U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,662,287 times

Advertisements

I wonder, if Obama does in fact speak from the bridge next Thursday, how far traffic will be backed up in both directions due to obvious lengthy closures?

President Obama to visit, speak at Brent Spence Bridge | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

On a similar note, which design for a replacement bridge do you favor? I voted for option No. 3:

Cincinnati.com | Vote for your favorite bridge design | cincinnati.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 02:03 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,482,181 times
My suggestion is for Obama to stay in Washington DC where he is urgently needed to try to recover the $500,000,000 he squandered with his pals at Solyndra.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:27 PM

901 posts, read 1,956,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post

On a similar note, which design for a replacement bridge do you favor? I voted for option No. 3:

Cincinnati.com | Vote for your favorite bridge design | cincinnati.com
I voted for No. 3, too. It's the only design that is unique, although I admit I was hoping for something even more dramatic than that. But at least it wouldn't be some boring replica of other bridges already spanning the river.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I voted for No. 3, too. It's the only design that is unique, although I admit I was hoping for something even more dramatic than that. But at least it wouldn't be some boring replica of other bridges already spanning the river.
I agree with this. The current Brent Spence is so utilitarian and industrial, as is the little-used bridge immediately to its east. The Suspension Bridge is beautiful, but other than that the only bridge that is even remotely easy on the eyes is the 471 bridge. The rest are blocky, bulky hulks of iron that don't paint a pretty picture.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,482,181 times
Three false choices. All three adopt the failed policy of the past, i.e. that all north/south traffic needs to run right through downtown Cincinnati and Covington. This resulted in the construction of I74 as a southeast to northwest route and I 275 as a ridiculous amoeba shaped beltway, convenient to no one except local traffic. Can this be fixed now? At much difficulty, but not by just another span of the Ohio at Covington.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Three false choices. All three adopt the failed policy of the past, i.e. that all north/south traffic needs to run right through downtown Cincinnati and Covington. This resulted in the construction of I74 as a southeast to northwest route and I 275 as a ridiculous amoeba shaped beltway, convenient to no one except local traffic. Can this be fixed now? At much difficulty, but not by just another span of the Ohio at Covington.
Well, unless they build a completely new interstate somewhere else in the metro, a project that would literally cost billions of dollars in land acquisition, demolition and construction costs in Ohio and Kentucky, the new bridge is going to be built just feet away from the current bridge.

Yes, I-75 is a hinderence to downtown Cincinnati as it pinches it off from developing to the west. That was an issue when the last convention center expansion came up. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about it now. The only semi-realistic way to get I-75 out of the way is to build bridge decks over it, similar to what's in downtown Atlanta and Kansas City.

But move the interstate entirely? No way that's in the cards.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,401,843 times
The problem is the current bridge does not move enough vehicles. Romantically designed bridges are not what is needed, vehicle movement is what is needed. My vote would be for a utilitarian copy of the Brent Spence built right alongside it and split the I-71 and I-75 traffic. Since I-75 has the denser traffic the new bridge should have more lanes to accommodate. But splitting the traffic between that going to downtown and I-71 versus the through traffic on I-75 should go a long way to solving the bottlenecks. We have those condemning the fact I-75 passes through downtown to begin with and then the dreamers concerned about the beauty of a new bridge. It is no wonder nothing ever gets done.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 PM

Why is I-75 a detriment to development on Cincy's west side anymore than I-71 splits the city on the east side? A couple of overpasses or underpasses and problem solved. Granted there is a lot of traffic on I-75 as the major artery from Michigan to Florida which just wants to pass through. I feel the same way when I go to Florida through Atlanta. Don't slow me down, let me pass through your fair city and I might actually come back sometime and spend a few days.

The interstates have been the lifeblood of this country since their inception. Those who want to cut them off are just not being realistic. If you want to see Cincy dry up and blow away then route the interstates around it.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Why is I-75 a detriment to development on Cincy's west side anymore than I-71 splits the city on the east side? A couple of overpasses or underpasses and problem solved. Granted there is a lot of traffic on I-75 as the major artery from Michigan to Florida which just wants to pass through. I feel the same way when I go to Florida through Atlanta. Don't slow me down, let me pass through your fair city and I might actually come back sometime and spend a few days.

The interstates have been the lifeblood of this country since their inception. Those who want to cut them off are just not being realistic. If you want to see Cincy dry up and blow away then route the interstates around it.
I believe it was Wilson513 who suggested that I-75 is misplaced through downtown Cincinnati. While I don't agree with that, I do wish it was about a half mile to the west. It's too late for that though - any such correction would be far too cost prohibitive.

And yes, I-71 does cut off downtown from the east, but not to the extent that 75 does. Even if the 71 didn't run where it does, downtown would still be blocked by Mount Adams. Sure, it would be a more aesthetically pleasing transition from downtown to Mount Adams if the interstate weren't there, and the incline may still even be there (ala Pittsburgh), but that's about it. It's 75 that really pins downtown in and cuts it off from plenty of land that could be developed to the west. As it stands, virtually nothing can be built to the west of the convention center and be linked to downtown, barring some sort of vast decking system.

For a long time, Fort Washington Way cut off downtown from the riverfront, which resulted in the riverfront existing for decades as a single stadium and a sea of surface parking lots. Only recently with the addition of The Banks - and a much narrower FWWW - has that problem been eased. It's still cut off, but all the north-south streets are bridged over FWW now, so it doesn't feel so isolated. If decks are ever built over FWW, then it would be a seamless transition.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Put decks on top of FWW and you have one long dark tunnel.I for one would not want to have to navigate through that nightmare.

Those who contend I-75 cuts of the west side, from what? The main core downtown is struggling to maintain any semblance of a retail shopping district. So what exactly is I-75 cutting off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati