U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,285,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I agree with you that it would be nice to steal jobs from outside the region, but I really don't get all this talk about Kasich starting a war with Kentucky. What does he (Ohio) have to feel guilty about??? And for that matter, what grounds does Kentucky (Beshear) have to get his hackles up? Kentucky has actively been poaching business and jobs (within the region, by the way) for years. Let's look at just a few examples:

US Playing Card (sorry Norwood, 100 years of history and jobs gone)
Zumbiel Packaging
DHL Express (single-handedly killed Wilmington)
Global Quality Corp (actively recruited from Cincinnati by Kentucky's Tri-ED matching funds program)
Pernod-Ricard (from Lawrenceburg, IN...is there a war between KY and IN, too?)
Hofbrauhaus (let's throw that in because HBH had a stated desire to be in Cincinnati, but Newport horned in. Is that in the spirit of regionalism?)
CVG airport has been actively courting corporate air tenants at Lunken to move across the river.

So, at the end of the day, Ohio got one back. Is Ohio supposed to idly stand by and keep taking hits? Kentucky needs to suck it up, and people need to stop expressing shock if Ohio is finally asserting itself. It's just business.
I have mentioned this in other forums, but what is in it for KY to help with CVG and the Brent Spence bridge if Ohio benefits from it most???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,133,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I have mentioned this in other forums, but what is in it for KY to help with CVG and the Brent Spence bridge if Ohio benefits from it most???
CVG is Kentucky's biggest and most prominent airport. And while it serves Cincinnati and much of southwest Ohio (in theory), it also serves a huge chunk of Kentucky and is crucial for attracting new businesses to the Bluegrass State.

That, and it's in Kentucky's best interest to do what it can to revive that airport and keep it viable or Ohio may well decide to look into a joint Cincinnati-Dayton airport somewhere along the I-75 corridor.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM

8,720 posts, read 7,036,247 times
KY considered CVG one of its shining stars back in the era when Delta was making it a major hub. Along with Delta, Comair was one of the pioneers of regional jets and grew to be one of the largest regional airlines in the country. Then came the upheaval in the airline industry and Delta being forced to cut back considerably.

CVG is still a major asset to KY and one they need to desperately hold onto. It was never about benefiting Ohio, it was always about benefiting KY. When the traffic through the airport was dominated by transfers, not local passenger generated due to exhorbitant fares, CVG could care less. When that bubble burst they were left holding the bag.

I have no doubt they are solicting every corporate jet user at Lunken to switch to CVG. That Comair terminal and those maintenance hangers sitting there empty has to be a major rub.

But KY must fight to keep it operational. If Cincinnati were to entertain a joint regional airport along the I-75 corridor with Dayton it would be a disaster to KY. I strongly doubt such a proposal can even get off the ground in the current economy, but maybe it can be used as a scare tactic to get the fares out of CVG in line with everyone else.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
KY considered CVG one of its shining stars back in the era when Delta was making it a major hub. Along with Delta, Comair was one of the pioneers of regional jets and grew to be one of the largest regional airlines in the country. Then came the upheaval in the airline industry and Delta being forced to cut back considerably.

CVG is still a major asset to KY and one they need to desperately hold onto. It was never about benefiting Ohio, it was always about benefiting KY. When the traffic through the airport was dominated by transfers, not local passenger generated due to exhorbitant fares, CVG could care less. When that bubble burst they were left holding the bag.

I have no doubt they are solicting every corporate jet user at Lunken to switch to CVG. That Comair terminal and those maintenance hangers sitting there empty has to be a major rub.

But KY must fight to keep it operational. If Cincinnati were to entertain a joint regional airport along the I-75 corridor with Dayton it would be a disaster to KY. I strongly doubt such a proposal can even get off the ground in the current economy, but maybe it can be used as a scare tactic to get the fares out of CVG in line with everyone else.
Or to get some new carriers here. With Delta's presence diminished, there's absolutely no reason that some low-cost carriers can't come in here and pull some slack. Southwest isn't in Dayton, so that would be a logical target. And they could offer direct service to their Baltimore hub, an airport that we are woefully lacking direct flights to these days.

I saw a tweet from the Enquirer's Bengals beat writer lamenting that there was no direct service on a Saturday from CVG to Baltimore. Baltimore/Washington! We're not talking about Boise or Fresno here.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Hey Chiquita: UC 44 North Carolina State 14

Take that Charlotte!

(Yes, I know NCSU is in Raleigh, but close enough)

Last edited by abr7rmj; 09-23-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,170,654 times
Well let Cincy keep Chiquita and send some Frisch's Big Boy to Charlotte instead. We haven't had a Big Boy franchise for years since Shoney's split apart, and Frisch's is better anyway. And some Skyline chili would be good too.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well let Cincy keep Chiquita and send some Frisch's Big Boy to Charlotte instead. We haven't had a Big Boy franchise for years since Shoney's split apart, and Frisch's is better anyway. And some Skyline chili would be good too.
Glad you would like a Frisch's Big Boy, which was the first Big Boy east of the Mississippi, actually the first out of California. Dave Frisch had many innovations including his own brand of tartar sauce served on Big Boy and the fish sandwich with the fish flown in from the west coast. The Brawny Lad ground steak sandwich on the rye bun with the big slice of bermuda onion was also unique. Similar for the strawberry pie with the berries flown in from California. The pumpkin and mince meat pies with the wine sauce served in the fall and winter from products from his own local farms here in Cincinnati. Same for the apple cider and the apple pies in the fall from his local orchards.

In my estimation Frisch's product was and is still better than the original, Bob's Big Boy in California. If you know someone willing to stake a fanchise have them make a contact. Same goes for Skyline. We would like for you people in Charlotte NC to enjoy good food.

I do not remember the full history of Shoney's, but in my estimation they never were the equal of Frisch's. I know they became quite large, likely due to large money behind them. But once you hiccup in earnings the large money goes away. I suspect that is what happened to Shoney's. Frisch's is a public stock company, but still run by 2nd and 3rd generation of the Frisch family.

You may tell I am a big fan of Frisch's. Years ago Dave Frisch offered my uncle a job when his current employer left Norwood and moved south for cheaper labor. My uncle ended up with two Frisch's franchises and whenever we visited he would call up the store and have his manger deliver whatever we wanted. Unc was also very good to his employees and had most of them for many years. Run a good company, be fair to your employees, and you will be successful over a long period of time.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,170,654 times
I would love to see a Big Boy franchise return to the Carolinas, as Shoney's has not been a Big Boy restaurant for years, and most have closed. And I did eat recently at a Frisch's near Lexington, KY and it was great, and I would probably choose it over Bob's Big Boy. I like the tartar sauce that Frisch's uses on their burgers better than the thousand island at the other Big Boy's in Michigan.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:38 PM

9,474 posts, read 11,792,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
In my estimation Frisch's product was and is still better than the original, Bob's Big Boy in California. If you know someone willing to stake a fanchise have them make a contact. Same goes for Skyline. We would like for you people in Charlotte NC to enjoy good food.

I do not remember the full history of Shoney's, but in my estimation they never were the equal of Frisch's. I know they became quite large, likely due to large money behind them. But once you hiccup in earnings the large money goes away. I suspect that is what happened to Shoney's. Frisch's is a public stock company, but still run by 2nd and 3rd generation of the Frisch family..
Rah, rah.

Frisch's has a good product but their sourcing is similar to any other food business. You bring in produce from the region that is producing on a given week. In other words, they would serve California strawberries part of the year, then from Florida, and then from Mexico.

In my opinion, Shoney's was a LOT better than Frisch's when they were a Big Boy operation. Unlike the Frisch family, Shoney's made great innovations on the Big Boy menu. And many of those ideas - the salad bar, chicken strips, etc - were eventually copied by Frisch's. When the chicken strips were introduced in 1980, the original strips and the pineapple mustard were brought in labeled for Shoney's Big Boy.

Frisch's was so resistant to change in the 1970s, it was not funny. When they finally added a salad bar to the Mainliner in Fairfax, they wanted to charge PER TRIP. I can remember several customers screaming that they paid for a salad bar, not one trip. They were the last to get rid of the curb service and open up a drive thru.

Shoney's downfall came when they overexpanded their core restaurants and lost focus on operating clean stores. They started opening other concepts (Captain D's, Lee's Fried Chicken, dinner house places) and let the Shoney's stores go stale.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Bob's Big Boy in California was the original, started by Bob Wian in 1937. He is credited with creating the double-decker hamburger with the special sauce.

Dave Frisch started the Mainliner in Fairfax in 1939. The name came from the fact the building resembled the shape of an airplane, the mainliner, a tri-motor which flew out of nearby Lunken Field. It was Cincinnati's first true drive-in restaurant.

In 1946, Dave Frisch encountered Bob's in California and really liked the double-decker hamburger plus the rest of Bob's business setup. He inquired and became the first franchisee of the Big Boy concept. He decided to replace the original thousand island sauce with a homemade tartar sauce which became the trademark of Frisch's. The first Big Boys were served at the mainliner in 1946. In 1948 the first Frisch's Big Boy #1 was opened on Central Parkway in Cincinnati.

I thoroughly disagree that Frisch's was not instrumental in the evolution of the Big Boy menu. Of course the original Big Boy was Bob's creation. But items such as the Fish Sandwich with the fish flown in fresh from Northwestern fisheries was Dave's concept. I remember years ago when he would sign an annual contract to purchase fish. It was a significant financial commitment. It remains #2 on their best seller list. Other creations such as the Brawny Lad, the Buddie Boy and the Swiss Miss all came out of Frisch's.

Other stellar menu items such as hand breaded onion rings, the Hot Fudge Cake, and seasonal specialities such as Pumpkin Pie, Strawberry Pie, and hot Mince Meat pie with wine sauce all came out of Dave's mind.

In 1967 Marriott Corp. bought the Bob's Big Boy chain and the rights to the Big Boy trademark. Why they did this I have no idea as nothing was a fit for their business concept.
In 1987, Elias Brothers, one of the larger franchisees bought the rights to Big Boy and moved the operation to Warren Michigan. In 2000 they declared bankruptcy. Out of the bankruptcy emerges Big Boy Restaurants International, still located in Warren. Frisch's remains the only original franchisee with exclusive rights to the trademark in its territory of Ohio, Kentrucky, and Indiana.

Frisch's has admittedly shrunk in size. At one time they were over 200 restaurants, with operations in Florida (closed in the 1990s), and far-flung places such as Oklahoma and Texas. Currently there are still over 90 Frisch's Big Boys plus the Golden Corral franchises they operate in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

I give them a lot of credit for perservering through a multitude of changes in the industry and still being a Cincinnati company we can be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati