U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times

Advertisements

It just seems to me that recently I have noticed a change in quality, to the negative side, of the ground beef I have purchased. I like to use ground beef in many forms, burgers on the grill, enchiladas and burritos, Cincinnati Chili, even the various forms of hamburger helper.

But I have noticed recently I am less than satisfied with the ground beef. It seems to have a gritty texture, or what I feel is a more than normal content of gristle. Now I shop at several locations, Krogers near me, Meijer, Wal-Mart, Costco, Whole Foods, a private butcher shop, etc. What is dismaying me is the quality of the ground beef seems to have degraded at all of them.

Now we all realize food distribution is concentrated in a few mega-sized companies. But when the quality of a basic product like ground beef is being compromised by the lack of control of the ingredients, I say enough is enough. But when I say lack of control, it may be the exact opposite, total control including putting those backyard cuts into the ground beef.

If any of you have seen this same trend and object, please join in.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
I was in Charleston this week, went to my favorite restaurant of all time and and all ground beef products were off the menu. I did not ask but I assume it was due to the recall.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I was in Charleston this week, went to my favorite restaurant of all time and and all ground beef products were off the menu. I did not ask but I assume it was due to the recall.
I would assume you are correct. The enormous recall obviously affected many institutions. But my objection is just a general lowering of the standards which I consider ground beef.

Another thing I have noticed, I bring a package of ground beef home and attempt to brown it in a skillet in preparation for another dish. It will not break apart, just adheres in clumps like it has some sort of glue in it. I Like my ground beef granular in texture, especially when I am preparing tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or any other of my favorite Mexican recipes.

Again, just objecting to what I feel is an overall degrading of the quality of ground beef. The most recent episode of contaimated meat is one thing, the overall trend is another. But maybe they are connected, less quality control and testing, more contamination and a lesser quality product.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I would assume you are correct. The enormous recall obviously affected many institutions. But my objection is just a general lowering of the standards which I consider ground beef.

Another thing I have noticed, I bring a package of ground beef home and attempt to brown it in a skillet in preparation for another dish. It will not break apart, just adheres in clumps like it has some sort of glue in it. I Like my ground beef granular in texture, especially when I am preparing tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or any other of my favorite Mexican recipes.

Again, just objecting to what I feel is an overall degrading of the quality of ground beef. The most recent episode of contaimated meat is one thing, the overall trend is another. But maybe they are connected, less quality control and testing, more contamination and a lesser quality product.
I did not see any news this week so I missed that story but I definitely agree as to the quality of ground meat. I do not hesitate to buy a piece of meat and have it ground.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Believe it or not, I prefer the quality of Aldi's ground beef to anything at Kroger or Meijer. But the state of regulation of food safety is only getting worse with government cutbacks. And producers' costs are rising rapidly and they're looking for ways to still turn a profit while not raising prices too much. So eating ground beef's going to become more and more like Russian Roulette. If you want a higher degree of safety plus unparalleled quality and flavor, put that grinding attachment on your Kitchenaid and make your own.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM

Sarah... I agree. Guess I will have to get my grinder on the KirtchenAid out more often.

When I make my favorite Tex-Mex Chili, I usually go to Meijer and purchase round steak. I go there because I can actually recognize the product as round steak. I put it into the freezer until it becomes semi-rigid and then slice it down into about 1/4" cubes, brown it in a cast-iron skillet, and toss it into the crock pot. After I cook it on low for about 8 hours, toss in a bunch of diced onions, tomato paste, chili mix, and of course kidney beans I am happy. The so-called purists deride chili with beans. I could care less, I like beans.

The thought of having to produce my own ground beef is not attractive. But if the grocery stores continue to offer the inferior product they currently are I guess I will have no alternative.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
the wife and i have tried out a product called TVP, it is basically dehydrated soy. we have used it as a substitute for ground beef in sloppy joe and tacos. i was shocked at how delicious both turned out. it might be worth checking out, a bag costs like $5 and includes the equivalent of probably 3 lbs of ground beef. it is hard to find - meijer and whole foods don't carry it. biggs carries it in the baking goods section, Red Mills makes it. if you aren't vegetarian, there is no reason you can't rehydrate it with beef stock or even only partially substitute the meat in a recipe with it.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
the wife and i have tried out a product called TVP, it is basically dehydrated soy. we have used it as a substitute for ground beef in sloppy joe and tacos. i was shocked at how delicious both turned out. it might be worth checking out, a bag costs like $5 and includes the equivalent of probably 3 lbs of ground beef. it is hard to find - meijer and whole foods don't carry it. biggs carries it in the baking goods section, Red Mills makes it. if you aren't vegetarian, there is no reason you can't rehydrate it with beef stock or even only partially substitute the meat in a recipe with it.
That is a good idea and I will have to check it out. My biggest complaint is somewhere along the line the processed ground beef seems to have lost its quality. What was once a very simple ingredient seems to be now suspect as to its origins.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM

171 posts, read 294,976 times
I have not noticed a difference in ground beef recently. Although, I normally buy ground sirloin instead of ground chuck so it's a lot less fatty.

The best beef I've found around here is from the local butcher shop/meat market. I'm all into buying local these days...

Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
good post its not your imagination. meats fruits vegetables bread everything quality reduction. disguised inflation.
also smaller packaging more disguised inflation.
this is not a recession and recovery this is a permanent contraction of the economy.
DC regulatory watchdogs are liars corner.
these guys are looking the other way so hard they got neck issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati