U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 13,409 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses guys. The big move is tomorrow. I'm basically just worried about how a potential employer will view a 30 year old with no real post college job experience in-country (I am not interested in teaching as a long term career).

To the guy who recommended staying where I am, I actually kind of agree with you; but have been telling myself "1 more year, wait for the economy to improve" for 3 years now. I think it's time to head back and test the waters.

Luckily I'm not tied down in any way, shape, or form, and am willing to work pretty much anywhere in the US, just starting out in Cincy since that's where the family is. Any links or additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,967,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander101 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. The big move is tomorrow. I'm basically just worried about how a potential employer will view a 30 year old with no real post college job experience in-country (I am not interested in teaching as a long term career).

To the guy who recommended staying where I am, I actually kind of agree with you; but have been telling myself "1 more year, wait for the economy to improve" for 3 years now. I think it's time to head back and test the waters.

Luckily I'm not tied down in any way, shape, or form, and am willing to work pretty much anywhere in the US, just starting out in Cincy since that's where the family is. Any links or additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words.
I wish you the best. Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest you really emphasize your overseas experiences when you're applying for jobs. There are individuals out there who'll think that sets you apart in a good way from the big pack of applicants. I say this because I've been surprised in the past how an interviewer would pick something out of my resume that I didn't even view as that important, and fixate on it in either a good or bad way. People love to mentally create contexts for information.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM

130 posts, read 271,276 times
Wander101:

I currently work in the Cincinnati area for a growing multinational company (yes, it is actually hiring in this economic climate). Feel free to PM me for further information; while you might not be a fit for many roles at this company, there may still be some possibilities....

Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,413,605 times
I hope someone can assist you in utilizing your foreign culture experience to get a job. Try any avenue open to you. Otherwise, from what I hear from my working acquaintances the job market is bleak.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,009,943 times
It appears Cincinnati has a better job market than most other cities (Columbus, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are other cities that appeared to do alright in the current economic crisis). This is relative, of course, since I currently live in Arizona, which was ground zero for the housing crisis and all that ensued in its aftermath. Almost anywhere besides Arizona, California, Florida and Nevada look great comparatively.

If I wasn't so concerned about my asthma (I left Cincinnati for the Southwest because of it), I'd move back in a heartbeat. There appears to be a lot more available there than what I can find in Arizona that matches my skill set.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 AM

526 posts, read 1,262,865 times
Well welcome back! I sure do hope you find a fulfilling job. My daughter will be heading the other way ... to Korea to teach English there because she has not been able to find employment here. She graduated in 2010 from OSU.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM

990 posts, read 883,272 times
What is the job situation like in Cincinnati for CPAs? My experience is as a forensic accountant, and I have about five years of work experience post-college. I am not thinking of moving per say, but my grandfather lives in Anderson Township and I have always loved that area (and Cincinnati in general)...my SO also loves the city, and it would be a possible move.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,748,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
What is the job situation like in Cincinnati for CPAs? My experience is as a forensic accountant, and I have about five years of work experience post-college. I am not thinking of moving per say, but my grandfather lives in Anderson Township and I have always loved that area (and Cincinnati in general)...my SO also loves the city, and it would be a possible move.
I certainly don't know any out-of-work CPAs. This remains a pretty solid town for the educated white-collar worker. Although it can be tricky to get your foot in the door if you don't have local connections. I very much doubt I would have my current job if I was educated somewhere other than the University of Cincinnati.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 AM

990 posts, read 883,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I certainly don't know any out-of-work CPAs. This remains a pretty solid town for the educated white-collar worker. Although it can be tricky to get your foot in the door if you don't have local connections. I very much doubt I would have my current job if I was educated somewhere other than the University of Cincinnati.
I auditioned at CCM for piano performance in 2002 when I was originally looking at colleges. I loved that campus!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,748,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I auditioned at CCM for piano performance in 2002 when I was originally looking at colleges. I loved that campus!
If you find yourself in an interview, it is helpful to bring up how much you like the City and these kinds of connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati