U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Or, maybe not.
I didn't think it sounded very good either, until I got to the part about the oysters. I love me some oysters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,365,633 times
Oysters, oh save me. Years ago my father favored oyster stew. There was a restaurant downtown, I believe between 2nd and 3rd streets where you could get oyster stew as a carryout. I couldn't bear to even look at the stuff. I think maybe once in my life I was able to choke down some oysters rockefeller as they were sufficiently disguised and I was adequately lubed with martinis.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Hey Wilson, do you like pepper pot soup? To my chagrin Campbell recently discontinued theirs. The original recipe had tripe as the main ingredient, but I doubt you will find that today.

Remember, mock turtle soup means immitation turtle. I am not sure I have ever had real turtle soup. But read the label on the Worthmore can. They have been a Cincinnati institution forever and ignore Sarah's scare tactic. I definitely like mine with an oyster cracker garnish. Of course I like oyster crackers period. Put them on Cincinnati Chili, southwest chili, and about any soup I fix.
I keep a box of Skyline brand oyster crackers on hand. Had some for lunch today. They do go bad, rancid, but not as fast as Zesta saltines.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Hey Wilson... How do you like the cheese crackers with the peanut butter filing? I swear they do not have an experation date. I have had some with I swear a 1/4 inch of dust on them and they are still crispy. What in the world do they put into those things?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times
Quote:
Hey Wilson... How do you like the cheese crackers with the peanut butter filing? I swear they do not have an experation date. I have had some with I swear a 1/4 inch of dust on them and they are still crispy. What in the world do they put into those things?

They must be half preservatives.

I have some MRE snacks that probably are good for 10 years. Ever eat an MRE?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,886,806 times
Quote:

Yup! When you're sitting in a cold, damp concrete aircraft shelter on alert duty in Germany they taste GREAT!

Sarah, you might change your mind about oysters if you've ever seen 'em brought off the boat, shucked & canned...

KJBrill, I'll have to try Mock Turtle soup with the oysters next time!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:

No, I have never had the privilege to consume an MRE and am not anxious to try.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM

We can go on and on about specific foods.

I like discussing those made in Cincinnati. Worthmore is a brand which has been here forever. If you have never tried their mock turtle soup you need to. I will warn you when poured into a pan to heat up, you may have reservations about some of the appearance. What are those white and yellow things floating around? Simple, flecks of hard-boiled egg whites and yolk. They will not attack you.

I personally like Worthmore canned variety of Cincinnati Chili. Yes, they do make it, and I believe to a high quality.

We need to support Cincinnati companies.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,248 times
Quote:
We can go on and on about specific foods.

I like discussing those made in Cincinnati. Worthmore is a brand which has been here forever. If you have never tried their mock turtle soup you need to. I will warn you when poured into a pan to heat up, you may have reservations about some of the appearance. What are those white and yellow things floating around? Simple, flecks of hard-boiled egg whites and yolk. They will not attack you.

I personally like Worthmore canned variety of Cincinnati Chili. Yes, they do make it, and I believe to a high quality.

We need to support Cincinnati companies.
I doctored up some frozen Skyline the other day with added ground beef and some dehydrated onion flakes (I like the flavor, even though it's not like real onion) and ate it over whole grain pasta topped with shredded cheddar. Tasty!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I doctored up some frozen Skyline the other day with added ground beef and some dehydrated onion flakes (I like the flavor, even though it's not like real onion) and ate it over whole grain pasta topped with shredded cheddar. Tasty!
Hey, what an idea. Cincinnati Chili combined with whole grain pasta. We actually had that last week. And if you want another taste sensation, throw some sour cream on top of the chili and pasta before adding the cheddar cheese. You just might find a taste combination you have missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati