U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 AM

112 posts, read 318,312 times

Advertisements

No don't kill my thread. Just keep the comments about Crossroads. I've read numerous reviews online and lot of people like it. However, when I was in college one guy said he felt it was like a cult with so many groups and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
This kind of thinking starts wars

The moderator said essentially the same thing. Here we were talking about Crossroads and all of a sudden we are getting a bunch of dogma.

Crossroads is a great resource, a friendly place to experience spirituality, and a good citizen and neighbor. Why anyone would think otherwise is simply their own pathology. That pathology leads them to a drive by criticism of Crossroads then a call to close the thread because of their own misconduct.

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-13-2011 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStar00 View Post
No don't kill my thread. Just keep the comments about Crossroads. I've read numerous reviews online and lot of people like it. However, when I was in college one guy said he felt it was like a cult with so many groups and so on.
LOL. Don't worry, the moderator distinctly does NOT take instructions from me. I've been a real offender about getting the thread off track, although I suspect the people with direct experience with Crossroads have already weighed in long since. Along with all the people who've ever known anyone who went there once or twice. Along with the people who've driven past the building a few times.

In the end, you've got to make up your own mind anyway.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 AM

I know I have to make my own mind up. I'm just gathering research and not making any changes for a few months.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStar00 View Post
I know I have to make my own mind up. I'm just gathering research and not making any changes for a few months.

I have no idea why people have been pressing this on you as a decision you have to make. You don't. That is just the point of a "seeker" type church. You go, you see if they have what you are looking for. If you want more, you go on Wednesday or join a study group. You want less, you stick to coffee and Christmas services.

You said you were there years ago and maybe for Christmas last year. So go on Saturdays for a while and see if you like it. You don't have to make any decision. That is the type of thing Crossroads is trying to avoid. Some churches, you will be confronted after a few visits: "are you going to join? Tithe? Participate?"

You won't get that at Crossroads.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I resisted chiming in because I know nothing about the situation. But the direction of the thread was becoming everything distasteful, belligerent, antagonostic, hateful, vindictive and every other negative adjective you want to apply to human interaction. It is a shame we cannot let some people have a dialogue concerning a institution they mutually respect or at least have direct experience with and let it go at that.
I'd really like to know what I've said on this thread that you found so extraordinarily offensive.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
No, it doesn't. Thinking "I'm justified in killing people who don't agree with my beliefs" is the kind of thinking that starts wars.
I don't see that as too far removed from "I have no need to re-examine my thoughts." What Crossroads seems to be doing is saying, "Hey it is okay to think, and examine and re-examine your thoughts and beliefs." Empathy and understanding are something the church lacks severely and is if Crossroads is offering that, they will continue to succeed.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I have no idea why people have been pressing this on you as a decision you have to make. You don't. That is just the point of a "seeker" type church. You go, you see if they have what you are looking for. If you want more, you go on Wednesday or join a study group. You want less, you stick to coffee and Christmas services.

You said you were there years ago and maybe for Christmas last year. So go on Saturdays for a while and see if you like it. You don't have to make any decision. That is the type of thing Crossroads is trying to avoid. Some churches, you will be confronted after a few visits: "are you going to join? Tithe? Participate?"

You won't get that at Crossroads.

OK, now that we have all of that out of the way, can we get back Crossroads?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM

I went this past Christmas to their Christmas program and loved it. It was one of the best programs I've seen. Most Sat's i'm at my son's football games and by the time I get home and changed i'm worn out and want to take a nap. But I am going to try and go to one service on Saturadays

Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Keep comments about CROSSROADS please only!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati