U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:59 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,616,053 times

Advertisements

Is there a reason why Hamilton county residents raised their sales tax to pay for new sports stadiums, yet fail to attend the games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,654,578 times
Is there a reason for another thread on a topic that has literally been beaten into the ground so far that it's starting to pop up in the Phillipines? It's obvious that, after an ugly loss today, you're doing little more than trying to stir up something negative. But you're one of the most negative-to-Cincinnati posters on the national CD forums, so it's not a surprise.

The Bengals had a seven-year sellout streak that stopped last year in reaction to another dismal season. When the team wins, they sell out games. When they lose, they don't. This phenomenon isn't unique to Cincinnati.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Is there a reason why Hamilton county residents raised their sales tax to pay for new sports stadiums, yet fail to attend the games?
Of course there is, it is called perpetual losing. This year's team seems to be playing better but they are still 1-2. Just because you voted for one bad deal doesn't mean you have to throw more money down the same hole.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Of course there is, it is called perpetual losing. This year's team seems to be playing better but they are still 1-2. Just because you voted for one bad deal doesn't mean you have to throw more money down the same hole.
Today's game was disappointing from the development standpoint kjbrill. I thought they took two steps forward the first two games but took a step back today. I guess that's to be expected with a rookie QB, but it was ugly. First and goal from the five twice and have to settle for field goals?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,354,585 times
I feel that the professional sports industry is a sad commentary on our society, although I think it goes all the way back to the gladiators of Rome. You think the county would ever let ourselves be held hostage by an artist or a poet? I was a three sport High School athlete, a two sport NCAA athlete and still am perennial rec-sports nut, and I love sport and competition as much as anyone. The way the pro (and college) sports industry cleverly markets their product in a way that ties the self esteem of a large population to the outcome of an arbitrary sporting contest sickens me. I think the US would be a better place if all the major sports leagues and college conferences went belly up.

I know that losing a pro sports team would have an economic impact on the region, but I think it would be a lot less than Mike Brown would have you believe. I only wish that we hadn't blown it and paid for his new stadium.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,616,053 times
Quote:

And remember, the Bengals went to 2 Super Bowls while playing in that "outdated" riverfront stadium.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,001,730 times
I seem to recall fans being scared sh*tless that Mikey Boy would move the team to Baltimore (or elsewhere) if Hamilton County taxpayers didn't pony up money for the new stadium back in 1995-96?

I have a love/hate affair with the team. It'll never happen, but I wish the NFL would step in and take over for the Browns/Blackbirds. There's no reason to suck as bad as the Bengals do year after year in a league that, above all, champions mediocrity and equality over a handful of teams (looking at you, MLB)

Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 AM

My son has had two season tickets to the Bengals going well back into the 90s at Riverfront. Two years ago a good friend of his who also had two tickets decided to give them up. My son applied for and got those tickets which were adjacent to his seats. The intent was the two kids were old enough to appreciate the game and the whole family would go. After last season his wife requested he give up two of the season tickets, and just he and their son go this year. She said take the money saved and get us all season tickets to UC basketball.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
My son has had two season tickets to the Bengals going well back into the 90s at Riverfront. Two years ago a good friend of his who also had two tickets decided to give them up. My son applied for and got those tickets which were adjacent to his seats. The intent was the two kids were old enough to appreciate the game and the whole family would go. After last season his wife requested he give up two of the season tickets, and just he and their son go this year. She said take the money saved and get us all season tickets to UC basketball.
Which, if UC can't find its way into a BCS conference with the way this realignment is shaping up, won't be worth much either.

The Big East, as we know it, won't exist in three years. UC needs to be on its knees pleading with the Big12 to request an invite.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM

With the announcement yesterday of Texas A&M joining the SEC, where are the alignments? A Texas team in the South Eastern Conference? Obviously the conference names mean nothing. Pittsburgh and Sycracuse going to the ACC. That makes more sense to me than Texas A&M in the SEC. But so maybe Rutgers and Connecticutt also to the ACC? So how many teams do the SEC and ACC expect to have? Enough so they have to split into two confernces so a league champion cannot be adequately crowned since they have played less than half the teams in the league? That is what we have in the NFL/AFL today - pure mediocrity.

College sports are mimicing professional sports, pure money, no reflection of regional rivalries and all of the other memories from a particular school we attended. Once you remove the personal from the involvement and it becomes pure money, the obvious will set in, have a winning season and you will fill your stadium, have a losing season or two and you will be playing to empty. Too many empties and you may be removed from the scene. Perhaps that is what we need, a weeding out from both progessional and collegiate sports of those who suvive and those who disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati