U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 02:11 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times

Advertisements

Many Cincinnatians are advocates of the southern KY lake region - Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley and the land between the lakes. I know several people who spend their entire summer oriented around activities there. They either own property on or near the lakes and spend each weekend there. Spend Friday night after work driving to the lake destination and spend late Sunday night driving back.

Even though I am retired and therefore can come and go at will, I am not prepared for the intensity they expend on these weekend excursions.

I have heard the lake levels have been substantially reduced by those in charge. Some people who had docks are now looking at dry land. The reason I understand is a concern the impounding dams may be weakening. Whether there is an impending catastrophic collapse I don't know.

This entire complex is part of the TVA. Another example of how a government run operation has no idea what the true status is other than pass the buck.

I would like to hear opinions, particularly from those involved. If you purchased property there with a dock and are now looking at dry land, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM

5,316 posts, read 6,616,053 times
I knew a lot more people from Cincinnati who did the weekend trip thing to Lake Cumberland.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM

307 posts, read 441,032 times
Cumberland lake has been lowered due to issues with the wolf creek damn which is an army corp damn and not part of the TVA. While the TVA has issues they've provided some pretty important services over time, mainly powering the manhattan project activities in oak ridge. At it's peak production oak ridge was consing 1/7 of the electricity produced in the entire US.

Sorry for the tangent, just wanted to share a fun fact of history with eveyone.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,395,791 times
It's Lake Cumberland in Somerset which is wildly popular with the Ohio people, which confuses the locals but anyway....

Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Cumberland lake has been lowered due to issues with the wolf creek damn which is an army corp damn and not part of the TVA. While the TVA has issues they've provided some pretty important services over time, mainly powering the manhattan project activities in oak ridge. At it's peak production oak ridge was consing 1/7 of the electricity produced in the entire US.

Sorry for the tangent, just wanted to share a fun fact of history with eveyone.
I thank you for pointing out it is Cumberland lake which has the dam problem. Some people I know say the water level has been reduced 100 feet. Seems like a whole bunch to me. Is there a plan to solve the problem? I have also been told the native vegetation is growing back with a vengence. Saplings, full fledged trees, etc covering the exposed banks. If I were a property owner with a cabin along the shoreline I would likely be upset.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM

307 posts, read 441,032 times
My only familiarity with the lake is from a caving prespective. With the water being down new parts of caves are open which would be pretty wild to explore. I feel like I've heard a time table as to a fix but I can't recall what it was.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 PM

9,707 posts, read 7,654,638 times
Lake Cumberland is huge, and even with the drawdown, it contains plenty of water for just about every possible activity. More of the shoreline is exposed at present while the Wolf Creek Dam is undergoing needed repairs, but this doesn't adversely affect boating, swimming, fishing, etc.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Lake Cumberland is huge, and even with the drawdown, it contains plenty of water for just about every possible activity. More of the shoreline is exposed at present while the Wolf Creek Dam is undergoing needed repairs, but this doesn't adversely affect boating, swimming, fishing, etc.
Not exactly what I hear from some property owners at the eastern end. Work on portions of the dam was suspended for six months, don't understand exactly why. Projected completion has now been moved from Oct. 2012 to Dec. 2012. Like most government projects it will like slip further and greatly over budget. I don't understand why a new dam downstream was not considered rather than the patchwork quilt of repairs with still no guarantee of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or