports writer) joined in with laughter and tears--so why don't you? After all, in Cincinnati and at PBS, it is our destiny...

Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 PM

OK I can stay with the spirit, the Bungles will do nothing to disearn their nickname this year, but rather entrench it. Other than saying Cincinnatians are masochists what does this do to improve the quality of life here?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 PM

31,250 posts, read 57,432,315 times
The Browns managed to win their first preseason game ...

Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 PM

I enjoyed going to Nippert Stadium when the team first formed and Paul was the coach. However, as we all know Paul was a neanderthal as he believed pro football was an opportunity to play a game for a period of years, be very well compensated so you had a leg up on most average people, but was not to be treated as your life's work. How bizarre of an idea was that? Now, if you can survive 3 years in the league they want a lifetime annuity.

You can say Paul's pronouncement on pro sports was in his best interest as an owner. But when I look back, I believe he firmly believed that, be very grateful for the opportunity to earn a sum of money you never believed possible during your playing days, but focus on what you will do with your life once it is over. I highly respected Paul Brown, let's just leave it at that.

Whether it is the Reds, Bengals, our non-existing NBA team, the result is the same. Look at city after city, enormous city funded stadiums, coliseums, whatever they are called. Public financing of private businesses pure and simple. Nobody has the muster to call their bluff, Ok just leave. OhMyGod what an attitude! Without pro-sports our area will die!

Here is my attitude pure and simple. Put out an equivalent offer for a publically financed place to do business and see how many global oriented businesses show up. And they will not be talking about just a part of the year, but a whole year use of the facilitites. Just dream about what the cost of the stadia in Cincinnati could have done if directed at private business instead of the honor-us local sports teams.

Yes, when I realized my cost to take the family to a pro sports game in Cincinnati would exceed my weekly grocery bill, I thought something is out of wkack here! Those who believe otherwise is a good reason why you and I do not see eye-to-eye.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,630,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The Browns managed to win their first preseason game ...

But they are going to lose their 2nd preseason game.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:16 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,659,464 times
Somehow, kjbrill, I doubt you got much enjoyment out of either the 2005 or 2009 Bengals, both of which sold out the season at PBS, won the division and made it to the playoffs (or last year's exciting division-winning Reds, for that matter). And, if not for that dirty play that took out Carson Palmer on the second play of the playoffs, the '05 Bengals could very well have gone quite a long way - if not all the way.

Alas, we'll never know. That being said, the day that Mike Brown finally, uhh, can't run this team anymore (I'm phrasing that one mildly) will be a fun night in Cincinnati-area bars.

P.S. I took my nephew to the Reds game on Friday night. We parked for free on the street, bought $5 tickets, two sodas and a bag of Sour Patch kids, or whatever those things are called. Total cost: Less than $20, and that was to see an exciting 5-3 Reds' win and post-game fireworks. Had we packed water and snacks, our cost would have been $10. I don't get the cost arguments. Sure, if you want to sit behind the dugout and pound beers all night (which I have been known to do), the cost goes up appreciably. But a night at the ballpark in Cincinnati is hardly cost-prohibitive.

Frankly, the Reds are cheaper than a lot of other forms of entertainment. For example, how much would it cost a family of four to go see Harry Potter, complete with popcorn and drinks (no movie theater will allow you to bring your own water in like the Reds do)? How much would it cost to take your kids to Kings Island? The Aquarium? The Zoo?

Last edited by abr7rmj; 08-15-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM

34 posts, read 63,855 times
1995 was the last time the Reds or Bengals won a postseason game. 16 years without a playoff win has to be a record for professional sports in a major city. Can anyone think of longer dry spells, and let's include basketball and hockey while we are at it.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:16 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,659,464 times
Kansas City's combined drought is worse than Cincinnati's:

Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since Jan. 16, 1993
Royals haven't won a playoff game since October 1985 and have had just one winning season since 1994

KC, like Cincinnati, has no NHL team and lost its NBA team (ironically, the same franchise that originally left Cincinnati). Kansas City has no major college teams in the city or metro and, therefore, has no Final Fours or BCS bowl games, like Cincinnati has with UC.

So, I'd say KC is longer suffering.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM

34 posts, read 63,855 times
Not on the bottom of the list, I guess that makes me feel better....kinda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati