U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times

Advertisements

OTR stands for Over the Rhine, the section of Cincinnati where so many of the German immigrants settled. It was a downtown, densely established neighborhood. It fell into disrepair when people began to move out of the city. It is now trying a comeback with rejuvenation. Time will tell if it succeeds. Others may lambast me about being pessimistic. No, I am simply a realist, time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 AM

477 posts, read 529,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OTR stands for Over the Rhine, the section of Cincinnati where so many of the German immigrants settled. It was a downtown, densely established neighborhood. It fell into disrepair when people began to move out of the city. It is now trying a comeback with rejuvenation. Time will tell if it succeeds. Others may lambast me about being pessimistic. No, I am simply a realist, time will tell.
I'm cautiously optimistic, national trends are very much on OTRs side .

Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic, national trends are very much on OTRs side .
There are reasons for optimisim. But how will it turn out. Originally it was a high density residential neighborhood interspersed with commercial buildings. Seems to me the current residential emergence is more a conversion of commercial structures into high priced condos and lofts while the original residential is going the way of the wrecking ball. It may make OTR a safe and crime free area to live in but the demographics will be considerably different from the original.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 AM

307 posts, read 440,754 times
While I understand that it's a polarizing neighborhood regarding perceptions, I think if anything you'll have nice parts and not nice parts, likely splitting at liberty, at least in the near future. I live in mt auburn, which as a whole isn't that greatest neighborhood, yet I'd consider my street to be pretty nice. I could see OtR going the same way.

Id say a majority of the renovations are tenements/apts to condos. They are very large residential
buildings but by no means were they commercial buildings, not counting the first floors. I'd honestly say
that single family historic structures are a rarity and somewhat desired down here.

As far as original conditions go we have to remember it was an over crowded immigrant hood. A small two 1-bedroom apt building I re-did had 11 people living in it in 1920. I'm fine if we don't return to these conditions.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 AM

477 posts, read 529,700 times
Quote:
There are reasons for optimisim. But how will it turn out. Originally it was a high density residential neighborhood interspersed with commercial buildings. Seems to me the current residential emergence is more a conversion of commercial structures into high priced condos and lofts while the original residential is going the way of the wrecking ball. It may make OTR a safe and crime free area to live in but the demographics will be considerably different from the original.
Most of the single family already was lost, but OTR is very much a tenement hood. Other tenement hoods on the East coast are now full of Condos and Lofts and still retain their Charm, though the demographics as KJBRILL said about OTR are vastly different.

Also there is an apartment shortage that is increasing rents as people right out of college aren't buying due to the fallout from the housing crisis with Gen Y also favoring living in closer quarters, this is fantastic for OTR's future.

The West End actually has more single families, but sadly its going to take a long time for gentrification to spread there, particularly with stuff like this going on:

Cincinnati MPH: West End: More low income or more demolitions? Time for real Preservation

Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Well Cincy, I did make it up to Cincinnati today on a gorgeous (although cold day) and got some great shots currently on the picture thread.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Well Cincy, I did make it up to Cincinnati today on a gorgeous (although cold day) and got some great shots currently on the picture thread.
Glad you had a good day in Cincy. Hope to see you again.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
There's not much better than seeing an "old" thread brought back to life...by the OP!
It would've not been the best time to ride the ferry (LOL) so you can do that next time.
What impressed me most about the pics was one of the ones taken on Vine St facing south in OTR. The specific reason is, if you look toward the left side (east side of the street) you'll see that an old-school Kroger sign was captured. Once upon a time that same sign perched outside the parking lot of every Kroger store, some number of logo redesigns and sign enlargements ago. I never thought I'd see one again, let alone still in use. Matter of fact, it was interesting to realize that that notorious "ghetto Kroger" is apparently still in business. Usually the management of store chains closes locations when there's no room to expand. With all the endeavors at gentrification afoot one has to wonder how long the store will have its "ghetto" qualities intact before imported cheeses, spring-water shelves, etc start taking over.
Anyway - glad you enjoyed your day trip! Hurry back.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,884,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Just finished checking them out, nice pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or