U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,134,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Put decks on top of FWW and you have one long dark tunnel.I for one would not want to have to navigate through that nightmare.

Those who contend I-75 cuts of the west side, from what? The main core downtown is struggling to maintain any semblance of a retail shopping district. So what exactly is I-75 cutting off?
Well we don't know how things would have been different. Perhaps the downtown arena would have been built close to or adjacent to the convention center, instead of the ridiculous location it's in now.

I don't think it would have impacted retail one way or another.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 PM

8,720 posts, read 7,042,616 times
I don't believe an arena has anything to do with the convention center. They each have their own agendas.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,488,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
My suggestion is for Obama to stay in Washington DC where he is urgently needed to try to recover the $500,000,000 he squandered with his pals at Solyndra.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:33 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,134,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I don't believe an arena has anything to do with the convention center. They each have their own agendas.
Perhaps a little homework is in order, kjbrill. Plenty of cities combine their convention centers with their sports arenas/stadiums as a way to utilize the facilities and maximize revenue when the home team isn't playing. And you don't have to go too far from here to find some prime examples: Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis (home of the Colts) is part of the city's convention center; Rupp Arena in Lexington (home of UK basketball) is part of the larger Lexington Center convention center; U.S. Cellular Arena (home of the Milwaukee Bucks) is part of Milwaukee's convention center; Reliant Stadium in Houston (home of the Houston Texans) is part of Houston's convention facilities. And the list goes on and on and on ...

Obviously, US Bank Arena is not part of Cincinnati's convention center. My point is: It could have been. As could have a domed stadium for the Bengals, had that been built instead of the current outdoor riverfront facility. All water under the bridge, unfortunately.

Home - Lucas Oil Stadium

Last edited by abr7rmj; 09-15-2011 at 11:43 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Well, when you want to describe such things as convention centers and stadia/arenas as coordinated public structures, I have to ask.

#1 how old is US Bank Arena, how many name changes has it gone through, and who actually owns it? To my recollection it was built shortly after Riverfront, so I have to believe is just as obsolete as Riverfront. It probably should have been acquired and torn down the same time as Riverfront so GABP would not have to be shoe-horned into its present location and be a band-box of a ballpark. The only reason I can anticipate it was privately owned and would not accept the offer for its demise.

The Convention Center - that is another questionable derivation. Did the City of Cincinnati build it or private interests? I believe at one time it had the name Albert B Sabin center to honor one of the people who conquered Polio along with Jonas Salk. Apparently once you are dead everything is up for grabs.

Here is my basic question. Are US Bank arena and Duke Energy Convention Center publicly owned facilitites, or privately owned just receiving huge amounts of public subsidy? If you tell me they are owned by a non-profit organization, that is the same thing as privately owned without the obligation to provide a truthful financial accounting to the owners.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 PM

295 posts, read 561,701 times
I like #2. Number 1 is on the bla side. Number 3 looks a little dangerous to me but then, I have a bad bridge phobia.

Wilson, I tried to rep you but couldn't so here's some good rep for your post.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM

The visit by the President to speak at the Brent Spence is purely political camouflage, since absolutely nothing can be done with it in a short enough time frame to spur any jobs recovery. However the prominent local Republicans, Boehner and McConnell can hardly react negatively to an important project in their own back yards.

To say the Brent Spence is obsolete I do believe is unfair. Overtaxed yes, since it is carrying twice the original design traffic volume. The fact it can do this at all is a testament it was not a bad design.

The Golden Gate is 74 years old. I don't hear anyone clamoring for it to be torn down.

Build a second bridge right alongside the current Brent Spence to the west, but not radically different, and build it fast. Another double-decker to provide the most lanes for the width and sufficient for disabled pull-off lanes. Intend it for the routing of I-75 traffic through town. Once completed, recondition the existing bridge to bring back the safety lanes and route I-71 and downtown traffic only. Unless the bridge mainteance has been sorely lacking the Brent Spence should have a lot of years left in it. And even if it structurally needs replacement, due to the truss design, I believe engineers could work out a process to do the work in place without shutting down the entire structure.

Last edited by kjbrill; 09-17-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 AM

8,694 posts, read 12,503,244 times
BO is trying a "double play" by coming here to ballyhoo his stimulus program. First, he is soliciting local support for his 500,000,000,000 pork plan to make people think he is trying to solve the unemployment crisis. Even 5 years from now when this bridge could be built, it will be built by the limited number of UNION construction workers, not our chronically unemployed. Note to unemployed minorities: it is the unions that have kept you from getting these jobs for 60 years unless you are a porter, a hotel maid or a laborer. I bet one could not find a minority union boilermaker in Cincinnati with the FBI.

Second, knowing that this has exactly ZERO chance of passing,, he is trying to embarrass Boehner and McConnell into opposing the bridge which would have to be advanced on the DOT's agenda by EARMARK. They won't support that.

It all a game with this unqualified manchild. Close your eyes, count to 2012 and he'll be gone.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM

I find it absolutely amazing how some people are so positive Obama will not get re-elected. Of course they must see something in the opposition candidates I do not other than boiled over again Romney and foot-in-the-mouth Ponzi Scheme Perry. Of course I am sure these are the same people who were 100% absolutely sure Obama could not get elected in the first place.

I am not thrilled with many of the personnel choices made or the directions taken. Of course with the financial disaster Bush left him with I am not so sure what would have worked. But just continue to ignore his charismatic appeal and you may be looking at another Truman-Dewey finish.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 AM

295 posts, read 561,701 times
I have no idea if he will win a second term or not. A lot can happen between now and then. Nope, I didn't vote for him and I didn't vote for that one that ran against him either. I did a write in. It didn't surprise me at all when he won, his name had been pushed by MLM for quite some time.

To be honest with everyone, I don't like most politicians. I don't think many of them are there to serve the people, they are in politics for the power it gives them. Most of the time, I think that we should clean DC out, elect brand new leaders and then dare the new comers to speak to the ones who are leaving so we have a totally fresh start. And yeah, I know about freedom of speech so the above could never happern. But I can dream........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati