U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 PM

248 posts, read 360,225 times

Advertisements

Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati or Louisville?

We're getting ready (3 weeks to go), before we hit the road for a 2 week vacation. We'll be leaving Maine heading for Sharon PA, Cleveland, OH for a few days, then on to Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville - then onto Mammoth Cave, KY onto Nashville, Knoxville, onto VA then back to Lancaster, PA and back to Maine.

Yes we can get a good steak meal anywheres, but these areas seem to be better ones, or ones we'll have time to sit down and enjoy the meal.

Any thoughts and things to see / not miss while we're here?

Skip

- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Little Italy, Candy Warehouse
- Cincinnati Zoo / Garden
- The Caves
- Some entertainment
- and more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM

901 posts, read 1,953,109 times
Make sure you spend some time at the Ohio Renaissance Festival. Definitely worth a chunk of your day.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Sounds like a fairly aggressive itinerary for a two week road trip.

I might suggest skipping Mammoth Cave for a couple of reasons. It is a fair distance off the main highway. I would want rooms at the park lodge right next to the cave entrance, as lodging out around Cave City and the highway is rather sparten in character but not price. If you want the cave, make reservations at the park lodge and plan on a later afternoon arrival. Have a nice meal, a good nights rest, early rising and breakfast, repack the car, and then take the morning tour of the major cave. After the tour head out to your next destination, which if Nashville you can easily make that afternoon.

I assume if you are going to Nashville and then Knoxville you will be taking I-40. That's a drive which seems to last forever. If you just stay on I-40 it takes you to Ashville NC where the largest private residence in the US, the Biltmore House is located. The only place I know which rivals it is Hearst Castle in California.

Last edited by kjbrill; 09-09-2011 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Thank you for the input. Comfort Inn has a place not 8 miles from the cave area that seems fine to us. Heck, 8, 15 20 miles, not like it will matter after what we'll have driven already

Were thinking we might have to drop Nashville or Knoxville for stops at this time, but we'll know better as we progress through out trip.

Skip

Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 PM

If you decide to skip Nashville and Knoxville as stops this trip, you might consider taking the Louie B Nunn Cumberland Parkway just outside of Bowling Green KY, a little south of Mammoth Cave, after a short stop at the National Corvette Museum in B.G., east across KY to I-75 and then south toward Knoxville but taking the east bypass around to I-40 east.

Have you ever been to the Smokey Mountains? If not I would surely take the time to at least drive through the most visited National Park in the US. I know you have plenty of mountains and scenery in Maine, but it would be a shame to miss the Smokeys. If I had never been there I would surely skip Nashville and Knoxville for the opportunity. By the way there is a nice Comfort Inn at the intersection of I-40 and TN-66, the road south through Severville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg. After entering the national park at Gatlinburg the drive up to Klingman's Dome and then back to Newfound Gap and down the south side of the range to Cherokee NC will give you the flavor of the Smokeys. Since it is a major attraction for families, traffic in the park should be somewhat reduced as the kids are back in school. But I would still plan a day for a drive from I-40 to the park, through the main park itself and then across the gap to Cherokee NC. I am sure you can find another Comfort Inn around Cherokee. I just mention this because it is my favorite motel when traveling.

Just outside of Cherokee NC is the sourthern terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway, maybe the most senic highway in the US, all 469 miles of it. Along the entire route there are no direct intersections with an interstate, but it passes through Asheville NC where you could visit the Biltmore House. The northern terminus is at the southern end of the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia where you can pick up the Skyline Drive for another 105 miles. We have taken this route and it is terrific. There is just something very relaxing about stopping and having lunch at one of the senic overlook lodges along the way. If you are lucky the foliage may be starting to turn for fall. One caution, the speed limit on the Blue Ridge Parkway is 45 mph and Skyline Drive 35 mph, so expect it to take you a good long day to traverse the entire distance. If you can find a good reason to break it up it will be better.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 AM

[quote=kjbrill;20822640]If you decide to skip Nashville and Knoxville as stops this trip, you might consider taking the Louie B Nunn Cumberland Parkway just outside of Bowling Green KY, a little south of Mammoth Cave, after a short stop at the National Corvette Museum in B.G., east across KY to I-75 and then south toward Knoxville but taking the east bypass around to I-40 east.

____

Thank you. I've done the Blue Ridge and Skyline drive several times and love it each and every time.

The Smokey Mountains are sounding real nice. I'll check it out on map quest and see how much we can take in without screwing with out time table.

I am limited to 2-3 hours per stop, as my wife needs to stretch her legs.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming.

Skip

Old 09-11-2011, 05:52 PM

[quote=slalemand;20831945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you decide to skip Nashville and Knoxville as stops this trip, you might consider taking the Louie B Nunn Cumberland Parkway just outside of Bowling Green KY, a little south of Mammoth Cave, after a short stop at the National Corvette Museum in B.G., east across KY to I-75 and then south toward Knoxville but taking the east bypass around to I-40 east.

____

Thank you. I've done the Blue Ridge and Skyline drive several times and love it each and every time.

The Smokey Mountains are sounding real nice. I'll check it out on map quest and see how much we can take in without screwing with out time table.

I am limited to 2-3 hours per stop, as my wife needs to stretch her legs.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming.

Skip
Even if you don't stop in Gatlinburg, at least take the drive south on US 441 over the Smokeys to Cherokee, NC and the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, where you'll find a pioneer farmstead (http://www.romanticasheville.com/oconaluftee.htm) - which, alone, makes the drive worthwhile.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 AM

[quote=insightofitall;20837351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post

Even if you don't stop in Gatlinburg, at least take the drive south on US 441 over the Smokeys to Cherokee, NC and the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, where you'll find a pioneer farmstead (Oconaluftee Visitor Center and Mountain Farm Museum in Great Smoky Mountains National Park) - which, alone, makes the drive worthwhile.

I checked out the web site, and it does look like a worth wild stop

Skip

Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM

[quote=slalemand;20842448]
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post

I checked out the web site, and it does look like a worth wild stop

Skip
I hope you enjoy your trip. I've been to the Smokeys many times, though it has been years since I was last there. I miss it so much. I really think you'll love it.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 PM

The main access road from I-40 south through Sevierville, Piegeon Forge, and Gatlinburg TN to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park may be one of the most crassly tourist trap developed sections of road in the US. There is absolutely no reason to stop there, as there is nothing you cannot find back home in Maine and a whole lot you would not want back home in Maine.

But the National Park itself it quite different. Take the route at the entrance outside Gatlinburg, drive up the beautiful scenic vista to Newfound Gap, take the side road up to the highest area in the park Clingman's Dome and the breathtaking views from the observation tower at the peak, then back to Newfound Gap and down the south side to Cherokee NC.

Consider Insightofitall's advice to visit the Oconaluftee Visitor Center which is near the entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway outside of Cherokee NC. Since you say you have done it before, you might want to consider taking just the portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway northeast to Asheville NC. where you could exit and visit the Biltmore House.

I believe the most direct route from Asheville NC to Lancaster PA would be I-81. I assume you have either relatives or some other reason to return to Maine via Lancaster PA.

I know time constraints and traveling schedules may be a problem. But I still say being able to say we have seen the Smokeys is a good thing. If you are a native of Maine, I would assume you have made the majority of the east coast trips before. This would include Virginia, the Shenandoah Valley, and the Skyline Drive.

Of course, if you are a native of Maine I have no idea why you would want to visit Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati OH plus Louisville KY, let alone Mammoth Cave. So I suspect there is something more complex behind this. Please let us all know what is behind this trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati