U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,412,053 times

Advertisements

OP - Be thankful you are moving to a one horse town. It may not be glamorous but it is safe.

Look into that small fishing boat and motor. Concentrate on the easiest thing to trailer and unload/load on the ramps. If you like fishing it will be a necessity.

Walleyes in Ohio are mainly considered to be Lake Erie fishing. But Caesar Creek Lake, Rocky Fork Lake, Cowan Lake, and Grand Lake St Marys, all within easy reach of you have decent Walleye populations. Grand Lake St Marys is quite a bit north of Dayton and was a reservoir constructed to feed the Miami-Erie canal. For years Grand Lake St Marys was considered the largest man-made reservoir in the world. Walleye fishing in Ohio lakes basically involves trolling for them, thus the need for a boat and motor. Another popular fish in Ohio's larger lakes is the Muskellunge which is native to the state. This is also most commonly caught via trolling.

Please let us know how things are progressing once you actually get here. From your comments concerning the kids and grandkids I am sure you are going to be satisfied with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM

My father, bless his soul, liked to fish. But he considered bank fishing to be good enough. We never caught a lot, but we had fun trying. He used to drag my brother and me out on Friday night after work to go fishing. We would go to places like Stonelick Lake, Grant Lake, and Lake White Ohio. We had a relative who operated a camping ground, bait house, and boat rental on Lake White, so that was one of our favorite destinations. Dad had a station wagon, the earliest I remember was a Ford Country Squire, so the three of us would bed down in the rear with our sleeping bags. If you can generate some memories with your grandkids similar to mine with my father, moving here to Ohio will be very satisfying to you.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM

71 posts, read 164,446 times
This may be a little late, but I actually moved to Blanchester from Lebanon and consider it the best move i have ever made. I LOVE it here! It truly is small town America at its best. There is a fairly active sort of town entertainment, like fish fries, spaghetti dinners, and the like. It is a place where I feel comfortable not locking my car doors at the grocery store, the cashiers at Kroger recognize me and we can chat. Blan has everything you NEED, including a MacDonald's, Subway, Gold Star, a really good restaurant called EttaLee's (GREAT fried chicken!), a couple of diners and bars, and even a Chinese takeout place. I commute to St. Bernard three times a week and it is a good hour drive, but you will find most kinds of shops, stores, restaurants, and even local theater in nearby Milford or Mason (also Loveland). There is of course some petty crime here, like teenager-related stuff or domestic stuff, but I have never felt unsafe, even at 3 in the morning while taking out the dog. Blanchester is close to at least 2 state parks (Cowan Lake and Stonelick) if you like fishing, and is surrounded by beautiful farm country. If you move here, you will find the locals open and friendly and eager to help. It is a place where people sit on their front porch in the evening and chat. If you're looking for retirement communities, Blanchester does have a couple, although I don't really know much about them. However, there are 2 pharmacies, doctors, chiropractors, and a vet, so most basic stuff is here. There is also a medical center that is a branch of Clinton County Memorial Hospital. Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here :-)

Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM

71 posts, read 164,446 times
I'd just like to add to what an earlier poster said about keeping your pantry stocked in winter...being from Michigan, you may have experienced this, but it is not uncommon for us to get freezing rain storms that cause powerlines to fall and cut off power. I hope that since you will be in a newer subdivision that you won't have much of that, but it is a good idea to keep some bottled water, hand warmers, long underwear, and nonperishable non-heat necessary foods around in the winter. Also, the roads don't always get cleared as quickly out here as they do in town. You will be safe in Harlan Township and will be much closer to convenient shopping than you would have been in Blanchester proper. You can take 22&3 (Montgomery Rd.) to the Mason/Deerfield Township/FieldsErtel area. You can take rt. 48 to Lebanon or Loveland, and also to get on I-71 to go downtown.

Congratulations on your new home and good luck in your new adventure :-)

Also, for a pay-to-fish lake, Lake Cozy-Dale is not too far from Loveland.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 AM

Curlygirl... Glad you chimed in. It is always good to hear from someone who has actually waked the walk. Your comments are very much in line with what I would expect. The OP should be reassured they have made the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati