Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:06 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,368,831 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is old news in Cinci but sounds like a strong possibility. I suspect big attraction is USAir hub and direct flights to many parts of world.

Chiquita considering relocation to Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 02:51 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,446,817 times
The State of Ohio needs to step in and make sure this does not happen. Gov. Kasich can talk jobs all he wants, and criticize the former governor for allowing NCR to leave its longtime Dayton home for Atlanta, but he needs to produce some results.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:53 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,946,697 times
I don't really get the attraction of Charlotte. Sprawling, low-density, and seems to mostly be involved in banking, and even banking isn't doing well, there. Bank of America is about to cut up to 40,000 jobs. I guess the city needs to make that up somehow. Even so, 300+ jobs is not a HUGE loss for Cincinnati, so even if it happens, it could be a lot worse. Also, I suspect that this is just like what Sears in Chicago and Bob Evans here in Columbus did. Hustling the city and state for better tax breaks and incentives. And here we have so many conservatives who seem to think corporations have our best interests in mind. It's about money, always.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,446,817 times
The Southern states are like leeches and parasites - just attacking everything they can to better themselves. NCR's move to the Atlanta burbs a couple of years ago was a significant blow to Dayton. Then Alabama jumped in tried to get the USAF to move hundreds of high-paying tech jobs from Dayton. It's depressing and disgusting.

Too bad Ohio can't do the same thing to them. And who would want to live in the character-less plastic environment of Charlotte? Blah.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,268,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
And who would want to live in the character-less plastic environment of Charlotte? Blah.
^^^This is the type of attitude that will get Ohio nowhere. Personally, I'd like to see my city do well (but NOT at the expense of other cities). Cinci is a great city; one that is full of character. These banana bigwigs would be stupid to leave such a great community. IMO, this "move" won't happen.

Even if it did happen, it has been reported that only 90 will leave Cinci while 326 or so new jobs would be created in Charlotte.

Quote:
Chiquita is considering creating 416 positions in Charlotte, which includes 90 existing employees moved from Cincinnati. The average salary is estimated at $106,000.
Chiquita considering move to Charlotte - Business Courier

Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,699,362 times
Once the Linders decided Chiquita was not in their best interest, I would have been surprised if they stayed here.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM

16,353 posts, read 30,063,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Not sure if this is old news in Cinci but sounds like a strong possibility. I suspect big attraction is USAir hub and direct flights to many parts of world.

Chiquita considering relocation to Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal

Or it could be the tax structure that is driving businesses down south. Too many communities in Ohio see business as a cow to be milked. If Ohio does not appreciate the business, other states will.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,268,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Or it could be the tax structure that is driving businesses down south. Too many communities in Ohio see business as a cow to be milked. If Ohio does not appreciate the business, other states will.
This one seems to be all about the airport and the lack of bilingual residents.
Quote:
Chiquita executives have shared in recent months discontent with the decline in nonstop and international flights out of the Cincinnati Northern Kentucky International Airport. Most of the firm’s suppliers and farmers are in South and Central America and along the West Coast. And growth markets are overseas in Europe and Asia.

Chiquita also has struggled to recruit bilingual employees, Ewing said. His office has tried to solve that problem through partnerships with local universities and workforce development offices.
City says it will fight for Chiquita | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,699,362 times
Why is it always the tax structure to be blamed, other than by those against any taxes? Ohio offers a quality of life for employees second to none in the nation. Relatively low cost of living, especially when compared to the coasts. This has to rank high on the ability of companies to recruit top level personnel to work here. People moving here from the coasts can double the house they can afford.

I am getting pretty tired of hearing how Ohio is anti-business. Businesses need top-quality people to make them successful, and Ohio has some of the best incentives going to attract such families.

Note I said families. Let the twenty-somethings go elsewhere to seek their fortrunes and then realize they are suddenly 30, or the dreaded 40, with nothing to sustain them.

We live in one of the most desirable locations in the country. If a few companies move to areas with lower corporate taxes, which feathers the nest of the top executives, so be it. By the time NCR moved they were no longer the business force which drove Dayton, but just a shell. Chiquita may be the same for Cincinnati, a global name but just a blip in the local employment scheme.

My comment is don't let your tail hit you in the a** on the way out of town.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,528,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
The State of Ohio needs to step in and make sure this does not happen. Gov. Kasich can talk jobs all he wants, and criticize the former governor for allowing NCR to leave its longtime Dayton home for Atlanta, but he needs to produce some results.
This an unfair remark. Kasich can't control what Delta and the CVG airport authority has done to the region. If the air travel situation does not improve, you could see a lot more international corporations pull out of the region. Who are you going to blame when Toyota pulls the plug?

My own company is asking questions. Productivity is down because so many of our Cincinnati based employees who must travel by air are having to extend business trips by by one or two days just because the flight options are so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati