U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,017,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Why don't you try it out before making assumptions. My wife and I have been going there for six months and I can guarantee it is NOT an entertainment complex. I come from a more traditional church background (Lutheran) and I have heard some of the best theology since we have been going there of any church I have been to...

Since we really like what they do and what they stand for, we aren't ready to give up yet! Our next step is to get involved by joining a service team of some sort. Hopefully we will get to know others, make friends, and have a chance to share our talents.
I have quite a bit of experience with how churches work, and your notion of getting involved in service work is exactly key, regardless of the size of the church. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 05:05 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm no particular fan of mega-churches, but they obviously have their place in 21st Century America (and elsewhere) or they would not exist in such numbers. Painting them all with the Jim Bakker brush is really pretty unfair. I've seen no evidence that anyone in the leadership/management at Crossroads in particular or at most of them in general is making off with illegal profits, or taking advantage of their members--financially or otherwise--in any way. I'm sure their senior leadership is well paid, although probably not nearly what they could command in similar management positions in the private sector.

If you want to make a case against the mega-churches, do it on their actual shortcomings.
I am not making a case against the mega-churches, and my reference to Jim Bakker did not mean to imply their leadership is taking off with church funds, thought Jim sure did. I was referencing more the style of the presentation, more like a Disney Production. Just reminds me of the Crystal Cathedral in California, and frankly the Solid Rock Church in Warren County. I am not out to crusade against anyone, just say you rock your ship your direction and I will rock mine.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:13 PM

I will simply state Crossroads must be filling a need, considering their rapid growth. My only knowledge of them is what I hear and read. That is not enough information to make either a condemnation or a recommendation, so I make neither. I just recognize their growth and think wow a lot of people must be satisfied with their approach.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:04 PM

196 posts, read 186,807 times
Just saw this thread for the first time - I guess it started back when I wasn't on the forum very often.

Anyway, I was amused by some of the previous comments from a few years ago where people said Crossroads was like a big social club. That's one of the biggest reasons why I stopped attending a traditional mainstream church several years ago. Talk about cliques and social climbing out the wazoo.

I started attending Crossroads recently and I love it. I'm sure there's people generated nonsense going on there, too - I just haven't been involved enough yet to really experience it. But so far, it appears to be greatly outweighed by all the positives. Namely that you're treated like an adult instead of like a wayward child who needs to get with the program.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 PM

3,419 posts, read 3,798,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
...I started attending Crossroads recently and I love it. I'm sure there's people generated nonsense going on there, too - I just haven't been involved enough yet to really experience it. But so far, it appears to be greatly outweighed by all the positives. Namely that you're treated like an adult instead of a wayward child who needs to get with the program.
Thanks for an informative, positive review of this Cincinnati mega-church as you've experienced it.

As for myself, even though I've watched videos of Crossroads' presentations and visited it more than once, I've held back from going any farther--namely because I don't honor Christianity's mantra that "Homo sapiens were created in sin and therefore require god-sent absolution, via an only begotten son."

So it seems like Crossroads' main "cross to bear" is that it's nothing less than an huge, captivating transition from then thru now into tomorrow--and "tomorrow's" no one's given, least of all primitive religion.

As for myself, I'm not guilty"of any such crimes of such outdated, crazy mythology--therefore, if Carl Sagan, Christopher Hitchens or Lisa Randall said it, I acknowledge it.

And, if you feel you need own up to your own "innate human depravity," then please do so w/o my consent. All you need do is consult such "experts" as Augustine, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, James Bolce, Martin Lloyd Jones or Arthur Pink to determine your own level of guilt. Crossroads/Oakley says "no/yes/maybe" to all such things--therefore, in 2014 AD, what's there not to like about this contemporary Oakley mega-church's radical transition from yesterday into tomorrow?

Last edited by motorman; 06-04-2014 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Thanks for an informative, positive review of this Cincinnati mega-church as you've experienced it.

As for myself, even though I've watched videos of Crossroads' presentations and visited it more than once, I've held back from going any farther--namely because I don't honor Christianity's mantra that "Homo sapiens were created in sin and therefore require god-sent absolution, via an only begotten son."

So it seems like Crossroads' main "cross to bear" is that it's nothing less than an huge, captivating transition from then thru now into tomorrow--and "tomorrow's" no one's given, least of all primitive religion.

As for myself, I'm not guilty"of any such crimes of such outdated, crazy mythology--therefore, if Carl Sagan, Christopher Hitchens or Lisa Randall said it, I acknowledge it.

And, if you feel you need own up to your own "innate human depravity," then please do so w/o my consent. All you need do is consult such "experts" as Augustine, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, James Bolce, Martin Lloyd Jones or Arthur Pink to determine your own level of guilt. Crossroads/Oakley says "no/yes/maybe" to all such things--therefore, in 2014 AD, what's there not to like about this contemporary Oakley mega-church's radical transition from yesterday into tomorrow?
So I take it you don't agree with the concept of "original sin", right? But why come down on a person who simply stated their exprience has been rewarding at Crosswods? Your personal position is just that, personal. But I don't think you are going to have much affect on the millions of people in this world who think otherwise. Don't really understand the purpose of your post.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:55 PM

3,419 posts, read 3,798,625 times
^ It's very simple, kjbrill... For decades on end, our modern world has endured the swan-songs of primitive religions. Finally, enough is enough. (Got my drift?)

Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM

196 posts, read 186,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ It's very simple, kjbrill... For decades on end, our modern world has endured the swan-songs of primitive religions. Finally, enough is enough. (Got my drift?)

You should demand a refund from that charm school you flunked out of. Maybe they'll give you a full refund of your misery while they're at it.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
You should demand a refund from that charm school you flunked out of. Maybe they'll give you a full refund of your misery while they're at it.
Great comment and my feelings exactly. Wants to talk about primitive, yet has nothing to promote to replace it other than what every-man-for-himself?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:48 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,017,298 times
Speaking in a demeaning and insulting tone about other people'e religious beliefs doesn't make one look intellectual or enlightened, it just alienates them. I have opinions about Crossroads despite the fact that I've never attended a service there. Hearing from those who have has been interesting and informative. What on earth is the point in insulting them? If you have nothing to say on the topic of the thread, how about saying nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati