U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,526 times

Advertisements

Does any body remember the Black Dome on Vine, a couple doors down from William Howard Taft Rd/Calhoun St. It was located right across from a future club called Reflections. It did not serve alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM

8 posts, read 23,381 times
I remember the black dome ,I worked there for awhile. It was a great place to enjoy some of the best music around at that time.Both local and national bands performed there,like procul harem,the James gang with Joe Walsh,and Dr.John,Alice Cooper,and many more.Local groups like The Sacred Mushroom with the Goshorn Brothers,Quick,Quick,The Glass Wall,and Balderdash performed there as well.I was very fortunate to have been associated with many good friends,and lucky to have met some of these famous musicians.I even got to jam with a few of them ( I am also a musician ) It was a great time in my life.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,526 times
Thank you Dave, I remember seeing Canned Heat and Taj Mahal there. Do you know when they tore it down? Don

Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Don, I don't really know when they took it down,but from what I heard is the property was sold,and the next thing in it's place was a " u- totem " quick mart.They also took down the head shop next door on mc millan.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,099 times
totally remember it. best times back then...lucky we had clifton daze to remember.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,053 times
Just sitting around listening to James Gang and thinking about their almost monthly appearances at the Black Dome ("no holding").
I've often wondered how many people remembered or appreciated what happend there. Small cover, big music! I didn't drink and enjoyed sitting on the floor, no more than 40 feet from the stage to watch John Mayal, Joe Walsh, Dr. John, Charlie Musslewhite and the house band Quik Quik (so many other wasted weekends and bands).
Truly a very fond memory.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 AM

It was the best place to hear some of the best music around without spending a lot of cash to hear these very talented people.No alcohol was served at the dome, just soft drinks,and snacks,and pizza.It was the music,the people,(some already buzzed)that really made it a good time.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Default Black dome / Jim Tarbell at motr discussion

Just went to the motr club on main st.Jim Tarbell was speaking about the music in this city and the many clubs that were around through the sixties and seventies especially the black dome,and the ludlow garage plus others in the area at that time.He is going to speak again next Sunday at 2 pm.at motr.Jim Tarbell leased and ran the ludlow garage in the 1970's he had information to share. the black dome was originally owned,or bought by the people who owned the mug club another Clifton club at the time.The black dome was also a couple of years before the ludlow garage arrived conceived by Jim Tarbell.This was a very informative talk about the clubs,and the changing music scene at that time.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:41 AM

800 posts, read 696,704 times
Dave, I had hoped to go to this talk but my car died Saturday and I had to run around getting parts today. I hope to come to the talk next week.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,489 times
Hey Guys, Just signed on to this site. I discovered it while looking at some posting of the Cincinnati music past. The Dome
played a very big part of that. Dave I sent you a personal message as well. We have to have known each other. I also worked at the Dome as well as I was the Saber's equipment manager for a number of years before they split. Hell, Larry Butler and I built the Dome's stage. I also can tell you how the Black Dome got it's name. Another story, but true, it was named after a apartment that was in the next door apartment building that another friend of mine was living and decided to paint his whole room BLACK. Art ,(drummer for the Saber's, came up with, it looked like a " Black Dome." The name stuck and we had the Black Dome) Someone also asked about the Dome when it was up the street at the old Mug Club and had heard that Hendrix played there opening night. Yes he did. One set and left. The Saber's brought him to Xavier for his first concert in Cincinnati and had him come down to make a appearance for them. He did. Very late, but did. The Dome was only at the Mug Club a few weeks and ten had to find another location. Ended up for the best. So as they say, THEM WHERE THE GOOD OLD DAY. Take care and safe everyone. Ron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati