Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,404,031 times

Advertisements

It is a shame that a bridge was not built to cross the river at Anderson Ferry. Back in the day, most of western Hamilton county was not developed and it would have been possible to locate a highway by-pass through the creepy parts of Western Hills and then through what was then the countryside of Delhi.

Even so, the trip around downtown on I275 east (crossing on 471) or I275 west (crossing at Lawrenceburg) is only about 20 miles longer. I'd be tempted to prohibit trucks over GVW 26,000 from crossing the Brent Spence other than for local deliveries. ALL TRUCKS EXIT HERE (at I-74 and I-75). that would cut wear and tear on the bridge and make the cut in the hill a little safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,455,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
It is a shame that a bridge was not built to cross the river at Anderson Ferry. Back in the day, most of western Hamilton county was not developed and it would have been possible to locate a highway by-pass through the creepy parts of Western Hills and then through what was then the countryside of Delhi.

Even so, the trip around downtown on I275 east (crossing on 471) or I275 west (crossing at Lawrenceburg) is only about 20 miles longer. I'd be tempted to prohibit trucks over GVW 26,000 from crossing the Brent Spence other than for local deliveries. ALL TRUCKS EXIT HERE (at I-74 and I-75). that would cut wear and tear on the bridge and make the cut in the hill a little safer.
It is strange that we have so many bridges at downtown, and then nothing to the east or west until you reach I-275. It would seem that a bridge in the Mount Washington area and another near the Anderson Ferry would have been really opened up those areas. On the west side in particular, a bridge at the Anderson Ferry would have provided much better access to CVG for a large portion of the county. It's got to be rather aggravating to try to get from the area around the College of Mount St. Joe's to the airport, particularly on a weekday afternoon.

Then again, west siders don't really go anywhere so they don't have much use for the airport anyway.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,497,302 times
Quote:
Wilson, I'd be just THRILLED to drive 40 (or more) extra unpaid miles every day... Fortunately, federal law prohibits local jurisditions from turning moronic ideas like that into law. Trucks cannot be prohibited from any part of an interstate highway for any reason other than temporarily for construction or some other limited detour reason. HAZMAT loads can be prohibited from downtown areas or tunnels, though. (Atlanta's I-75 restriction is the only restriction grandfathered from current law.)

It's my professional opinion that the Cut in the Hill and the B.S. Bridge would be safer if ONLY truck drivers were allowed to use I-75 in that stretch...

Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,404,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Wilson, I'd be just THRILLED to drive 40 (or more) extra unpaid miles every day... Fortunately, federal law prohibits local jurisditions from turning moronic ideas like that into law. Trucks cannot be prohibited from any part of an interstate highway for any reason other than temporarily for construction or some other limited detour reason. HAZMAT loads can be prohibited from downtown areas or tunnels, though. (Atlanta's I-75 restriction is the only restriction grandfathered from current law.)

It's my professional opinion that the Cut in the Hill and the B.S. Bridge would be safer if ONLY truck drivers were allowed to use I-75 in that stretch...

Hahahah! Most people don't know that you and I are the only people here who actually drive a big truck. Assuming that you would agree that my Volvo FE is a big truck. I never said that a local jurisdiction should prohibit trucks on the Interstate. We have been talking about the President and the DOT funding a new bridge. The federal government can require trucks to by pass downtown. What the king giveth, the king may taketh away.

And, sure it would be safer if all of us were truckers.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,744,487 times
Quote:
Hahahah! Most people don't know that you and I are the only people here who actually drive a big truck. Assuming that you would agree that my Volvo FE is a big truck. I never said that a local jurisdiction should prohibit trucks on the Interstate. We have been talking about the President and the DOT funding a new bridge. The federal government can require trucks to by pass downtown. What the king giveth, the king may taketh away.

And, sure it would be safer if all of us were truckers.
OK boys, let's play nice now. Most of us agree trucks are the lifeblood of our interstate commerce. So we need to concentrate on how to alleviate the fact I-75 across the BS bridge is way over capacity.

We can lament other alternatives were not considered in the beginning, and I-275 is a very inefficient bypass, more like a conjested local trafffic artery constantly being reworked. In fact, most of I-75 in the area can be viewed as the same.

I drove to Dayton yesterday on I-75 and was much relieved when I got back I have no reason to repeat it in the near future. An unbelievable, never ending, is there an actual plan to this misery, experience. Double strengthened my opinion that living in a northern Cincy suburb and working in Dayton or living in a southern Dayton suburb and working in Cincy is pure idiocy.

My estimate is it will be at least 5 years before construction on any alternative to the BS even starts. So, in the meantime we will experience the delays, frustrations, and worst of all loss of life due to the inadequacy of our public officials to respond to a public need. But after all, we are used to this.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OK boys, let's play nice now. Most of us agree trucks are the lifeblood of our interstate commerce. So we need to concentrate on how to alleviate the fact I-75 across the BS bridge is way over capacity.

We can lament other alternatives were not considered in the beginning, and I-275 is a very inefficient bypass, more like a conjested local trafffic artery constantly being reworked. In fact, most of I-75 in the area can be viewed as the same.

I drove to Dayton yesterday on I-75 and was much relieved when I got back I have no reason to repeat it in the near future. An unbelievable, never ending, is there an actual plan to this misery, experience. Double strengthened my opinion that living in a northern Cincy suburb and working in Dayton or living in a southern Dayton suburb and working in Cincy is pure idiocy.

My estimate is it will be at least 5 years before construction on any alternative to the BS even starts. So, in the meantime we will experience the delays, frustrations, and worst of all loss of life due to the inadequacy of our public officials to respond to a public need. But after all, we are used to this.
I'm surprised, living in Mason, that you're unaware of the numerous back roads to get to the southern areas of Dayton. My parents' home in Centerville is literally 20 minutes from Kings Island. I wouldn't think of taking 75. You could easily shoot up 42 to 48, take 42 to Township Line, or take 741 straight up into Springboro and the Dayton Mall area. All are far less stressful than the 75 debacle, particularly during busy weekday hours.

I'm not sure where you were going in Dayton, but unless it was the airport or north Dayton, I wouldn't have touched 75. Even if you do go to the airport or north Dayton from Mason, you can avoid a large chunk of 75 (and get their quicker) on some back roads.

I know quite a few people who live in Centerville, Miamisburg and Springboro and work in Cincy. My cousin lives in Centerville and works in Kenwood and he does the 42-to-71 route. And I guarantee you I could get from Mason to Centerville quicker than you could get from Mason to CVG. Likewise, I could get from Centerville or Springboro to Mason much, much faster than I could get from Centerville to the Dayton airport, Huber Heights or Englewood. It's really not even close. That's why so many people in the south Dayton area work in Cincinnati.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 09-20-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 04:42 PM

I was not going all the way to Dayton but to Miamisburg to play golf. I agree it was a stupid move to take I-75. I frequently take 741 from Mason to Springboro, also to play golf. It is a nice drive in pleasant weather, but I am not sure I would want to do it in the middle of winter, especially on ice and snow. Taking the drive in mid-morning and return in mid-afternoon is one thing. Doing it at the peak traffic hours of the day is something else. It has been some time since I last took I-75 between Mason and Dayton, and everything negative which has been ascribed to it is probably too generous. If there is a worse stretch of interstate in the country, please identify it.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I was not going all the way to Dayton but to Miamisburg to play golf. I agree it was a stupid move to take I-75. I frequently take 741 from Mason to Springboro, also to play golf. It is a nice drive in pleasant weather, but I am not sure I would want to do it in the middle of winter, especially on ice and snow. Taking the drive in mid-morning and return in mid-afternoon is one thing. Doing it at the peak traffic hours of the day is something else. It has been some time since I last took I-75 between Mason and Dayton, and everything negative which has been ascribed to it is probably too generous. If there is a worse stretch of interstate in the country, please identify it.
It's actually a lot better in the completed four-lane sections south of Monroe than it was. North of Monroe remains under construction. Eventually, when it's entirely four lanes it won't be so bad (hopefully).

You no doubt golfed at Pipestone, which is a very nice course. I would have definitely taken 741 from Mason through Springboro and turned right on Austin Pike, just north of the Wright Brothers airport.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Yes, I will remember to do that next time.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM

205 posts, read 980,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
It is strange that we have so many bridges at downtown, and then nothing to the east or west until you reach I-275. It would seem that a bridge in the Mount Washington area and another near the Anderson Ferry would have been really opened up those areas. On the west side in particular, a bridge at the Anderson Ferry would have provided much better access to CVG for a large portion of the county. It's got to be rather aggravating to try to get from the area around the College of Mount St. Joe's to the airport, particularly on a weekday afternoon.

Then again, west siders don't really go anywhere so they don't have much use for the airport anyway.
From what I've heard, they mostly walk to and from the local delicatessen and complain a lot when the price of the Pretzels in a Jar has gone up.

This is strictly hearsay, of course.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati