U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,967,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanf03 View Post
well to answer your actual question, I would recommend looking in Evendale.
I don't think much of Evendale's location within the greater metro area, but otherwise it looks to me like it has a lot going for it. I believe I also read a couple years ago that it has the lowest residential property tax rate of any local governmental jurisdiction in the Cincinnati area. And you can do worse than the Princeton schools, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM

78 posts, read 97,095 times
Evendale? thanks.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,413,605 times
For years, Evendale's low property tax rate was due primarily to the tax revenue from GE Aviation's Evendale operation. I know much of GE's production has been shifted to other plants, but believe the Evendale plant is still quite active.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 7,132 times
Default HOA costs?

I'm not a fan of the idea of HOA's at all, but we are moving to greater Cincinatti and looking for a 'newer' house (we're expecting our first child in a few months and don't want a house with a lot of unexpected maintenance issues) so it sounds like we will most likely be stuck with them. What would be the average cost of HOA's...assuming it's just a regular neighborhood, not one of those ones with pools and such? Is it a monthly or yearly cost?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbertin View Post
I'm not a fan of the idea of HOA's at all, but we are moving to greater Cincinatti and looking for a 'newer' house (we're expecting our first child in a few months and don't want a house with a lot of unexpected maintenance issues) so it sounds like we will most likely be stuck with them. What would be the average cost of HOA's...assuming it's just a regular neighborhood, not one of those ones with pools and such? Is it a monthly or yearly cost?
HOAs vary all over the map. If it is primarily a condo community, where the HOA is responsible for the external upkeep of all the common wall property, plus such things as green belts, etc. it can get quite steep. Even an area with single family homes just part of an HOA for simple things like a community pool, streetscape maintenance, etc. can be far more than I want to pay. You need to treat every property individually. Just start out with the attitude if there is an HOA associated I want nothing to do with it. If you find out this restricts your selections too much, then relax and indicate a range of HOA fees you will deal with. My range is zero, of course I am not faced with moving.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:07 PM

2,755 posts, read 3,182,211 times
Don't forget that even if you want nothing to do with the HOA and want to try to keep to yourself, that doesn't mean that the board or its agents have any intention of leaving you alone.

When you refer to costs, you should factor in the risk of being pulled into a lawsuit with the HOA. There are vendors out there who profit from provoking such disputes and they usually find willing, gullible, or ignorant board members who permit the vendors to provoke the disputes.

You should the legislation that the management company/HOA attorney vendor trade groups lobbied for in Ohio in SB 187. This bill is now law. If you think you had problems before, wait until the HOA industry goes to town in your neighborhood with these provisions:

Ohio SB 187 became law effective 09/01/2010. This bill is going
to create a feeding frenzy for HOA attorneys in every HOA in Ohio. Homeowners will be losing their homes, they will be accused of being "in violation", and the money will be extorted from them using the "priority of payment" scam. Other states have had to adopt laws protecting homeowners against these unscrupulous industry practices. Ohio made these unscrupulous practices the only way HOAs are permitted to operate.

Look at the Ohio "planned community act" bill:
Laws, Acts, and Legislation

Some highlights:
a) applies to all deed restricted subdivisions no matter the size or date
of creation
b) authorizing act for "enforcement assessments" (aka fines) even in subdivisions that had no such powers. Some states have already declared that fining is an unconstitutional delegation of police power to private actors. The industry has changed terminology from "fines" to "enforcement assessments" to try to avoid scrutiny yet they are one and the same.
c) authorizes the HOA corporation and its agents to enter onto any owner's property at any time without the consent of the owner
d) requires 75% owner votes to amend but requires 100% to terminate
e) enables the HOA corporation to borrow without the owners' consent and to assign
right to collect assessments to third parties. Won't be long before the organizations behind this bill are diverting assessment payments to various "lenders" while nothing is applied to common expenses despite owner's payments. See j.
f) enables the HOA to refuse to disclose whatever records the board or management company wants to refuse to disclose. Would by statute create a default "no right to
examine" for certain list of documents including any document that includes a "confidentiality" clause. You know the HOA management companies will all include a "confidentiality" clause to keep contracts secret from the members. All documents will simply incorporate a "confidential" statement to avoid disclosure. Allows HOA vendors to refuse to disclose information relating to enforcement of declaration, bylaws, or rules - (e.g., who has been threatened, for what alleged violation, what payments were extorted from the homeowner, how much of that went to the HOA). The "loans" from e) will also have confidentiality clauses to conceal the terms of the loans and where the payments go. Prospective purchasers won't know that their home is already the security for a debt the board has created.
g) 5312.11 is the Holy Grail of the HOA industry - the "priority of
payment" scam. Here you pay your assessment but by STATUTE the assessments that were allegedly so necessary that the HOA must have the power to foreclose to collect them will actually be paid last - after whatever fees the management company and HOA attorney create out of thin air. The priority of payment is designed to extort as much as possible from homeowners by accusing them of being "in violation". The re-characterization of assessment payments to junk fees leaves the homeowner "in arrears" on assessments so that the threat of foreclosure is effectively used to extort vendor junk fees from the homeowners.
h) the false "due process" procedure of a hearing before the board. There is no "due process" with a private corporation.
i) HOA is notified of any pending foreclosure action and is entitled to rents until foreclosure is completed
j) Note that the homeowner cannot withhold payment based upon HOA's failure to provide service, goods, work, material or failed in any duty. So you keep making your assessment payments but don't get any of the services represented to you and you have no choice but to continue paying or be foreclosed upon. This is really for the benefit of the organizations set out in e)
k) nonmembers obligated to adhere to restrictive covenants - if the theory is one of "contract" then how are nonmembers bound by the restrictive covenants?

Absolutely appalling. Avoiding HOA-burdened property should be a priority in view of this new law.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Looks like the prior poster has some definite feelings relative to HOAs. Might due well to at least wade through the law.

Changed my mind, if you can get anything out of this gobbledygook your attention span is much longer than mine.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,967,854 times
I know HOAs serve a purpose and that some of them are managed well. I'd have the least reservations about one involving a large, apartment-style building with many units, where you stand a better chance of having a pool of qualified applicants to choose from in electing the board. Otherwise, I think they incorporate elements of the worst of both renting and owning. Best bet is to buy in a jurisdiction where there are solid zoning laws on the books AND where they're enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or