U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times

Advertisements

We all have an ability to not recognze something which originated in our own back yard. The Krispy Kreme donut company started in Paducah KY, moved to Nashville, and then to Winston-Salem NC where the corporate name was created in 1937.

My grandparents lived on Sibley Ave. in Silverton. When I was a young pup the family gathered to play cards, I believe the most popular game was 500 which I know nothing about. What I do remember was late at night there was a Krispy Kreme bakery at the intersection of Sibley and Plainfield. They would send me down there to buy fresh out of the oven donuts. The purpose of the bakery was to supply donuts to retail establishments all over Cincinnati the next morning, but they would sell over the counter in the front. I just remember the aroma from the bakery as I was walking down the street to buy donuts. Back then there were not a lot of varieties, just the basic glazed yeast donut.

Then when I returned back to grandpa's the sheer ecstasy of dumping those donuts into a cup of fresh brewed coffee until they got all soggy and began to fall apart. Take a spoon to get the remnants out of the cup. We did not have a whole lot back then, but the Krispy Kremes were definitely a satisfying part of life.

What are your memories?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 AM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
When the Krispy Kreme opened up in Eastgate, we used to joke that the Union Township cops around the corner had their own "Hot Donuts Now" light synchronized with the one at the store.

I guess all the Krispy Kremes are closed now? Two new stores just opened in Philadelphia; thank goodness nowhere near where I live or work!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM

5,310 posts, read 6,608,894 times
Krispy Kreme stores are still around in Michigan.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,296,338 times
We're still stuffing ourselves with them down here in Charleston, SC.

Story:
On the first trip off of Parris Island, after graduating Marine bootcamp, my seemingly emaciated son ate a dozen Krispy Kremes in one sitting, in the car, in less than a 5 mile trip to our new home down here. Hasn't had another one in his 8 year career he says!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,999,514 times
So has the Eastgate location closed?

We had a bunch close in the Phoenix area but they are slowly starting to make a comeback.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 AM

9,345 posts, read 15,780,146 times
There's one in Dayton.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM

212 posts, read 600,048 times
There's a store in Columbus, in the north side/Sawmill road area. Without looking it up, I think this is the only one we have in C-Bus.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 PM

112 posts, read 318,312 times
I remember the one on highland. Use to love to go when the Hot Sign came on. Sadly it burned down or whatever and I was upset. Those are by far the best donuts. Then the in Eastgate but that is too far from me. So no donuts come close to Krispy Kreme well Silverton Donuts is close. WE went to Nashville when I graduated college and drove past Tenneessee State and saw Krispy Kreme and the hot sign just came on so I rushed in the parking lot. I ordered a dozen for myself and half of them were gone before leaving.

I do miss good food. Let's be honest Golden Corral is gone, Krispy Kreme. Dennys, Ryans and so many more. Its like they don't want you to have a quick donut or sit down meal.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
Krispy Kreme had a cult following in the Northeast for years n' years. Since "everybody was talking" about them, when I saw a case bearing that familiar logo in a Brooklyn grocery store I promptly bought a half-dozen of the glazed. Like everybody else, I'd consumed most of the bagful before I made it back out the door.

Boston all but held a parade when franchises started opening in the area. At the location near where I worked at the time, off-duty cops were called in to handle traffic control. The stores were so popular that there were even delivery drivers hired to help try and meet the demand. Soon the sight of people wearing green Krispy Kreme jumpsuits and bearing donuts in pizza boxes was an everyday one. In a shameless and successful attempt to curry favor with co-workers, I used to always make a KK run when it was my turn to bring in breakfast on the morning of a pay day.

Sadly, Krispy Kreme in New England made like a supernova and quickly flared out. It got so that when I made a payday run I'd be the only customer in the place. The locals inexplicably had gotten fickle and gone back to their mediocre "Dunkies." Before long there were no franchises left. However, they must still be big down South 'cause I saw a line of cars at a KK drive-thru in SC one night - after 10 - not long ago.

"RIP" also to Tim Horton's, a Canadian donut/sandwich chain which I got happily acquainted with on trips to Rhode Island. The company downsized last year and pulled the plug on all the RI stores.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Sigh...the only Krispy Kreme store I'm aware of in the Dayton area is in Kettering. And, of course, many C-stores and grocery stores carry them.. BUt that's not the same as going to a real Krispy Kreme store. Dunkin's not bad. And, fortunately, Tim Horton's is alive & well in SW Ohio!

Denny's is making a comeback, of sorts. They've teamed up with the Flying J/Pilot truck stop and travel center chain. There's one in Walton, KY, Beaverdam, OH and Spiceland, IN so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati