U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,381,264 times

Advertisements

I would like to make hopefully one of the last stabs concerning Chiquita's relocation out of Cincinnati.

Chiquita never wanted to be in Cincinnati in the first place. They were only here because a successful Cincinnati businessman Carl Lindner Jr and the company he controlled, Americal Financial Group bought Chiquita during one of their business downturns. Carl Lindner Jr passed aways some months ago. He was an avid supporter of Cincinnati. For a period of time he was a part owner and CEO of the Cincinnati Reds. One of American Financial's operating companies is called Great American Insurance. Do you think there may be some connection between that and Great American Ballpark? Our newest skyscraper in Cincinnati is named Great American Tower.

Carl came from very humble roots. Through a series of business decisions he became very wealthy. In 2006 he was ranked 133rd on the list of world's weathiest men. But Carl had some idiosyncrasies. As I said he thoroughly loved Cincinnati and could see no reason why anyone would not want to live here. When he acquired control of various companies, he also wanted them to be close-by. Why should he travel, he was the owner, and besides Cincinnati is a great place to live. So he basically put down the edict, Chiquita would move their headquarters to Cincinnati. And if they did not, he would hire a new management team who would. They must have checked into Carl's background and realized he would do just that.

So Chiquita was a reluctant company in Cincinnati from the get-go. Their New York executives hated Cincinnati, provincial and all the other things we are accused of. In 2002 Chiquita entered a chapter 11 bankruptcy during which American Financial backed out of their ownership.

My feeling is Chiquita has been looking to get out of Cincinnati for many years. The demands they made on Cincinnati and Ohio to stay here were rediculous. You always lament the decision of a sizable company to move. But the reality is the employment Chiquita actually brought to Ohio was far below their so-called company ranking as the majority was out of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,305,812 times
Chiquita hasn't been a F500 company for a decade. I don't know what all the hoopla is about gaining or losing this company that support terrorism.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Chiquita hasn't been a F500 company for a decade. I don't know what all the hoopla is about gaining or losing this company that support terrorism.
I don't know I would go so far as to say they support terrorism, but I will say they support poverty in their growing countries. Definitely a parasite in the areas where their product is produced.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,834,109 times
Thanks for the background, kjbrill.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,305,812 times
Chiquita CEO Aguirre to be replaced | Cincinnati - WLWT Home

I guess the move to save money didn't work.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,657,787 times
I don't think it hurts to point out the distress that company is under because, frankly, you could see it coming from a mile away. From the sounds of it, it doesn't look like Charlotte is too thrilled with its investment. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Fernando Aguirre right back in Cincinnati. He clearly loves the city and has retained an active presence here.

Good riddance to that company.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,465,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I don't think it hurts to point out the distress that company is under because, frankly, you could see it coming from a mile away. From the sounds of it, it doesn't look like Charlotte is too thrilled with its investment. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Fernando Aguirre right back in Cincinnati. He clearly loves the city and has retained an active presence here.

Good riddance to that company.
It's a horribly run company, and one that Charlotte will likely regret giving so many financial incentives. They're already laying off managers whose payroll tax Charlotte was depending on to justify the rich incentives they gave Chiquita. I just think this is one of those "negative" topics which eventually are best to move away from. I can't imagine how those employees feel who moved with Chiquita to Charlotte and bought house, just to be laid-off 3 months later. Wow.

But I'm just one fellow with one opinion..........it wasn't a demand, just a request.

Last edited by flashes1; 08-08-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
It's a horribly run company, and one that Charlotte will likely regret giving so many financial incentives. They're already laying off managers whose payroll tax Charlotte was depending on to justify the rich incentives they gave Chiquita. I just think this is one of those "negative" topics which eventually are best to move away from. I can't imagine how those employees feel who moved with Chiquita to Charlotte and bought house, just to be laid-off 3 months later. Wow.

But I'm just one fellow with one opinion..........it wasn't a demand, just a request.
I think you hit the nail on the head. It is a mis-managed company we are better off without. Charlotte is going to rue the day they gave all those incentives. But I feel we can now move on and actually feel sorry for another city who gave in to their demands.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,704,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
...Charlotte is going to rue the day they gave all those incentives. But I feel we can now move on and actually feel sorry for another city who gave in to their demands.
Feel sorry for Charlotte? Your misplaced magnanimity is bemusing! First, CG & E (Duke Energy), then Chiquita...if they could, Charlotte's chamber of commerce would reduce Cincinnati's downtown to a brownfield and snack on Mason for lunch.

Last edited by motorman; 08-09-2012 at 04:40 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Feel sorry for Charlotte? Your misplaced magnanimity is bemusing! First, CG & E (Duke Energy), then Chiquita...if they could, Charlotte's chamber of commerce would reduce Cincinnati's downtown to a brownfield and snack on Mason for lunch.
That may be true, but they are not going to profit off of this one. Maybe my comment was in the wrong tone, not feel sorry but rather you got yours - OK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or