U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:15 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times

Advertisements

My five reasons:

1. The Reds
2. The Bengals
3. The Cincinnati Bearcats
4. The Xavier Musketeers
5. The Miami Redhawks
6. The NKU Norsemen
7. The Dayton Flyers
8. The Wright State Raiders

And this is before you even begin to touch OSU in Columbus and KY in Lexington. What else can you ask for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
My five reasons:

1. The Reds
2. The Bengals
4. The Xavier Musketeers
5. The Miami Redhawks
6. The NKU Norsemen
7. The Dayton Flyers

And this is before you even begin to touch OSU in Columbus and KY in Lexington. What else can you ask for?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 PM

34 posts, read 63,784 times
Quote:
My five reasons:

1. The Reds
2. The Bengals
4. The Xavier Musketeers
5. The Miami Redhawks
6. The NKU Norsemen
7. The Dayton Flyers

Do you like sports? Wild guess...

Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
My five reasons:

7. The Dayton Flyers
7. The Dayton Flyers
7. The Dayton Flyers
7. The Dayton Flyers
1. The Reds
There. I fixed it for you.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM

5,310 posts, read 6,608,894 times
Quote:
My five reasons:

1. The Reds
2. The Bengals
4. The Xavier Musketeers
5. The Miami Redhawks
6. The NKU Norsemen
7. The Dayton Flyers

They are the Miami RedSKINS.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
They are the Miami RedSKINS.
Where have you been? That moniker was declared illegal years ago when the Miami Indian tribe withdrew their support of the term. Miami U reluctantly changed to Redhawks.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 AM

5,310 posts, read 6,608,894 times
Quote:
Where have you been? That moniker was declared illegal years ago when the Miami Indian tribe withdrew their support of the term. Miami U reluctantly changed to Redhawks.

Illegal my rear end. Ever hear of the Washington RedSKINS? They were the Miami Redskins for decades.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:12 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,225,387 times
Lightbulb Hmmm...Interesting

Quote:
Illegal my rear end. Ever hear of the Washington RedSKINS? They were the Miami Redskins for decades.
It must be quite an inconvenience to walk around with an illegal rear end

However, KJBrill makes an accurate point...they WERE the Miami Redskins for a very long time...but the school changed the name of its' athletic teams to the Miami RedHawks...I don't recall whether it was from community pressure, a split with the Miami Indian tribe, a case and desist order from the Washington Redskins, whatever, but the deed was/is done

And, to another issue, what is the point here? I can reel off a lot of Native American/Indian athletic team names, to wit:

Washington Redskins
Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Chicago Blackhawks
U of Illinois Fighting Illini
Florida State Seminoles

Even Norwood High School calls its' teams the Indians...and so what? I'm not meaning this to sound uncaring or facetious, but if that was another attempt to say 'yo, what's wrong with all the Indian names? Why change 'em?', then prepare to meet a forest of indifference...some folk have been trying for years to get some Native American themed names changed, and have succeeded on some fronts, and gotten stony silence and accusations of being 'overly PC' on others, due to a studied reluctance to 'change'...

And why do I speak out on this? I'm black, and I've dealt with stuff like that my whole life (the n-word, why do we insist on being called african-american, why is there affirmative action/black history month...etc yadayadayada)...as a younger man, I had my angry moments, but after I hit my 50's, my attitude became 'I'm gonna go out here and live my life the way I see fit...be a good friend/neighbor/citizen/friend...if you have a problem with me over some dumb stuff, then pretend you're in the Navy and shove off'

So I come full circle back to the original point...they were the RedSKINS, and now they're the RedHAWKS...what is the big deal?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
You can get on your high horse all you want, but the fact is the Miami U adminstration gave into the Miami Indian Tribe's complaint about the use of the term and officially changed it to Redhawks. Whether they were Redskins for decades or not makes little difference, as they are now Redhawks. That's the way things go in our society.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:23 AM

5,807 posts, read 10,337,835 times
I have a new set of five reasons, new and improved:

1. The third largest URBAN college campus in the midwest (or at least in terms of enrollment after U of Minnesota and Ohio state in Columbus Madison, Ann Arbor are not really urban campuses). An institution that big, really brings in some great minds from all around the world, and give a certain hipness, and something for everyone.

2. The corporate life. A city that is home to the worlds largest producer and marketer of grooming/health/beauty products is going to have to be at least a little hip to trends and fashion, despite P&Gs conservative reputation. Add on all the other corporate headquarters and again creates a cosmopolitan environment.

3. Despite the conservative reputation and racist accusations, there are a number of neighborhoods with high schools that would lend itself to more black and white integration than one would expect: Middle class neighborhoods like Pleasant Ridge, North Avondale-Paddock Hills, College Hill, and Springdale are all pretty decent areas that are split more or less even, and where I casually witnessed comfortable interaction.

4. On the last one, unlike other cities, where one whole half side of the city is the nice part of town, and one whole other half is generally crappy, the fact that most nice areas of the city are never too far from a not that great and run down area, and even in some cases where nice restaurants, bars, etc. intermingle with the hood (such as OTR, Mt. Auburn) CAN give the city a bit more of an "we are all in this together" kind of vibe. At least thats they way I saw it when I visited.

5. Central location. Cincinnati is the purest embodiment of the very term "midwest" at least when it comes to the geographic center of Americas population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or