U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 AM

27,775 posts, read 24,814,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
When it comes to Chiquita, they did not move to Charlotte because it was a better city than Cincy. They moved to Charlotte because it's about money.
That's why any company moves. If they feel they can be significantly more profitable in one location over another, then they'll move. And they usually feel they can be more profitable due to a variety of factors, such as infrastructure (the airport in this case), talent, taxes, etc.

Cincinnati is a great city and all, but this should cause local and state leaders (and citizens) to look inward instead of directing angst towards Charlotte. Either way you slice it, Chiquita wanted out of Cincinnati which is the bottom line.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's why any company moves. If they feel they can be significantly more profitable in one location over another, then they'll move. And they usually feel they can be more profitable due to a variety of factors, such as infrastructure (the airport in this case), talent, taxes, etc.

Cincinnati is a great city and all, but this should cause local and state leaders (and citizens) to look inward instead of directing angst towards Charlotte. Either way you slice it, Chiquita wanted out of Cincinnati which is the bottom line.
We could have Chicago O'Hare here and Chiquita still would have split for the $22 million that Charlatan and North Carolina stuffed in their pocket. And in no way would I want Cincinnati or Ohio to offer up that kind of ridiculous money to save 330 jobs for a few years, until they came asking for another handout. It's just not worth it. There are bigger and better things out there than Chiquita.

Chiquita is a scandal-plagued corporation that has a corporate welfare history. Charlatan can have them.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
We could have Chicago O'Hare here and Chiquita still would have split for the $22 million that Charlatan and North Carolina stuffed in their pocket. And in no way would I want Cincinnati or Ohio to offer up that kind of ridiculous money to save 330 jobs for a few years, until they came asking for another handout. It's just not worth it. There are bigger and better things out there than Chiquita.

Chiquita is a scandal-plagued corporation that has a corporate welfare history. Charlatan can have them.
You sound extremely bitter, as if this is Charlotte's fault. The mayor of Charlotte didn't fly up to Cincy trying to find companies to relocate; Chiquita came knocking and Charlotte responded. I mean really, you shouldn't take this stuff as seriously as you are, especially if you don't work for the company. If Charlotte is coming out on the short end of a bad deal as you are asserting, then why all the bitterness?

And I disagree that that Cincy could have had O'Hare (or even Midway) and Chiquita would have been looking to leave. Upon what do you make that assessment?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM

901 posts, read 1,952,749 times
For crying out loud, abr.....Charlatan??? How would you feel if people referred to Cincinnati as "Cincinnasty"?? Truly, dude, it's time to put the pacifier away and learn how to be more civil to people....ie. learn how to be an adult. You're not impressing anyone with your insults. It's very unbecoming.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 AM

2,117 posts, read 3,540,609 times
Quote:
I don't care where you think I should direct anything. And I'm not angry at Chiquita: They took the $22M-$25M that Charlotte and North Carolina handed to them to move their company there. Anyone would do that. Give me $22M and I'll move to Charlotte too (though I wouldn't stay a day longer than I had to). I had a buddy that moved to Charlotte several years ago because of a lucrative job offer (hence my three straight years of visits). He had a condo downtown directly across from the Panthers' practice field. But he didn't like it and left.

This was a pure company poach by North Carolina and nothing more. Chiquita is just the weak, greedy corporation that accepted it - that's just what corporations do.

And you claim that "redneck" is an ugly racial slur but it's used in virtually every other country song, comedy routines and is proudly self-attached by a certain segment of the Confederate flag-waving, NASCAR-obsessed South? Sorry if you don't like it, but the overwhelming majority of the South embraces it. Because of that, I'll use it.
wow, you sure are taking this hard...I question if you really know much about Charlotte, it IS a very desirable area and is one reason why a number of companies (and 60,000+ /yr transplants) have located here recently, if I'm a CEO of a company I will factor in 'quality of life' in deciding where to locate. I am an OH native and get to Cinci every couple months and it is a great city and I can see the improvements to the downtown which seemed neglected years ago. As far as Charlotte having 'redneck, Confederate flag, NASCAR yadayada..maybe 30 years ago. I have been here 7 yrs and I could count on my hand how many die hard NASCAR fan I have run into or met. I would venture to say there are more yankees in CLT than there are in Cinci.
Anyway, you might consider taking a chill pill and 'get over it'.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

526 posts, read 1,260,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I believe Chiquita has said one of the advantages to Charlotte is its larger pool of bilingual (Spanish/English) local residents (about 12 percent as opposed to about 5 percent in Cincinnati) from which to draw employees, given that much of their international operations are in Spanish-language locales. Whether this is a "real" reason or not, I'm not in a position to judge.
I don't buy that reason at all ... if Chiquita needed bilingual people, they could just recruit them.. there is no law that I am aware of that would keep qualified Spanish/English people from relocating to the Cincinnati Area.

I suspect the reason was primarily economic and quality of life related.

What is called for here is a top down thorough evaluation of the assets and liabilities -- starting with transportation, education, recreation, financial resources etc.
Those areas that are lacking should be addressed thoroughly.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
wow, you sure are taking this hard...I question if you really know much about Charlotte, it IS a very desirable area and is one reason why a number of companies (and 60,000+ /yr transplants) have located here recently, if I'm a CEO of a company I will factor in 'quality of life' in deciding where to locate. I am an OH native and get to Cinci every couple months and it is a great city and I can see the improvements to the downtown which seemed neglected years ago. As far as Charlotte having 'redneck, Confederate flag, NASCAR yadayada..maybe 30 years ago. I have been here 7 yrs and I could count on my hand how many die hard NASCAR fan I have run into or met. I would venture to say there are more yankees in CLT than there are in Cinci.
Anyway, you might consider taking a chill pill and 'get over it'.
Question my knowledge of Charlotte all you want. I'm no expert, but I'm not sure that's a prerequisite for liking or disliking a given city. I've already explained that my experience with Charlotte was three separate visits over a span of three or four years when my friend lived downtown and worked in Gastonia. On one visit I saw Bob Dylan perform at a downtown street festival (Taste of Charlotte maybe?); another time I was on the infield at the Coca-Cola 600; the third time I went to a basketball game at UNCC and visited a barbecue joint just across the border in S.C.

My friend has since moved to Michigan so I haven't been since 2005. I know he didn't care for the city, though he did like his job and his condo. I don't know what else to tell you besides that.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM

2,117 posts, read 3,540,609 times
Quote:

Charlotte Business Journal says - 'The incentives would include “clawback” provisions requiring Chiquita to return some or all of the money if it fails to create a targeted number of jobs within 10 years.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,732,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I agree with you. I am afraid that this is just the beginning of the exodus. Already too many of our young people get their degrees and flee to better/more vibrant locales and now this. These are troubling times. If Cincinnati doesn't get it's act together I fear for its future.
I'm a little more optimistic in the long run. Chiquita's move was about Charlotte giving them a deal they couldn't refuse. "hey, come here, you won't pay ANY taxes and we'll pay for you to come here." it is sort of hard to turn that away.

None of this is to begrudge Charlotte at all. Charlotte wants to be the next Atlanta and they'll do everything they can to make that happen. That is a legit strategy. The city is attracting lots of new, high-earning residents, just like Atlanta did for a long time.

But it isn't Cincinnati. Cincinnati is a low-risk, low-growth, stable city. This is an okay way to be, too! Our fundamentals here in Cincinnati are still very good and Chiquita's move doesn't change this. If Charlotte is the NBA, we're MLB.

All the stats I've seen show that Cincinnati and other midwestern cities do a good job of retaining residents. In fact, if a given person is born in Cincinnati they are more likely to stay than if a person is born in NYC or San Francisco. This means something and holds true even for the most educated who can go anywhere. The trouble is more related to attracting new residents. Improving old City neighborhoods is the key to attracting new residents.

Last edited by progmac; 11-30-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
All the stats I've seen show that Cincinnati and other midwestern cities do a good job of retaining residents. In fact, if a given person is born in Cincinnati they are more likely to stay than if a person is born in NYC or San Francisco. This means something and holds true even for the most educated who can go anywhere. The trouble is more related to attracting new residents. Improving old City neighborhoods is the key to attracting new residents.
This can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you have a lot of natives who are invested in the city which gives the city more of a sense of identity and grounding, but on the other hand, the city can come across and provincial and might lack the dynamism that comes from attracting outside talent. I think as far as growth goes, Midwestern cities like Columbus and Indianapolis do well with striking a balance between average/above-average growth and breakneck growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or