U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 05:18 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,355,053 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a great website that summarizes the melting pot that is Cincinnati.

Cincinnati may not have quite the diverse variety of immigrants and ethnic groups throughout its history the way Chicago or Cleveland had/has,

but this a great website that briefly sums up the major groups that helped to create the cultural melting pot that is Cincinnati. Its pretty basic but it essentially sums up the immigrant experience of

the Germans, the Irish, the African Americans, the Jews, the Appalachians, and the Hispanics.

With the ultimate message, that despite the differences, there were similar experiences among all the groups. Enjoy!

:: Cincinnati, A City of Immigrants ::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
I did a rather speed reading job on it, but from what I saw it appears accurate and objective in the assessments. I am sure there will be those who disagree which always happens.

It strengthens my opinion that whenever a large group of people suddenly shows up in an area they previously have not been there will be friction with the current inhabitants. There seems to be an innate distrust of those who have cultural customs different from our own.

Last edited by kjbrill; 08-30-2011 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 09-05-2011, 04:36 AM

555 posts, read 736,522 times
Why did they leave out Italians?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:53 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
I have a little rule about the Internet. When I see something that looks sort of enticing, like that pamphlet, but I can't figure out the point in a couple of minutes, it has a hidden agenda. I assume the hidden agenda here is Hispanic amnesty. Given a greater desire than I care to muster for this, I am pretty sure I can prove it.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
It doesn't take a genius to look at the source and realize there is a message behind it. But I believe the overall message that every significant immigrant group which came to Cincinnati had obstacles to overcome is true and meaningful. The Hispanics may simply be the latest.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:57 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,440,335 times
I find it curious that the "authors" would cite the political violence of 1855 as standing for that obstacle. First, it was a purely local political dispute, the "American Party" trying to get a mayor elected, and second it amounted to all of two days and cost about as many lives as what the Mexican drug dealers kill in Texas and Arizona every day (7). Big deal.

Legal immigrants face no obstacles here other than learning English and keeping their relatives from coming here illegally and compromising their immigration status.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 PM

7,696 posts, read 5,424,227 times
And yes, what about the Italians mentioned above. They have been here quite a while. Where are the Greeks? (No Greeks= no Skyline)

What about the newer influx of immigrants from the Soviet Union and Africa?

Look around the west side of town and see many East and Central African immigrants.

Look at the Pakistani and Afgans toward the north end of town near the Mosque.

I think the time-line is fairly accurate up to more modern times. It is a good start

Old 09-11-2011, 04:07 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,355,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
And yes, what about the Italians mentioned above. They have been here quite a while. Where are the Greeks? (No Greeks= no Skyline)

What about the newer influx of immigrants from the Soviet Union and Africa?

Look around the west side of town and see many East and Central African immigrants.

Look at the Pakistani and Afgans toward the north end of town near the Mosque.

I think the time-line is fairly accurate up to more modern times. It is a good start
The website does make passing mention of these groups as adding to the vitality to greater Cincinnati. Recognition was given, but just within one or two sentences and not a whole page on the website.

But I think one can clearly say that those six groups discussed came in a LARGE wave in that transformed the regions culture, yet were discrimnated because of those transformations.

No doubt there are Italian Americans and Greek Americans that were very important in created culinary institutions in Cincinnati. But in terms of sheer numbers they were much smaller than those other. (The immigrant that started skyline chili I believe was technically Macedonian).

What are the nationality of immigrants from the former Soviet Union? Many of them that have come to the US are Jewish (where I grew up in the Chicago suburbs), so they might fall under that category.

Even in the most cosmopolitan of urban center immigrants from Africa (with the exception of a few places around the country) still remain a somewhat small group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or