U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,377,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But the fact part of it is in Warren Co. I never realized. It is amazing how things I thought were so far away when I was young I realize are just around the corner today. Not really just around the corner but accessible.
Just 'cause it's in the same county doesn't mean that you can get there from here! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM

29 posts, read 36,183 times
I will be moving to Warren County, in Deer Medows subdivision in Harlan Township.
Sure will have a big lawn to mow!
Yes, I am retiring ther, so to speak.
My sons tell me Blanchester is like Mayberry, and there are other small burgs like it in the area.
I just want to live close to my sons and grandsons and not fear for our safety.
And I LOVE TO FISH!!! See, I want to share that with my grandsons.
If we all went into Blanchester what kinds of things could we do?

Thanks for all the feedback so far, ya'll have been very nice.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Congrats!

There are a boatload of state parks etc. nearby for you to fish at: Cowan Lake, Stonelick, Caesar Creek, the Little Miami River, and some private fishing lakes. Rocky Fork state park is on the other side of Hillsboro; it's nice, too.

Other nearby little burgs to explore: Fayetteville, Hillsboro, Wilmington, Clarksville, Waynesville, Lebanon.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Just to go over some of the lakes within a reasonable drive.

Deer Creek, Cowan, Caesar Creek, Stonelick, Lake Grant, East Fork Reservoir, Lake White, Rocky Fork, Little Miami River.

It will take awhile just to try them all. I am not going to claim the fishing is as good as in Michigan.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,219,757 times
I think Blanchester still has a movie theatre..?? (right??)... as far as entertainment, I don't know what else there is ..

Lebanon and Waynesville both have antique-type shops, and various fairs throughout the years (Waynesville's saurkraut festival is this weekend, Lebanon's apple festival was last weekend)...

Lebanon has a movie theatre, and the county fair grounds - which has a horse-racing track (harness racing, I believe).

You won't be far from the "main" areas of the Northern Cinci Burbs -- Mason/Deerfield Township -- which of course has lots of shopping, restaurants, etc..

Warren County in general bills itself as "Ohio's Playground" - with King's Island, the Beach Water Park, and now there's zip-line adventure at the YMCA camp (Camp Kern) which is just outside of Lebanon, towards Morrow.

The weather is much milder here (longer Fall, earlier Spring) - so you'll be able to be outside more if you like. I came from Ypsilanti, and was impressed that you can easily do things outside here through Thanksgiving, even mid December without a lot discomfort.

Not a bad drive into downtown Cinci, if you want bigger cultural events, or fancier restaurants. Blanchester is off the main freeway, so you're kinda halfway between Lebanon and Milford.. Milford has a basic selection of shops/restaurants as well.

You could also go up into south Dayton (Centerville, BeaverCreek, etc..) without too much trouble and shop at the malls, etc.. up there.

Personally, I would say there's probably not a lot to do in Blanchester proper (no slight intended) - but if you're willing to drive just a bit - you'll find lots to do.

Hope you enjoy your new home.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I believe Blanchester is still pretty much of a farming community. Saturday morning is likely the highlight of the week when everyone comes into town for shopping, though I am sure that is less of an effect than years ago.

There is a 6-screen Showplace Cinema in town. There is also a Gold Star Chili but no Skyline.

I truely hope you find the area to be peaceful and tranquil. Encourage the grandkids to come out and enjoy the country atmosphere.

If you don't have one, you might want to consider a small boat and trailer for fishing. The lakes are not really designed for shore fishing, access points are quite limited. With a few exceptions, most of the lakes have low power motor limits so a nice fishing skiff and outboard/trolling motor is ideal. The simplest to unramp/ramp is what you want. The local lakes with larger motor limits would be Caesar Creek, Rocky Fork, and East Fork Reservoir. If you already own a large boat then you are looking toward the southern KY lake region. But that is a significant drive.

I am not sure it is Mayberry, but when going to Milford on Route 28 you do pass through Mt Repose and Mulberry.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM

29 posts, read 36,183 times
Well, we closed on the new home this morning. I just found out. I am so excited i can't be still!
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned how dark it gets at night where I am moving, which will be great for stargazing and watching meteor showers.

Looks like I will be investing in a small boat and trolling motor soon.

As far as Deer Meadows Subdivision goes, what phone and power companies will I be using?

One thing about the area that I think will be MUCH better than living in Cincinnati proper, which I did for many years, will be the lack of an inversion layer that traps all the smog and increases the heat and humidity in that valley. I used to hate Summer there (I lived in Clifton, Oakley, and Norwood), but the new house has central air, and I have NEVER had that before. Now as I am getting older I find myself dreading Winter.

I am so excited!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM

gymshoes... Yes this will be a different experience. No way is this Clifton, Oakley or Norwood. Hope you enjoy the experience very much and yes go get that small boat and trolling motor. You can use them here until the snow flies, January and February, but you will be out on the lakes again in March. Be sure and ask the locals when crappie season starts, nothing is more fun, especially with a cane pole. In the larger lakes you can troll for muskies.

Welcome, welcome, welcome. Being close to your kids and grandkids it doesn't get any better than that.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Um -- oh, yeah! It's dark out there in the boonies! LOL

So peaceful. Back in the day, my friends and I would drive out into country around Morrow at dusk, and watch the fireflies light up the fields, and then watch the stars.

Wish I could help you about the utilities, but I haven't a clue! Your real estate agent should be able to help.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 PM

gymshoes... Sorry if I keep chiming in. As far as winter in the country, just make sure you have a well stocked freezer and pantry. Then you can just sit in the house and thumb your nose at the outdoors.

1st time for central air heh? Over 60 years ago I started working with computers. I liked it because the early ones had to be in an airconditioned environment so they didn't melt. So obviously I was airconditioned also. One summer they decided to shut down the entire company the first two weeks of July. After two weeks at home I had an outfit install both a new furnace and a central air conditioning system. in my house. I was dying! Never been without central air since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati