Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,237 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a single male professional in my upper 20s relocating to the area, looking for suggestions on nice places to live. I will work in Florence/Erlanger area, and would prefer to live within a 20-25 minute drive, and have shops and restaurants within walking distance.
How are Newport/Convington? What are the best areas/communities to live around there? I am willing to spend up to $1100/month and ideally would like to have a large apartment or condo and have things to do around. I have read threads on this website that suggest Mt. Adams or Hyde Park may be the best such options. But, the apartments in those areas seem to be older, smaller and have a premium for location. On the other hand, the apartments in Florence are spacious, but they are typical suburban residences and you have to drive everywhere.
Are there any areas near Erlanger/Florence that combine the two - space and surroundings? If I want to have some life after work on a weekday, should I only consider the Cincinnati side?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topro View Post
Hi all,

I'm a single male professional in my upper 20s relocating to the area, looking for suggestions on nice places to live. I will work in Florence/Erlanger area, and would prefer to live within a 20-25 minute drive, and have shops and restaurants within walking distance.
How are Newport/Convington? What are the best areas/communities to live around there? I am willing to spend up to $1100/month and ideally would like to have a large apartment or condo and have things to do around. I have read threads on this website that suggest Mt. Adams or Hyde Park may be the best such options. But, the apartments in those areas seem to be older, smaller and have a premium for location. On the other hand, the apartments in Florence are spacious, but they are typical suburban residences and you have to drive everywhere.
Are there any areas near Erlanger/Florence that combine the two - space and surroundings? If I want to have some life after work on a weekday, should I only consider the Cincinnati side?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I'm not sure it'd be a completely perfect fit for you, but I think you should investigate the Mainstrasse area of Covington. I don't know a lot about rents now, but I THINK the $1,100 a month would go pretty far there. I also would just comment that you may hear from people on this board who seem to have a vested interest in specific areas and may not know other areas as well as they claim to. I hope you don't ignore my suggestion based on anything else you read here.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,507,891 times
Covington if you want a more urban experience (second the Mainstrasse recommendation), Fort Thomas if you're looking for something a little more suburban but not in the same vein as Florence or Erlanger (think "streetcar suburbia")

Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,898,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm not sure it'd be a completely perfect fit for you, but I think you should investigate the Mainstrasse area of Covington. I don't know a lot about rents now, but I THINK the $1,100 a month would go pretty far there. I also would just comment that you may hear from people on this board who seem to have a vested interest in specific areas and may not know other areas as well as they claim to. I hope you don't ignore my suggestion based on anything else you read here.
Let's not pinpoint that on "others" as from what I have seen, everyone in the Cincy forum is guilty of that. Whether they be from the burbs or the city. If you want to be close to the CBD and NKY is your pick, you can't go wrong with the Newport/Covington area.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,016 times
I live in Oxford, so I'm not going to pretend to know Covington or Newport better than others, but as a general rule I'd probably opt for Newport in the Mansion Hill/Park Avenue area or Covington somewhere north of 4th and east of the Suspension Bridge. If you don't mind a bit longer commute, check out the Clifton Gaslight District a few miles north of downtown Cincinnati.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Let's not pinpoint that on "others" as from what I have seen, everyone in the Cincy forum is guilty of that. Whether they be from the burbs or the city. If you want to be close to the CBD and NKY is your pick, you can't go wrong with the Newport/Covington area.
Nah. Let's be fair. I may be too hard on some parts of town--I have, for example, a really low tolerance for crime--but I don't bloviate like some kind of expert about areas I haven't even driven through in 15 years. Im pretty sure I've seen posts here that meet that description.

I think it's a safe bet the OP would enjoy the bars and restaurants in Mainstrasse. The commute would not only be super easy and quick, he'd be driving mostly against rush-hour traffic flow. Only question is whether he could find the type of apartment he wants. There are some very nice rehabs in that area, but obviously most of the building stock is older.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:25 PM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Aside from Newport or MainStrasse Covington, also consider Fort Thomas, Fort Mitchell, Park Hills, Lakeside Park, or Bellevue.

I haven't rented for 20 years, though; no idea what rents cost these days. Good luck to you.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Aside from Newport or MainStrasse Covington, also consider Fort Thomas, Fort Mitchell, Park Hills, Lakeside Park, or Bellevue.

I haven't rented for 20 years, though; no idea what rents cost these days. Good luck to you.
Those are nice communities, but worth keeping in mind that they don't offer the concentration of walkable bars and restaurants the OP asked about.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 AM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Tee hee ... I've walked to bars in all those places!

Well, except for Park Hills, which is pretty residential but close enough to Covington.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Tee hee ... I've walked to bars in all those places!

Well, except for Park Hills, which is pretty residential but close enough to Covington.
LOL! I should have been more careful, actually, the OP asked about restaurants and shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati