U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 PM

405 posts, read 753,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
She said kids come in saying their stomach hurts and it turns out that's because they've been sent to school hungry. So we taxpayers pay for their breakfasts and lunches.
Did you see the detailed analysis in the Enquirer today?

One in Five children in the Cincinnati live in poverty ...20%...increased from 15% in 2007.

And by poverty they really mean it, it is something like 22,000 a year or less for a family of four. Or 11,000 for a single person. Don't know about you, but I could not imagine subsisting on that amount.

I agree there is no solution, but the bad news is its getting worse fast.

Regional income gap wider than across US | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
Did you see the detailed analysis in the Enquirer today?

One in Five children in the Cincinnati live in poverty ...20%...increased from 15% in 2007.

And by poverty they really mean it, it is something like 22,000 a year or less for a family of four. Or 11,000 for a single person. Don't know about you, but I could not imagine subsisting on that amount.

I agree there is no solution, but the bad news is its getting worse fast.

Regional income gap wider than across US | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
Yes, the rate of decline is pretty horrifying. And I didn't mean for my earlier comments to sound like I think all the parents of hungry kids are simply irresponsible. I think some of them are, and I have no idea what percentage those people actually represent.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,285 times
Thank you for each of your thoughtful replies!! It s still a bit premature for us to state we are moving, but we are definitely contenders for this job and I am excited about the prospect! The choice of neighborhood has to do with the job itself...we feel strongly about living in the neighborhood in which we serve professionally. That being said, I appreciate the candor of the posters, but especially the fair-mided pragmatism that many have shown. We are certainly not naive, nor are we "flaunters", but realistic. I happen to love architecture...as well as cafes. However, traveling to other neighborhoods that offer fine food and libation is partly adventure, mostly recreational; given the economy, I doubt we shall partake of such treats often. We are venturing out this weekend and I look forward to being once again in Cincy, the city of 7 hills!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM

165 posts, read 331,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki n kudos View Post
Thank you for each of your thoughtful replies!! It s still a bit premature for us to state we are moving, but we are definitely contenders for this job and I am excited about the prospect! The choice of neighborhood has to do with the job itself...we feel strongly about living in the neighborhood in which we serve professionally. That being said, I appreciate the candor of the posters, but especially the fair-mided pragmatism that many have shown. We are certainly not naive, nor are we "flaunters", but realistic. I happen to love architecture...as well as cafes. However, traveling to other neighborhoods that offer fine food and libation is partly adventure, mostly recreational; given the economy, I doubt we shall partake of such treats often. We are venturing out this weekend and I look forward to being once again in Cincy, the city of 7 hills!
The only way a "bad" neighborhood can become better is when good people move in...it's as simple as that. Walnut Hills has long been neglected; if enough people start caring about it again the neighborhood will change for the better. WH is large enough that there are already improving areas; focus on those. I foresee Walnut Hills steadily improving and think the worst of its decline has passed. Hope you chose wisely and can report back later that your experience has been rewarding.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:05 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki n kudos View Post
I hope you get the job and can also decide to locate in the neighborhood where you will be working. To both work and live in the same neighborhood is to me a very commendable situation - shows a real commitment. I wish you the best.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 PM

477 posts, read 529,700 times
Btw, this is an old picture of what Peebles Corner used to look like. Very sad this was lost. The building with all the ads on it which looks like something out of Chicago or New York, well its a low rise National City bank with a drive through now, ridiculously suburban for such an urban corner of the city.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...Peebles001.jpg

Also note all the people on the street! This is what was lost.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Btw, this is an old picture of what Peebles Corner used to look like. Very sad this was lost. The building with all the ads on it which looks like something out of Chicago or New York, well its a low rise National City bank with a drive through now, ridiculously suburban for such an urban corner of the city.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...Peebles001.jpg

Also note all the people on the street! This is what was lost.
Wellll, in terms of people, peeble's corner remains very very busy.

In terms of architecture, peeble's corner plus the rest of the walnut hills business district is pretty much doomed. The neighborhood group is tearing down everything it can.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 PM

11 posts, read 36,335 times
so sorry, i thought i had posted here in follow up to our visit in october! we walked a 4 block radius from the episcopal Church of the Advent, where the job was and is..glad to report that the church now has a new rector, KyungJa Oh, and that we have settled into Cincinnati and loving it!!!!

we looked and looked for housing in Walnut Hills but were unsuccessful; it may have been the time of year as we relocated in December, however i keep up with the search and there are very few whole house rentals. We were able to secure a house rental in nearby Evanston, just a block away from O'bryanville and the park. We love our location and we have racial diversity here...but it is expensive. The class divides are quite obvious visually and in talking to folks throughout the area...and that is taking a toll on struggling neighborhoods that are attempting cleanup. Too bad, because there is so much potential in these neighborhoods and i think the fear folks from outlaying areas have is undeserved.

RE: Krogers. i don't shop there generally because that store has a poor selection of groceries and the quality of produce is poor. i did shop there on Tuesdays, however, because there is a real possibility that the store may close ; we do not need another food desert here. here's info regarding CDC's latest initiative:
"With threat of closure, the Walnut Hills CDC approached Kroger and asked what would keep them in the neighborhood. Basically it would take 200 new customers to spend 50 bucks a month. Now the CDC is sponsoring biweekly programs to encourage people to shop at this location and spend 25 dollars per trip. Further, they have surveys that ask what products people feel are missing from the store and work with Kroger in carrying those products in the future."
Buy 25 Tuesdays: next event July 24

Buy local! Come support the community and shop with your neighbors this coming Tuesday.
Enjoy this video of the first event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati