Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 PM

10 posts, read 17,714 times

Advertisements

I was planning on moving to Cincinnati but I was wondering where is a good neighborhood to live in? I 20 years old and would like rent to not be to expensive but also would like there not to be a lot of crime. That is one of the main reasons I am looking into moving to Cincinnati because of the low cost of living. I also would like to move to a place where there is a lot of walking. Like to restaurants, bars, etc. How is the job market there? Would it be real difficult trying to get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:18 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,532,277 times
Hi Toshiba,

Not to deflect your question, but this topic has been handled about 1000 times on this board. Do a few searches and I think you will find enough recent commentary answer your concerns about neighborhoods. You'll find people talking about Oakley, Clifton, downtown, Hyde Park, Walnut Hills and many other neighborhoods. Take your pick.

The job part of your question might be a bit different. The answer is going to depend on what kind of job you are looking for. There are absolutely jobs here, and our unemployment rate is slightly less than the national average, but it depends on what you want to do.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,283,575 times
Cincinnati is not an expensive place to live, but the opportunities for a 20 year old without specific training or work experience are not necessarily that great. I would definitely try to line up a job before moving here, and then pick a neighborhood that is convenient. The job market is either good or terrible depending on your field.

Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Adams, etc. are nice walking neighborhoods, but you definitely have to pay a premium to live there. Without knowing your projected budget it is impossible to know if it would be a good fit. There are plenty of places in the Cincinnati area where you can get a pretty decent apartment for under $500/month, but unfortunately those places won't be safe walking communities near trendy bars and restaurants.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,725,713 times
I agree the job question will be related to your qualifications and what you want to do. My former company has rallied from the depression and is looking for several dozen positions to be filled. But it is a specific technical job - machine tool applications engineering. I understand they are having problems finding qualified people. No surprise as that field has been depressed for some time and people forced to make career changes and look elsewhere.

I also agree spend time going through this board and reviewing the threads on the same subjects concerning housing, neighborhoods, etc. There are tons of recent postings on the subject. If you can then come back and ask more specific questions you will get specific responses.

Last edited by kjbrill; 09-26-2011 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 09-26-2011, 07:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,957,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Cincinnati is not an expensive place to live, but the opportunities for a 20 year old without specific training or work experience are not necessarily that great. I would definitely try to line up a job before moving here, and then pick a neighborhood that is convenient. The job market is either good or terrible depending on your field.

Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Adams, etc. are nice walking neighborhoods, but you definitely have to pay a premium to live there. Without knowing your projected budget it is impossible to know if it would be a good fit. There are plenty of places in the Cincinnati area where you can get a pretty decent apartment for under $500/month, but unfortunately those places won't be safe walking communities near trendy bars and restaurants.
If you're in a lower income bracket, Cheviot and North College Hill are pretty walkable.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,000,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
If you're in a lower income bracket, Cheviot and North College Hill are pretty walkable.
If you're lower income, also consider Norwood. Although it's a separate municipality from Cincinnati, it's virtually in the middle of and surrounded by the larger city. It's also near downtown and on two major bus routes that would connect you with many employment possibilities, including the large university/hospital district. Norwood is also a diverse neighborhood with tons of inexpensive apartments, a huge Kroger supermarket, and its fair share of bars (none too "trendy," but bars nevertheless). And it's home to a number of retail/service jobs that might interest you. Lastly, a recent survey chose Norwood as the "third most walkable community in Ohio." In the case of this historic, colorful blue-collar urban neighborhood, such an honor is well-deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: