U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 10,684,746 times
Reputation: 9448

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
This is a wake up call -- We need to analyse what is happening to our management type jobs and make appropriate changes.

We already lost our major power untility headquarters, most of our major bank headquarters, major retail headquarters and now this.

Sure the job lost and their impact on the local economy is painful but the loss of talent -- management, leadership ability is even worse.

If I were the mayor, I would start by having a major come to Jesus meeting with the leadership of CVG and Delta Airlines.
I agree with you. I am afraid that this is just the beginning of the exodus. Already too many of our young people get their degrees and flee to better/more vibrant locales and now this. These are troubling times. If Cincinnati doesn't get it's act together I fear for its future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,658,408 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think you should direct your anger at Chiquita and your local/state elected officials. Also, I hate the word "redneck" for two reasons. 1, it is an ugly racial slur IMO (I'm a black dude btw). 2, it is usually used to describe places in the south (when in reality, much of the south is more black/hispanic than the midwest). That larger hispanic population is one of the reasons why Chiquita is leaving.
I don't care where you think I should direct anything. And I'm not angry at Chiquita: They took the $22M-$25M that Charlotte and North Carolina handed to them to move their company there. Anyone would do that. Give me $22M and I'll move to Charlotte too (though I wouldn't stay a day longer than I had to). I had a buddy that moved to Charlotte several years ago because of a lucrative job offer (hence my three straight years of visits). He had a condo downtown directly across from the Panthers' practice field. But he didn't like it and left.

This was a pure company poach by North Carolina and nothing more. Chiquita is just the weak, greedy corporation that accepted it - that's just what corporations do.

And you claim that "redneck" is an ugly racial slur but it's used in virtually every other country song, comedy routines and is proudly self-attached by a certain segment of the Confederate flag-waving, NASCAR-obsessed South? Sorry if you don't like it, but the overwhelming majority of the South embraces it. Because of that, I'll use it.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 11-30-2011 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 3,958,396 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes, makes no sense to me either. In fact, I would think a larger Hispanic population would be more sympathetic to the conditions subjected to their people in the facilitiies within the producing countries owned by Chiquita and be anti-Chiquita. Does this intimate the Hispanics are in favor of Chiquita's benevolence? Everything I read says otherwise.
I believe Chiquita has said one of the advantages to Charlotte is its larger pool of bilingual (Spanish/English) local residents (about 12 percent as opposed to about 5 percent in Cincinnati) from which to draw employees, given that much of their international operations are in Spanish-language locales. Whether this is a "real" reason or not, I'm not in a position to judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 AM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,658,408 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I agree with you. I am afraid that this is just the beginning of the exodus. Already too many of our young people get their degrees and flee to better/more vibrant locales and now this. These are troubling times. If Cincinnati doesn't get it's act together I fear for its future.
I'm afraid you're probably wrong. Chiquita moved because the bulk of their business is conducted in Central/South America. Therefore, it only makes business sense to be located closer to those markets. I knew they'd go but I assumed they'd go to South Florida, where they'll probably eventually end up (remember, Cincinnati isn't their original home either). The only reason they chose Charlotte over the Miami area is because of cash, plain and simple. North Carolina outright bought them. Case closed.

As for your dire warnings: I see you live in Florida so maybe you're unaware of the tremendous strides Cincinnati has made in recent years to make itself a destination for young people. With the streetcar a go, light rail a probability also and a completely remade urban core of downtown, the Banks and OTR, the city is on a significant roll. The the population of the metro area continues to climb also. There are challenges, not unlike in every city, but there is definite momentum.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 11-30-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,775,226 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I believe Chiquita has said one of the advantages to Charlotte is its larger pool of bilingual (Spanish/English) local residents (about 12 percent as opposed to about 5 percent in Cincinnati) from which to draw employees, given that much of their international operations are in Spanish-language locales. Whether this is a "real" reason or not, I'm not in a position to judge.
That doesn't make sense in a world where more than Hispanics can learn and know Spanish. I personally know several non-Hispanics that can speak Spanish. Seems like a pretty lame reason. 5% of the population is still a large number we're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,775,226 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I'm afraid you're probably wrong. Chiquita moved because the bulk of their business is conducted in Central/South America. Therefore, it only makes business sense to be located closer to those markets. I knew they'd go but I assumed they'd go to South Florida, where they'll probably eventually end up (remember, Cincinnati isn't their original home either). The only reason they chose Charlotte over the Miami area is because of cash, plain and simple. North Carolina outright bought them. Case closed.

As for your dire warnings: I see you live in Florida so maybe you're unaware of the tremendous strides Cincinnati has made in recent years to make itself a destination for young people. With the streetcar a go, light rail a probability also and a completely remade urban core of downtown, the Banks and OTR, the city is on a significant roll. The the population of the metro area continues to climb also.
I would be more surprised if they didn't eventually leave the US altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
 
4,237 posts, read 3,296,752 times
Reputation: 1837
I hope Sears doesn't relocate to Ohio. Tax breaks and other financial incentives for a dying company that will soon be non-existent are not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,658,408 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I would be more surprised if they didn't eventually leave the US altogether.
This is a very real possibility. Their CEO is from Mexico City and the bulk of their business is conducted in Central/South America. I'd be shocked if Chiquita, should it still exist by then, is in Charlotte by the year 2021.

This is a company that started in NYC, moved to Cincinnati and then moved to Charlotte. They're like locusts: As soon as the incentives dry up and they get what they want out of a location, they move on to the next one. They remind me of those aliens from Independence Day - once they use up all the resources on one planet, they pack up their moon-sized ship and move on to the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,658,408 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I hope Sears doesn't relocate to Ohio. Tax breaks and other financial incentives for a dying company that will soon be non-existent are not worth it.
I doubt they leave Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,775,226 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I hope Sears doesn't relocate to Ohio. Tax breaks and other financial incentives for a dying company that will soon be non-existent are not worth it.
I don't think most people see it as a real possibility that they're moving here, anyway. That said, if they do, the benefits packages they've been offered are small in comparison to the investment and jobs they'd bring, so it would be a benefit to the state. As for the company's future, Illinois seems to not have a problem believing they have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top