U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,304,412 times

Advertisements

Is Chiquita looking at entering newer and poorer markets? The bilingual thing gets me too. Chiquita has been in Cincinnati many decades and has never been an issue in the past. I bet it's the city council and state of Ohio that makes to want them to leave.

How can you recruit top talent when the state pulls money like from the streetcar to compete with other areas of the country???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,660,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The airport argument I can buy, but not the lack of bilingual employees argument. If Chiquita can't find bilingual employees, it's not looking very hard.
IMO, the airport issue can be fixed by simply adding more flights (landing a major hub again).

The bilingual issue is a little more complicated. By "bilingual" they (Chiquita) most likely mean folks who speak Spanish as a first language (not Americans that learned Spanish as a second language). Remember that Chiquita does a ton of business down in South America. Those folks (in South America) aren't very interested in speaking to people that have "American accents" while trying to speak Spanish (they wish to hear their own accents, or something similar). Americans are not different when it comes to not liking unfamiliar foreign accents, so we can't blame them.

With that said, this "bilingual" issue is really an ethnic diversity issue; and on that note, Cincy is lacking on Hispanic diversity when compared to southern cities.

I did a quick search on the latest census data of Miami, Charlotte, and the Cincy areas. Miami (obviously) blows Charlotte and Cincy away with a 65% Hispanic population. However, Charlotte's 12.2% vs Cincy's 2.6% is a fairly large difference too (these are all county percentages btw, not city).

Chiquita also has operations in Asia (so there could be a need for Asian born Americans as well). Miami is 1.5% Asian. Cincy is 2%; while Charlotte is 4.6%.

It is anyone's guess at this point as to what Chiquita's wishes are. Just remember that this isn't the first time Chiquita played the "we're moving down south" card. I doubt they are serious; but if they are serious: Charlotte and Miami are strong contenders when it comes to diversity and airports. IMO, Miami just makes the most sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Is Chiquita looking at entering newer and poorer markets?
I wouldn't call Miami nor Charlotte "poorer" markets. Not by a long shot.
Quote:
The bilingual thing gets me too. Chiquita has been in Cincinnati many decades and has never been an issue in the past.
The demographics of America is changing. Hispanics now make up nearly 17% of the US population (now the second largest ethnic group behind whites and ahead of blacks). The ethnic diversity (or lack thereof) in Cincy does not reflect "New America".
Quote:
I bet it's the city council and state of Ohio that makes to want them to leave.

How can you recruit top talent when the state pulls money like from the streetcar to compete with other areas of the country???
This has got nothing to do with a streetcar. Nothing at all.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-14-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 AM

I was talking about international markets. They only sale BANANA products.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
After doing a little reading on Cincy vs the Charlotte area vs South Florida, I can see (somewhat) why Chiquita is looking at Charlotte and Miami. Chiquita has made it public that the airport and lack of bilingual (potential) employees are the two main issues. Obviously, Miami would fix both.

What surprised me in my research is that Charlotte has a much larger Hispanic community than Cincy. Chiquita has not specified that "bilingual" meant Spanish/English, but we can assume it does because of Chiquita's large presence in South and Central America as well as the west coast USA. Charlotte also has the busiest airport of the three cities.

That said, Miami would be #1 when it comes to bilingual employees to choose from. Charlotte would be #1 when it comes to the airport. In either case, Chiquita would take care of both issues (airport and bilingual employees) with a move of virtually any city down south. Ohio's ethinic diversity (or lack thereof) was a total shock to me!!! I had no clue that there was THAT much of a difference between Ohio and North Carolina when it comes to race. Like I said, I can see now why Chiquita is talking about a move. The airport issue can be fixed almost overnight; but the ethnic diversity is something that can't be fixed so quickly.
Cincinnati's Hispanic community continues to grow. The recent addition of a 24-hour all-Spanish radio station attests to that.

From the Enquirer this week:

The Hispanic population in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky - an estimated half of which are Mexican or of Mexican descent - has more than doubled in the past decade to 53,400.

"It accounts for almost 25 percent of Greater Cincinnati's population growth," said Neil Comber, an organizer of the local Hispanic Heritage Month and member of the Bridges for a Just Community board.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/A...tarts-Saturday

Old 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,369,950 times
Yes, Chiquita for decades has done a ton of business in Central and South America, as the owners and buyers. So why all of a sudden the desire for Hispanic employees? Are they suddenly drawn to be a good corporate neighbor? Do they think they can replace the business they have been frozen out of in Europe with local South American business? What is behind this?

I will stand by my prior statement. Once the Linders pulled out, the days of Chiquita in Cincy were numbered. Pull a Mike Brown move and get another state to open their coffers to you in the form of tax incentives, etc. That is the way business is played, with virtually no regard to the rank and file employees or any other semblance of loyalty. Just chase the almighty buck any way you can.

You can fault the state, current governor, etc. but the real problem is states getting down on their knees and begging. I fault the elected officials who seem to be incapable of anything other than giving the bank away. I know Ohio and NC are both capable of supporting a good family existence.

Charlotte is a major hub for US Airways, a successor to Allegheny Airlines or as we used to call them Agony Airlines. In their best day they were an adventure to fly. It is just a matter of time when Charlotte will experience the same result as Cincy has with CVG. Give them everything and at the first financial blip they will pull out or shut down. Until cities become smart enough to attach long term financial conditions to you succeed here or you go broke it will happen over and over. But again, for some strange reason, most airports are operated by a volunteer board, not an elected body, even thiough the public money invested is in the hundreds of millions. How does this work?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,660,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Cincinnati's Hispanic community continues to grow. The recent addition of a 24-hour all-Spanish radio station attests to that.

From the Enquirer this week:

The Hispanic population in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky - an estimated half of which are Mexican or of Mexican descent - has more than doubled in the past decade to 53,400.

"It accounts for almost 25 percent of Greater Cincinnati's population growth," said Neil Comber, an organizer of the local Hispanic Heritage Month and member of the Bridges for a Just Community board.

Hispanic Fest starts Saturday | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
I don't doubt at all that it has grown (it is growing everywhere). However, 53,400 represents the number of Hispanic folks in the entire metro area (a metro area of nearly 2.3 million people). That's a very small percentage of the population when compared to southern cities. That's all I was saying.

At the county level, Hamilton county only has about 21,000 Hispanics. The cities that Chiquita are looking at have much larger Hispanic populations (including Charlotte, which was a surprise to me).

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 AM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
this "bilingual" issue is really an ethnic diversity issue; and on that note, Cincy is lacking on Hispanic diversity when compared to southern cities.
And Chiquita is incapable of recruiting employees from beyond Greater Cincinnati? People do relocate to take jobs.

Which is what I meant when I said Chiquita must not be looking very hard.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,536,668 times
This is just another prime example of a corporation using their economic weight to see what kind of concessions the state will provide all the while knowing that Kasich and his lock-step state legislature will be all too eager to provide them. They figure that if it's good enough for Diebold, it's also good enough for them. Watch and see the kind of money and concessions that will be thrown their way. All these mega-corps have to do these days is flick their wrists once and the corporate welfare lackeys will come running with open checkbooks (of course, from our account) from miles around.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 09-14-2011 at 11:43 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 10:53 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,655,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And Chiquita is incapable of recruiting employees from beyond Greater Cincinnati? People do relocate to take jobs.

Which is what I meant when I said Chiquita must not be looking very hard.
They are looking hard - for handouts. And the southeastern cities/states seemingly are more than happy to give them.

I don't buy the bilingual aspect at all. Chiquita, I'm sure, hires national and international candidates all the time. It's not like they're putting classified ads in the Enquirer looking for high-level employees. Location, that's another thing. A banana company would seem to be a better fit in Miami than Cincinnati. Charlotte, not so much.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
This is just another prime example of a corporation using their economic weight to see what kind of concessions the state will provide all the while knowing that Kasich and his lock-step state legislature will be all to eager to provide them. They figure that if it's good enough for Diebold, it's also good enough for them. Watch and see the kind of money and concessions that will be thrown their way. All these mega-corps have to do these days is flick their wrists once and the corporate welfare lackeys will come running with open checkbooks (of course, from our account) from miles around.
Honestly 4 million is peanuts to a F500 company. Any state can match or beat that with more incentives. Chiquita must be in more trouble than we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or