U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,395,175 times

Advertisements

I am as little lazy myself. But basically the original Lazarus Co. headquartered in Columbus. who bought Shillito and a number of other department stores became the backbone of Federated Dept. Stores, Once they relocated corporate headquarters to Cincinnati from Columbus I have no information of their ever moving out of Cincinnati. The location of the Federated Dept. Stores headquarters in Cincinnati has been here for years. Since Lazarus was one of their founding divisions, and the owners of Shillto, Rikes, plus several others I seriously doubt they ever left Cincinnati as their headquarters. As Federated acquired a number of other store chains, over a period of time they divested themselves of several, particularly those oriented to just shopping center, specifically discount, stores across the county. But to my knowledge, Lazarus was a bullwork of the Federated brand and never relocated their headquarters outside of Cincinnati.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 PM

3,386 posts, read 3,711,521 times
^ Just "wiki'ed" info about Lazarus, kjbrill. Not much there except that in 1995, Lazarus was merged with Rich's in Atlanta. Back then it was such big local business news that it made the front page of the Enquirer because of all the high-paying jobs going literally south. (its importance then was akin to waking up today and reading that Chiquita had actually chosen Miami to move to)

Old 11-11-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Just "wiki'ed" info about Lazarus, kjbrill. Not much there except that in 1995, Lazarus was merged with Rich's in Atlanta. Back then it was such big local business news that it made the front page of the Enquirer because of all the high-paying jobs going literally south. (its importance then was akin to waking up today and reading that Chiquita had actually chosen Miami to move to)
Not sure exactly what happened in 1995, as the Lazarus stores continued to operate as Lazarus, and the total, including Macy's which had been bought by Rich's owned by Federated Deepartment Stores with it headquarters in Cincinnati. In 2009 it was decided to close the buisiness headquarters in Atlanta, virtually all of the stores renamed to Macy's and the parent holding company renamed from Federated Department Stores to Macy's Inc. with corporate headquarters in Cincinnati and New York City.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-11-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 02:05 PM

3,386 posts, read 3,711,521 times
^ Thanks, kjbrill, for the follow-up! (Wish I had the means to dip down into the Enquirer archives w/o paying them any money in order to look for that particular front-page from 1995...) Maybe, in some mysterious corporate way, many of those jobs returned to Cincinnati. So many cities are battered by these corporate moves--for example, I can just imagine the distress of many people in St. Louis when May Company became a part of Macy's. Great for Cincy; not-so-great for St. Louis...

Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 PM

295 posts, read 814,779 times
PMed you Motorman.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:42 AM

Macy's Inc. has further streamlined recently, closing regional offices, selling or closing a number of underperforming stores, and reducing personnel. Basically merchandise purchasing is handled out of New York while business and personnel decisions are handled out of Cincinnati. Best I can tell they still operate about 850 department stores across the country in what is now down to two banners - Macy's and Bloomingdale's.

It is very interesting reading their history, what with the large number of old department store names across the country which have been adsorbed. Major names like Rich's in Atlanta, Macy's, May, Felene's, Marshall Fields, Kaufman's, and so many more.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-12-2011 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: add content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati