U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 AM

477 posts, read 531,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I have a new set of five reasons, new and improved:

1. The third largest URBAN college campus in the midwest (or at least in terms of enrollment after U of Minnesota and Ohio state in Columbus Madison, Ann Arbor are not really urban campuses). An institution that big, really brings in some great minds from all around the world, and give a certain hipness, and something for everyone.
While this is a good thing from a distance, the area around campus has a lot of catching up to do before it reaches what Madison's Downtown or High Street in Columbus looks/feels like. While enrollment is up by about 10,000 (~40,000 total) students since I was there about 4 years ago, the neighborhoods around UC really haven't adjusted to be nearly as student oriented as they should be. Mismanagement of redevelopment projects, combined with the glacial pace of change in Cincy are to blame. Also, UC has a nasty rep of being a Commuter School as its "in the Ghetto" which it has to overcome a significant part of the student pop commutes to school instead of living on or around campus (this is also changing but slowly). Student life is non-existent for the size of the school, so I think all the benefits besides the more international population residing in Clifton are kind of negated until these problems can be overcome.

One nasty side effect is the 1960s style Urban Renewal going on in Coryville, which I've mentioned many times before, where to meet student demand the Uptown Consortium is going out of its way to knock down a beautiful historic neighborhood to put up cheap student housing. Also there is a large field where there should be student oriented entertainment/businesses because the University cleared all buildings there and never built anything to replace it due to mismanagement of funds.

When I talk to people I knew in College who still live around campus about how Cincy is finally starting to look up, they tend to shrug and reply, "Well I guess things are getting better Downtown". While part of this is Cincy cynicism, there is some truth as the area around campus needs a lot of work.

In short, Cincinnati does not have an ideal Urban Campus vibe - too many dumb issues to work out. I was always jealous of Columbus when I lived there because there was way more to do, high street is literally like a main drag in a hip neighborhood of Chicago but with uglier buildings. :P

Last edited by neilworms2; 10-13-2011 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM

31,390 posts, read 57,623,106 times
U of M not an urban campus?

OK ...

Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,397,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
U of M not an urban campus?

OK ...
Well, what I meant by urban is in a city that is at least 300,000 people, immediately surrounded by several hundred thousand people strong suburbs.

Ann Arbor is an AWESOME city, but it is a small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or