Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
noooooo. Please. You seem like you know food. Mash your own potatoes. It's worth the minimal bit of effort. Or more specifically, rice them.

I used to do my own, of course, but a couple of green inside potatoes and a couple of mushy ones and the five dishes that have to be cleaned caused me to do a taste test one Thanksgiving. We rubbed the crock pot down with garlic cloves, took a stick of butter, a half cup of heavy cream, and put three tubs of Bob Evan pre-made mashed potatoes in a let it cook while we made dinner. I think every one of the 25 people we had that year loved them.

So, good bye mashed potatoes. I may have made a better batch once or twice, but the Bob Evans are always perfect. Call me lazy, but I make it up with extra effort elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I used to do my own, of course, but a couple of green inside potatoes and a couple of mushy ones and the five dishes that have to be cleaned caused me to do a taste test one Thanksgiving. We rubbed the crock pot down with garlic cloves, took a stick of butter, a half cup of heavy cream, and put three tubs of Bob Evan pre-made mashed potatoes in a let it cook while we made dinner. I think every one of the 25 people we had that year loved them.

So, good bye mashed potatoes. I may have made a better batch once or twice, but the Bob Evans are always perfect. Call me lazy, but I make it up with extra effort elsewhere.
Interesting. I do know you can tweak a lot of that premade stuff and make it better, and the long, slow heat-up probably did wonders to improve the flavor, too. Not ready to give up the home-mashed, but will file this mentally!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I do know you can tweak a lot of that premade stuff and make it better, and the long, slow heat-up probably did wonders to improve the flavor, too. Not ready to give up the home-mashed, but will file this mentally!
I'm the last person to claim a pre-made vegetable can be better than fresh, but the return on investment and the risk/reward equation has caused me to drop mashed potatoes. I have them rarely and greatly prefer a baked potato or a boiled new potato.

But do keep it in mind when you have your hands full with other cooking tasks.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
My efforts in the kitchen generally result in the use of a fire extinguisher, so i let Mrs. CC do the chores. And she's QUITE good! prefers making her mashed 'taters from scratch, even adding a little freshly-grated nutmeg to the butter, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, salt andfreshly-ground black pepper. For me, Dinty Moore's beef stew or even Worthmore's Mock Turtle soup is as close as I'll get to real beef stew without her help...

Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
My efforts in the kitchen generally result in the use of a fire extinguisher, so i let Mrs. CC do the chores. And she's QUITE good! prefers making her mashed 'taters from scratch, even adding a little freshly-grated nutmeg to the butter, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, salt andfreshly-ground black pepper. For me, Dinty Moore's beef stew or even Worthmore's Mock Turtle soup is as close as I'll get to real beef stew without her help...
Hey, I like Worthmore's Mock Turtle soup! Have since I was a kid. Just seems to be one of those things you can rely upon.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Hey, I like Worthmore's Mock Turtle soup! Have since I was a kid. Just seems to be one of those things you can rely upon.
I've had the pleasure of squeezing my big truck into the Worthmore facility for a number of loads and I've found the folks there to be just as friendly as their soup is good!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Sounds like I'll have to try this mystery soup!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,071 times
Quote:
Sounds like I'll have to try this mystery soup!
Although the modern version of mock turtle soup is made with less exotic ingredients, I love this apparently mid-18th Century recipe from Wikipedia. And yes, I've seen some kind of animal heads at Jungle Jim's. Seems like they were hog's or sheep's heads, though.
Mrs. Fowle's Mock Turtle Soup,:[SIZE=3][3][/SIZE] "Take a large calf's head. Scald off the hair. Boil it until the horn is tender, then cut it into slices about the size of your finger, with as little lean as possible. Have ready three pints of good mutton or veal broth, put in it half a pint of Madeira wine, half a teaspoonful of thyme, pepper, a large onion, and the peel of a lemon chop't very small. A ¼ of a pint of oysters chop't very small, and their liquor; a little salt, the juice of two large onions, some sweet herbs, and the brains chop't. Stand all these together for about an hour, and send it up to the table with the forcemeat balls made small and the yolks of hard eggs."

Old 01-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Although the modern version of mock turtle soup is made with less exotic ingredients, I love this apparently mid-18th Century recipe from Wikipedia. And yes, I've seen some kind of animal heads at Jungle Jim's. Seems like they were hog's or sheep's heads, though.
Mrs. Fowle's Mock Turtle Soup,:[SIZE=3][3][/SIZE] "Take a large calf's head. Scald off the hair. Boil it until the horn is tender, then cut it into slices about the size of your finger, with as little lean as possible. Have ready three pints of good mutton or veal broth, put in it half a pint of Madeira wine, half a teaspoonful of thyme, pepper, a large onion, and the peel of a lemon chop't very small. A ¼ of a pint of oysters chop't very small, and their liquor; a little salt, the juice of two large onions, some sweet herbs, and the brains chop't. Stand all these together for about an hour, and send it up to the table with the forcemeat balls made small and the yolks of hard eggs."

Or, maybe not.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:
Or, maybe not.
Hey Wilson, do you like pepper pot soup? To my chagrin Campbell recently discontinued theirs. The original recipe had tripe as the main ingredient, but I doubt you will find that today.

Remember, mock turtle soup means immitation turtle. I am not sure I have ever had real turtle soup. But read the label on the Worthmore can. They have been a Cincinnati institution forever and ignore Sarah's scare tactic. I definitely like mine with an oyster cracker garnish. Of course I like oyster crackers period. Put them on Cincinnati Chili, southwest chili, and about any soup I fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati