U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 06:05 AM

3,419 posts, read 3,798,625 times

Advertisements

^ At this point I need to exit this discussion and its intended focus on one specific Christian church rather than help it become an angry debate over religion itself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:48 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ At this point I need to exit this discussion and its intended focus on one specific Christian church rather than help it become an angry debate over religion itself.
Wise decision. Religious debates become nasty in a hurry.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM

465 posts, read 509,673 times
My only experience with Crossroads is trying to make sure that I start any shopping at Meiijer or Target early enough to avoid the Crossroads related traffic. So I certainly have to thank them for making sure my Sundays aren't that lazy.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM

31 posts, read 42,568 times
They are a weird, creepy cult. I stopped in to the Eastside location for half an hour and that was all I could handle.

Big, fat nope.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:43 AM

196 posts, read 163,842 times
A cult? Please explain what you mean. I have been going there for 5+ years and donít think they are a cult at all. If you donít want to go your are free not to. If you are interested in learning more about Godís love for his creation and what it means to live a life following Jesus (not just talk) then I encourage you to go back and give it another chance.

If you did not like the ďflairĒ or culture of the Eastside campus there are others you could try like Oakley, Florence, Uptown, Westside, etc. look on their website for a location you might want to try. Heck, you can even just watch online live if that would be better for you.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 AM

196 posts, read 186,807 times
I used to go to Crossroads on a pretty regular basis for a few years. Last time I went was probably about a year and a half ago.

This is strictly a personal preference on my part, but it got old to have to stand through 20 minutes of music that isn't my cup of tea to get to the part I was really there for, the sermons, which were almost always very good. I still watch their videos online once in a while and just skip through the music and the demands to sign up for Man Camp and all that.

Then, a couple years ago, they were launching this big campaign, they revealed what this big campaign would be supporting, and they were exhorting everyone to dig deep into their pockets and be "all in" and all that happy stuff. I didn't have a problem with that. I think they're honest in how they spend money. All those big buildings and mission trips have to be paid for somehow.

In the course of making that appeal for this big campaign (don't even remember the name of the campaign now), Brian, the head pastor, said something along the lines of if you're not all in, digging deep, and just wanting to nitpick and criticize the plans they had, then you can leave now. I thought to myself, "Well, I just might leave." And I mostly did quit coming after that.

He routinely says inflammatory stuff to get the troops fired up and to get people out of their comfort zones. But something seemed different about it that time. I guess I didn't care for the implication that I must not be "all in" if I'm not 100% sold on an idea.

With that said, if you're curious about Crossroads, check it out and form your own opinion. I'm just one person with one experience and they do a lot of good works.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:36 PM

15 posts, read 16,619 times
Wow, it seems like the people who keep saying we shouldn't be talking about religion or haven't been to Crossroads are the most vocal in their criticism of it. Let me be clear, I was born and raised Catholic. But now I am a "recovering Catholic". I have never been to Crossroads and probably never will. As I stated, I am a recovering Catholic, who wavers between agnostic/indifferent so at this point in my life I have no curiosity to seek out new churches/faiths. I understand the original posters desire to get some opinions regarding the Crossroads, but at the end of the day these decisions are personal...which makes it hard to understand why people are so aggressively against the OP or anyone for that matter going to whatever church they choose to go to. I only mention this because I, coming from a Catholic background, would never be interested in a church such as this. I have gone to special occasions at non-denominational Christian churches (which appear on the surface to be different to "mainline" protestant churches. (Sorry, no offense meant, I am using the vernacular that my protestant friends use), and they seem "flashy" (contemporary), which is inconsistent with Roman Catholic masses, which seem "formalistic" (traditional). For the first 18 years of my life, most of my social circle was Catholic and we would joke that everything we do in life has to be needlessly difficult, boring which infuses a bit of misery in everything we do. If it doesn't we feel guilty because it doesn't. I am only joking...kind of, but when I have gone to these services, I feel more guilty than when I entered because they make services positive. As a Catholic (even recovering) I wear that "Catholic guilt" like a coat that keeps me warm in winter. It may be more comfortable without it, but I freeze without it.

Even though I have lapsed in my Catholicism, I take an interest in the differences in religions. It appears that this decision for you seems like it is more of a personal decision as non-Catholics religious journey is much more personal that of a Catholic, whose worship (mass) seems much more communal--which IMO, makes Catholic masses more uniform wherever you go.This is not to say your worship isn't community based, but that Roman Catholics generally don't rely on their own reading of the Bible, as the focus of their mass, but rely on priest's interpretation of what the Bible says. In fact, I grew up in the 80s and 90s, went to catholic schools throughout, my whole family was Catholic, and we were kind of told we didn't have to read the Bible, our personal, active thing we did was confession and the rosary. Hopefully you were able to use some of this information, coupled with your own personal experiences at various churches, to make the right decision.

Old Today, 05:12 PM

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStar00 View Post
Hello I'm a single parent in my later 20's. I have a church home that moved from Norwood to Northside. I love my church but its too far. I live in Columbia township which is close to Madisonville. Right now like everyone else money is tight and sometimes I don't have the gas to attend church. I was thinking of switching and going to Crossroads? I'm there everyday for the Internet and free coffee. I did attend Awaited the christmas program last christmas and loved it. But to those who attend what do you like or dislike? Honest opionions here. My son is 9 and most weekends we're doing his football. But Crossroads is only 5mins from me. Let me know
My mom's been going to and volunteered there for years, she loves it. I'm not really religious myself so I don't have too many details other then going there to meet up with her and getting some coffee.

Old Today, 05:32 PM

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Actually, atheists don't believe in God. Such is why I commented above that the only reason they must want to go to Crossroads is because they think of it as a huge social club.

Otherwise, why would atheists go to church at all? Perhaps they, much like wolves among sheep, are only interested in infiltrating the fold with the desire to devour or sow doubt among believers...?

And for what it's worth, Muslims also believe in a higher power. Should they attend a Christian church to worship and praise Allah? They don't even believe Jesus was God in the flesh, or that he died on the cross and was resurrected. There are some people who believe we ourselves are our own higher power....New Age stuff. Should those people all worship with Christians under the roof of the same church? What about Hindus? Buddhists? Sikhs?

Christianity and pluralism are not compatible.

EDIT: I just want to clarify a thought. IF atheists attend Crossroads (and I know they are welcome there, per the Crossroads website), I don't have an issue with that - so long as they are there to sincerely open their hearts to the truth of Jesus Christ in the interest of becoming a believer.
I'm athiest, but crossroads is a comfortable place as far as a church, my mom goes there and volunteers there so I've had to meet her there at times, get something off her, what have you. Her friends, other people there are friendly, and the free coffee is awesome. Id go to a service there with her if she really asked me to.. I don't believe in God, but I do find religions fascinating. I like learning the history, the beliefs and so on.. I went to a Catholic mass with my kids when their father had them baptized and being there was interesting but at same time I felt very uncomfortable and unwanted there... I don't believe in the religion but it was my kids and it was a big deal to them.. of course I went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati