U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 PM

13,760 posts, read 22,982,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Seriously, I'm not sure why Cincinnati is linked with goetta to the extent that it is. I get that it's a west side thing, but the next time I see it somewhere other than Findlay Market might actually be the first time. It's a myth - like the "what high school did you go to" myth.
It is in EVERY Kroger's and Bigg's supermarket in the Cincinnati area right next to the pork sausage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 AM

31,392 posts, read 57,632,557 times
You can get a goetta omelet at any chili parlor or diner or breakfast joint.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,971,343 times
Hardly even a West Side thing. http://www.echo-hydepark.com/Echo_menu.pdf

Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,424,497 times
My great grandmother Schottelkotte started the goetta thing in our family and she brought the recipe as an immigrant from Germany. They lived in St Bernard. We have passed the recipe down and my three daughters all make it too. I have one daughter-in-law of Italian decent who does not like it so my son has to come home to get his fix.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:59 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,668,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is in EVERY Kroger's and Bigg's supermarket in the Cincinnati area right next to the pork sausage.
Maybe I'm just not looking for it so I don't see it.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm just not looking for it so I don't see it.
You are not missing much. It may be better than nothing, but I prefer to go without.

Even a 15 minurte quickie made with Quaker Rolled Oats and ground pork/beef with some coarse ground pepper thrown in beats what is sold in the store. The store product is steel cut oats, lots and lots of oats. Do a little math, oats are a lot less expense than pork/beef.

Reminds me of corn mush, which I prefer with a good dose of maple syprup.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 PM

89 posts, read 159,315 times
According to the grand old Wikipedia, 99% of all goetta produced by Glier's, the largest goetta producer, is consumed in Cincinnati. I've seen it in almost every grocery store I've visited in Cincinnati; of course, most of them have been in north central or the west side.

It's okay. I thought it tasted pretty much like bacon. From what I understand, it goes back a long way to when the poor German immigrants in Cincinnati would cut their sausage with sawdust to make the food last longer during hard times.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM

I think the cutting of sausage with sawdust may be a tale. Why use sawdust what oats are so cheap?

Many people also equate goetta with the scrapple produced by the Pennsylvania Dutch immigrants from primarily southwestern Germany. While scrapple has similarities in texture it a decidedly different dish produced from pork scraps combined with cornmeal and buckwheat flour plus spices. Look up a traditional recipe for producing scrapple and I can guarantee you it is not even close to our family recipe for goetta brought over from the old country.

My family may have augmented their receipe for goetta somewhat, as when they immigrated to Cincinnati it was known as Porkopolis, being the primary hog butchering location east of the Mississippi. If you have an abundant supply of better ingredients, why not use them?

Also, don't forget while many references existed to the Germanic peoples, who were spread over several areas of north/central Europe, the first actual Country of Germany was first established in 1871. My parents used to reference we were descended from Low Dutch, compared to High Dutch. I never got a satisfactory explanation of the difference, because frankly I do not think they knew.

When I try to look up Low Dutch, I get references to Flemish people. Who are Flemish?, never heard of Flemland. Then I read further and it tells me they were the Dutch speaking portion of Belgium. Now when you compare Belgium and try to break it down, area wise, it is like dissecting Greater Cincinnati.

My point in all of this is to say, the entire continent of Europe is less than the land area of the US. So we have to realize the people who immigrated here, and all of the stories concerning their arrival and all of our family ancestors, have to be compared to what our country needs hear and now.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,012,003 times
Quote:
... and then you have the cynical, cranky natives who have always lived here, rarely ever go anywhere, love to complain about it, trash its potential, scoff at its ambitions, oppose all its efforts to better itself and don't really want to see it grow and prosper.
Used to be like that myself, but saw the light thanks to my last couple of visits to the Queen City. What's going on Downtown and in Over-the-Rhine (I left Cincinnati in 1996, back when anything north of Central Parkway was no-man's land) is nothing short of incredible. I brought a friend of mine (whose lived all over the country) to Cincinnati back in April of this year and he was impressed by what the city had to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
My great grandmother Schottelkotte
No relation to Al, is it?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
No relation to Al, is it?
No direct relationship far as I know. It was a large family with many splinter groupings. My great-grandmother had 12 kids of her own. My grandmother was the youngest of the 12 who died when my father was 2 a result of the birth of his sister. In subsequent years we used to have a family picnic/renunion at Harvest Home Park in Cheviot. Just about took over the entire park there were so many of us.

My mother used to say great-grandmother mixed her goetta in a washtub as it was the only utensil large enough to hold it. Mom also said great-grandmother Schottelkotte was one of the greatest cooks she ever knew. When you have 12 kids, get down to their offspring such as my father when they are married, and then have the whole bunch over for Sunday dinner, you had better well know how to feed a crowd.

Last edited by kjbrill; 08-29-2011 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or