Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,360,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymshoes View Post
OG81, have you ever paid attention, close attention, to the texture and "mouth feel" of the Cincinnati-style chili?

It's not ground, boiled hamburger that makes up the "meat in it; I believe it's finely ground & shredded beef heart and other less desirable cuts.

But hey, I love cheese coneys as much as anybody...
Nonsense. These commissaries have dozens of employees pass through each year some leaving under good terms some fired or owtherwise unhappy and they would never, ever, allow that type of information to be diseminated even if it was true which I am sure it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,709,519 times
There is absolutely no reason for the Cincinnati Chili vendors to use anything but ground beef in its preparation as there is plenty of profit to go around. Now the weenies in the Coneys that is a different story.

My own method is to whip raw ground beef with water until I have an emulsion like mixture, whip in the spice packet, bring it to a good boil for several minutes then turn down to a simmer for several hours. The longer and slower it is cooked the better the result. I also find there is little to be gained by using a higher grade ground beef such as sirloin, round, or chuck. Plain ground beef works fine. If the fat rises to the top I may skim some off, but usually I just give it a good stir when serving.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM

My wife and I personally like Frisch's chili. For some strange reason we also like to ask for extra crackers and crush the saltines into the chili. On nights when we hanker for carryout, about 50% of the time I go to Frisch's and order two chilis and fish sandwiches with extra tartar sauce. A strange combination but we like what we like. Pretty soon I will also get a whole pumpkin pie to go with them and swing by Kroger on the way home for either ice cream or dairy whip for the pie. When the nasty weather sets in our taste buds begin to salivate. I know we are weird, but chili, fish sandwich, and pumpkin pie, what more can you ask for?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I know we are weird, but chili, fish sandwich, and pumpkin pie, what more can you ask for?
Beer.

You know who makes good chili -- Demetrio's in Madison Place. Yum. Good breakfasts, too!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Beer.

You know who makes good chili -- Demetrio's in Madison Place. Yum. Good breakfasts, too!
I have the beer at home or buy it at Kroger along with the dairy whip.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 PM

When I first started this thread I expected many more to respond Cincinnati Chili is not chili, just the southwestern kind. But that never really materialized. It may be due to the fact if you argue against Cincinnati Chili in a Cincinnati forum you are going to lose.

Not only do I like Cincinnati Chili in all of its presentations, make my own variety at home, and consider it a hallmark of our area, I also like chili period. I like Tex-Mex and a number of other styles.

Yesterday, my wife decided to cook up another chili concoction. She found a recipe on a jar of chutney. It involved cumin, white beans, ground turkey, chili powder, and some other strange ingredients. She cooked it up and it was actually quite good. Like most everything we prepare it was a large pot and we have plenty of leftovers for another meal.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,464,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
My wife and I personally like Frisch's chili. For some strange reason we also like to ask for extra crackers and crush the saltines into the chili. On nights when we hanker for carryout, about 50% of the time I go to Frisch's and order two chilis and fish sandwiches with extra tartar sauce. A strange combination but we like what we like. Pretty soon I will also get a whole pumpkin pie to go with them and swing by Kroger on the way home for either ice cream or dairy whip for the pie. When the nasty weather sets in our taste buds begin to salivate. I know we are weird, but chili, fish sandwich, and pumpkin pie, what more can you ask for?
Frisch's always includes a tub of whipped "something" that tastes pretty good whenever we buy the whole pumpkin pie. (same with the strawberry in the summer.)

Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,953,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Frisch's always includes a tub of whipped "something" that tastes pretty good whenever we buy the whole pumpkin pie. (same with the strawberry in the summer.)
I'm pretty sure you can buy the same stuff frozen in a plastic bag at GFS. I think it's one of those partially hydrogenated coconut oil concoctions.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 PM

29 posts, read 42,632 times
Arrow Shredded beef hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Nonsense. These commissaries have dozens of employees pass through each year some leaving under good terms some fired or owtherwise unhappy and they would never, ever, allow that type of information to be diseminated even if it was true which I am sure it is not.
Back when I lived in Cincinnati, I distinctly recall beef hearts being listed in the ingredients on the sides of cans containing Skyline Chili. Now it just says beef.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM

520 posts, read 1,850,005 times
Who cares what it is... it tastes great!! I love me some Cincinnati style chili.

I will admit that it was an acquired taste for me. I was taken to Gold Star chili for lunch my first week at work. I thought it was terrible. I tried Skyline and hated it! Over several years it grew on me and now I love the stuff. Whenever I fly out of CVG I always eat at GoldStar just because I won't be able to get Cincinnati chili where I'm headed. I'm not sure why that is... I don't eat chili that often.

Man, I could go for a 5-way right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati