U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,579 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the recommendations. It sounds like everyone here seems to agree on Convington and the surrounding areas.
Ohiogirl81 and Sarah, I am definitely looking for "walkable" bars too. I can always drive back from restaurants and shopping
How are the demographics in NKY compared to Cincinnati? More so, how are people's attitudes? Are these areas diverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 05:38 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,968,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topro View Post
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the recommendations. It sounds like everyone here seems to agree on Convington and the surrounding areas.
Ohiogirl81 and Sarah, I am definitely looking for "walkable" bars too. I can always drive back from restaurants and shopping
How are the demographics in NKY compared to Cincinnati? More so, how are people's attitudes? Are these areas diverse?
We get this question quite a bit from people from other parts of the country. I'm going to assume you're asking about either racial diversity or sexual orientation. Personally, I don't see any measurable difference in people's attitudes just because they're across the Ohio River from each other. There are three Kentucky counties--Boone, Kenton and Campbell--which are basically just part of the greater Cincinnati metropolitan area. They don't have much in common with the parts of eastern Kentucky that have given rise to the hillbilly stereotype prevalent in some places.

Among educated, middle-class and particularly younger people in the greater Cincinnati area I don't believe there's any more prejudice than anywhere else in the Midwest or probably in most of the country for that matter. Parts of Cincinnati, Covington and Newport do still have a pretty substantial Appalachian demographic, although those are mostly poor people concentrated in poor neighborhoods. Indeed, they don't take kindly to "diversity" of any kind.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,510,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topro View Post
It sounds like everyone here seems to agree on Convington and the surrounding areas.
No way, there Topro. Covington is a toilet. There are maybe five city blocks in Covington where you would be safe to walk around by yourself at night. They do have a good view - of Cincinnati. And, the places to go are mostly liquor stores and corner bars. And, you are quite wrong about HP. Old and new, HP is the only place that has it all. And, that is wher eyou would be happiest living. For sure. But if you work in Florence you should not live all the way over in HP. You can't get what you want working in Florence. Sorry. Settle on living in a nice NKY community like Fort Mitchell or Villa Hills and get in your car a couple times a week and come over to HP. But, for God's sake, don't think Covington is a place everyone has settled on as a desirable place to live. It isn't.

As for Mainstrasse, great place for bar hopping, living there? Not so much. Here is what you get (a broken down Winnabago an alley, garbage cans and some ghetto people) when you walk 200 feet off the main drag (please do not flame me because there are black persons in this photo - I'm not a racist and I would have put the photo up if the people were green):

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 AM

Just to be fair, here is 9th Street the other direction:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 07:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,415,280 times
Boy Wilson... You are kinda tough on Covington, aren't you? But all of the talk about walkability seems overdone to me anyway. I just don't see that many places which I consider truely walkable, that is 15 minutes from my residence to bars, restaurants, shopping, etc.

One of the few walkable towns I know of is Reston, Virginia, because it was a total planned community. But even there you are going to walk a lot more than 15 minutes the majority of the time. Locally, Mariemont is presented as a walkable town, and it does have a quaint appearance since it was a planned community and due to the architecture. But for my money it is overpriced for what you get and the walking severely limits your selection.

As nice as HP is, it would not be my choice for walking except for the immediate square. The current true shopping is Rookwood Commons and Pavillion. If I had to walk from the square down there and back, I would be screaming where is the streetcar? Same goes for HP Plaza.

Your advice to the OP makes sense to me. Look for an apartment/condo close to where he will be working, good space, modern conveniences, perhaps even a fitness center, and enjoy your short drive to work everyday. If you happen to drive somewhere for a libation and overindulge, don't be a skinflint and call a taxi to take you home.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Boy Wilson... You are kinda tough on Covington, aren't you? But all of the talk about walkability seems overdone to me anyway. I just don't see that many places which I consider truely walkable, that is 15 minutes from my residence to bars, restaurants, shopping, etc.
Hahaha! I guess I went a little overboard with the post about Covington. But who in their right mind would want to live there? Unless a person was just wanting to go out every night and drink themselves blind and walk home and flop into the crib and not care if they get rolled on the way, a person shouldn't live there.

What would you do with a nice car down there? Or visitors? Its kind of a one dimensional place. Great bars do not make a great neighborhood.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 AM

901 posts, read 1,958,783 times
I really have to agree with Wilson (shocking, isn't it, Wilson? lol!) about the bulk of Covington. That's why I stated the only place I would consider would be north of 4th and east of the Suspension Bridge....basically, the Riverside neighborhood.

There ARE walkable areas around the metro...but unfortunately they don't seem to be too appealing to the younger generation, or too much of a commute for what the OP seeks, or else they are in the suburbs.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:40 PM

I owned rental property in the Mainstrasse area and maintained an apartment there for a couple years when I still lived in Lexington. Based on that, I'll stand by what I've written previously.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
...As for Mainstrasse, great place for bar hopping, living there? Not so much. Here is what you get (a broken down Winnabago an alley, garbage cans and some ghetto people) when you walk 200 feet off the main drag (please do not flame me because there are black persons in this photo - I'm not a racist and I would have put the photo up if the people were green):
Kind of perplexed. Some of us are talking about Mainstrasse, and you post photos of 9th Street. What's the connection?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 PM

Apparently, the Google street view camera operators were afraid to drive off the main drag there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati