U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 AM

55 posts, read 78,595 times

Advertisements

I use my mothers recipe for making beef stew.... Put some water in the bottom of the crock pot, Brown some stew meat in a pan first, add the meat into the water, and then add anything in there you want...red wine, spices, raw carrots, onion, garlic, potatoes, celery, ever what you are in the mood for... let it cook for about 6 hours... YUM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsrn View Post
I use my mothers recipe for making beef stew.... Put some water in the bottom of the crock pot, Brown some stew meat in a pan first, add the meat into the water, and then add anything in there you want...red wine, spices, raw carrots, onion, garlic, potatoes, celery, ever what you are in the mood for... let it cook for about 6 hours... YUM!
I like your approach, a recipe which is basically no recipe. Use what you like and what you have on hand. In addition to the ingredients mentioned I have been known to toss in cut green beans, peas, and other veggies. Sometimes it is difficult to determine whether I have made stew or beef vegetable soup. What I totally agree with is cook it slow and long.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM

I have a round steak today which was run through the cuber. I was thinking of cutting it up and making stew. But the wife suggested we have not had swiss steak for some time. So I am running in that direction. A plastic cooking bag, packet of spices plus the liquid, and some baked potatoes to receive the swiss steak gravy, ummm good. While it is not stew, in my feeling it is in the same family.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
There is a reason beef stew is not made in a crock pot.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
There is a reason beef stew is not made in a crock pot.
Of course, you lose the benefit of the flavor you get from searing the meat and deglazing the pan.

The crockpot does very few things very well. You sacrifice flavor for convenience.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Of course, you lose the benefit of the flavor you get from searing the meat and deglazing the pan.

The crockpot does very few things very well. You sacrifice flavor for convenience.
I can count the things I cook in a crockpot on one hand, which will tell you I'm not a fan. That said, you can make a perfectly good beef stew in one IF you flour and brown the meat on the stovetop, deglaze that pan and add the drippings to the crockpot. You also have to add the potatoes at some later point, or they'll cook into mush.

To me it's a big advantage that I don't have to hang around the stove half the day stirring the stew periodically. I'd probably never make it at all if I had to do that.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 AM

Beef stew is best cooked in the oven, not on the stove top and certainly not in a crock pot. Start with an oven safe pan and brown the meat, then add the ingredients from the recipe above, good as any I've used. No potatoes in beef stew, they make the gravy pasty and unappealing. Like thickening with cornstarch - yuck. The gravy must cook down to proper thickness and the oven is the place for this, not a crockpot (where it will never thicken without starch) and not on a stovetop - without potatoes or pasta. If you like potatoes with the beef stew, cook them separately and serve with gravy on them. They ruin beef stew.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 AM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
I love my crockpot. So there.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I love my crockpot. So there.
I'm sure that you cat loves it too, what with all of the good meals you can make for him in it.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 AM

I will stick with my crockpot. Brown the meat first in a cast iron skillet then put it in the crockpot. I add seasonings and enough water to cover the meat. I cook the meat on low for everal hours. Don't seem to have much trouble creating enough of a gravy. Add the vegetables later so they are not cooked to death. Everyone to their own taste, and I like potatoes in my stew.

Same crockpot is where I make my Tex-Mex chili in which I like beans. I also brown the meat before I put it into the crockpot. Again I cook the meat and seasonings for several hours before I add the beans.

Cincinnati Chili I make in a cast iron dutch oven on the stovetop since you have to bring it to a good rolling boil before turning down to simmer. But it has enough liquid you don't have to stir constantly.

Same dutch oven is my utensil for roasts, beef or pork, cooked in the oven on low 325 heat for about 3 hours with enough moisture added to help produce gravy and prevent drying. All of us have our favorites. When cooking a beef roast, rolled rump is my favorite, when it comes time to make the gravy, which I want a lot of, some added beef stock and corn starch to thicken, then several dashes of kitchen bouquet for color and taste.

Like Ohiogirl81 I am very fond of my crockpot. One dish we go bananas over involves boneless chicken breasts (you can start with them frozen, very convenient), a can of condensed cream of celery soup, can of chicken broth, package of cream cheese cubed, plus a few other ingredients. After a day in the crockpot the chicken just flakes apart with a fork. Spoon it over some separately cooked egg noodles and you have a great meal.

crockpot lovers unite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati