U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,291,215 times

Advertisements

That's the thing about the middle part of the country (excluding some big metros like Chicago, but even that pales to the coasts) that are dirt cheap compared to the once hot markets. CTtoOH, I've heard of numerous people moving in from elsewhere in the country (sometimes military, sometimes jobs, sometimes to get away from the prices) and can easily afford to take a loss on their house because they are still paying less on a home here.

Granted, it still sticks you financially if you sell at a loss because you way overpaid on a home a few years ago. However, people like MoMark have come here paying cash for $200-300K homes, some brand new, because they bought in before the overblown speculation and even if they sold since the bust, they can still come out ahead.

The ones I feel the most for are people like fauxgal, or even worse, people cornered by sub-prime and ARM loans. Not that you made a horrible investment decision. You have to have shelter. And not nearly as many people are as versed in real estate as MoMark or Cosmic (of which I tend to agree with). Some of the people who've recently built in our neighborhood way overpaid the appraisal and when they got transfered, they didn't gain much if anything on the sale. Some have even taken a greater loss. Still, even with Ohio's migration of manufacturing jobs, our small patch of the state will continue to have buyers pending the feds don't close the lifeblood of an Air Force Base here. The appriciation isn't great, but at least it's still there in some form. Just stay out of old cities and suburbs tied to the shrinking manufacturing sector.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 04:58 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,941,212 times
Amen, Wrightflyer. Even here in Washington Twp, houses haven't moved as fast as they have previously. We've had several houses on the market in our neighborhood. One is still for sale. Not sure what the final sale price for the ones that sold (they should be in the "Houses Sold" pages of the DDN's real estate section soon...) The one still for sale is, IMHO, still overpriced after a large price reduction. Especially since the house has some "disclosure statement"-type problems. I believe that while many of the homes around here will sell, I think the days-on-the-market average may be much higher than it was before...

Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM

12 posts, read 35,440 times
Where did you live in Mason? We are thinking of moving there from Connecticut next summer.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,977 times
Fauxgirl

Do you have a link to your house you could post? It sounds nice. We're moving to the area. We're concentrating on the West Chester area, but Lebanon isn't too far removed. We're probably only going to be in the area for 3 years or so, so renting is also something I've thought about.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:52 AM

5 posts, read 36,823 times
Hello to everyone. First time posting, so bare with me. I am moving from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati, and I am seeking advice on certain areas. The most likely places that I will move to are Blanchester or Goshen. Second tier choices include Wilmington, Milford, or Fayette City. I am retired and have no school aged children. I would like to spend less than $150,000 for a home. Would anyone wish to advise me on which community to move to, given the above information? Low taxes in Blanchester are a nice feature. But, what am I giving up to get the low taxes? I may travel on RT 275 once a week, so being close to that road is not a high priority. I like the idea that my home will appreciate in value. Can you tell me if homes in Blanchester or Goshen are rising in value? I have read some posts dealing with the poor real estate market in Cincinnati. My experience may be unique. I made an offer on a home in Blanchester, and was given a counter offer, so the seller was in no rush to sell. About a month before that I made an offer on a home in Goshen, and the seller insisted that he receive full list price. I sure get the impression that the market is not bad in these areas. My home has been on the market for 8 months without any offers. so I know of the flustration that some posters have expressed. Anyway, thanks for any informaiton you can give me on this.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 AM

520 posts, read 1,751,611 times
Well, I was going to respond but I can't really say anything nice about Blanchester or Goshen. They are both kind of out in the sticks. Thats all I'll say.

What kind of place are you looking for?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 36,823 times
Default relocation to the sticks

Thanks for your reply. Let me give you some more details, and you will see the extend of my problem. Yes, I agree with you that Blanchester and Goshen are located in dull areas. I have a son that lives in Blanchester with his family. I am almost 100% sure that he only moved to Blanchester due to affordable housing. His knowledge of that part of Cincinnati is really limited, so I am not asking him for much advice. Probably, the most common thing I will do is visit with him and his family many times per week. Therefore it seems to make sense to move close by. However, in order to find a greater selection of homes, I have enlarged my selection are to include all of Clinton county, and some of Brown, Clermont and Warren Counties.
I have read the postings of others, and there seems to be a lot of subjectivity to where a person lives, and reactions to what people have seen in the past, in this part of Ohio. For example, I think the business district of Wilmington would be a comfort to me. So living within walking distance would be nice. However, I have driven through many streets of Wilmington’s inner city, and the houses are in many cases in disrepair. No way that I want to live in that are. Yes, I could move to a suburb of Wilmington. But, what would be the advantage of doing so over living in Blanchester where I could walk in safety to a few stores, and to my son’s residence. The housing in Blanchester may not be great, but from what I have seen most homes are in good repair. Goshen seems to be more rural, but is still close to Blanchester. Milford is way more expensive, farther away from my destination, and more congested.
So, what I am looking for are reasons to avoid one of the target areas that I mentioned in my last post, so that I can narrow my search for a home, instead of broadening my search. Maybe there are other communities that I have not thought of that would be a reasonable drive to Blanchester. Maybe there are reasons to live in Milford (Miami Township) that I am not away of.
So, I am not relocating for employment, social events, fine restaurants, or quality of education. Can you give me any advice, under these conditions.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM

30 posts, read 115,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hutchinson View Post
Thanks for your reply. Let me give you some more details, and you will see the extend of my problem. Yes, I agree with you that Blanchester and Goshen are located in dull areas. I have a son that lives in Blanchester with his family. I am almost 100% sure that he only moved to Blanchester due to affordable housing. His knowledge of that part of Cincinnati is really limited, so I am not asking him for much advice. Probably, the most common thing I will do is visit with him and his family many times per week. Therefore it seems to make sense to move close by. However, in order to find a greater selection of homes, I have enlarged my selection are to include all of Clinton county, and some of Brown, Clermont and Warren Counties.
I have read the postings of others, and there seems to be a lot of subjectivity to where a person lives, and reactions to what people have seen in the past, in this part of Ohio. For example, I think the business district of Wilmington would be a comfort to me. So living within walking distance would be nice. However, I have driven through many streets of Wilmington’s inner city, and the houses are in many cases in disrepair. No way that I want to live in that are. Yes, I could move to a suburb of Wilmington. But, what would be the advantage of doing so over living in Blanchester where I could walk in safety to a few stores, and to my son’s residence. The housing in Blanchester may not be great, but from what I have seen most homes are in good repair. Goshen seems to be more rural, but is still close to Blanchester. Milford is way more expensive, farther away from my destination, and more congested.
So, what I am looking for are reasons to avoid one of the target areas that I mentioned in my last post, so that I can narrow my search for a home, instead of broadening my search. Maybe there are other communities that I have not thought of that would be a reasonable drive to Blanchester. Maybe there are reasons to live in Milford (Miami Township) that I am not away of.
So, I am not relocating for employment, social events, fine restaurants, or quality of education. Can you give me any advice, under these conditions.
If your looking for a suburb of Wilmington in Clinton County, may i suggest Sabina. It is probably 25 minutes to Blanchester. It is located on US 22 about 8 miles east of Wilmington. Its only about 7 miles from I-71. You can be in either Cincinnati or Columbus within an hour, The prime outlets mall is about 15 minutes away. Washington Court House is about 12 minutes east and there are restaurants there as well as Wilmington. The people are very friendly and inviting. There are about 2,900 people that live in Sabina. We have like 5 restaurants, 3 large factories, 2 parks, a pharmacy, nursing home, grocery store, Family dollar, possible subway, and several downtown businesses. Its a growing area, its not a slum, there are some very nice housing opportunities located here. There is several land and lots available. If its approved there is 53 acres to be developed for housing. Sabina is in the East Clinton School Dist. Sabina is home to Sabina Elementary, with about 420 kids enrolled. The high school and middle school are located in Lees Creek, a small village about 4 miles from town, and another elementary school is in the village of New Vienna on St. Rt. 28. There are about 500 kids in the high school and is a good place for kids to learn.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
i might have to move to cincinatti, how much can i get a house or condo for starting in a good school district near kenwood mall ? is the market there crashing like in atlanta?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 AM

561 posts, read 1,879,949 times
^ You should post your question in a new thread. This one is over a year old and people might not respond.

Try a realtor's website. huff.com or sibcy cline. You can check their MLS. Specifically select Kenwood, and maybe Madiera or Montgomery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or