U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times

Advertisements

yes, golf manor is going to be in a world of municipal/fiscal hurt; reading, evendale, and some others i suspect are heading in a similar direction. in 15 or 20 years, even parts of west chester will be in the same situation, though perhaps even worse simply because they are maintaining probably double or more infrastructure per capita than golf manor. old infrastructure is expensive to maintain, the businesses and high-rent people leave to where space is better and rents are the same or even cheaper, and suddenly places like golf manor have a legacy to support just like cincinnati but without all the jobs to offset the costs.

this goes back to a fundamental problem with how we build and finance our development in the US - the furthest ahead anyone has to think is 20 years. but that is another issue altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM

171 posts, read 295,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
yes, golf manor is going to be in a world of municipal/fiscal hurt; reading, evendale, and some others i suspect are heading in a similar direction.
As long as Evendale keeps their big employer, they are in good shape. Notice the "incentive" that the state gave them to keep them in Ohio? Take a look at the nice green space next to the highway and the beautification of their facility. Ohio does not want to lose them....

There was an article recently in the Enquirer about Evendale land banking commercial properties to clean up Reading Rd. They have a ton of money coming in from industry and are stockpiling property.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM

31,193 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
The next generation (my cousins) seem to be colonizing the opposite end of Madisonville near St. Margaret of Cortona on streets like Homer, Simpson, Islington, and Arnsby.
I've noticed that; that's good news for Madisonville. Those are some nice houses over there, too, and you can't beat the juxtaposition of "Homer" and Simpson" avenues.

Quote:
Deer Park and Silverton are neighborhoods that have a lot in common with Madison place,
They are, and more than a few of the houses/lots seem to be a tad bigger than those in Madison Place, if that's your thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
yes, golf manor is going to be in a world of municipal/fiscal hurt; reading, evendale, and some others i suspect are heading in a similar direction. in 15 or 20 years, even parts of west chester will be in the same situation
Probably not; Golf Manor's problem is that it's almost all residential and has to rely on property taxes; because there are few businesses and virtually no industry in the village, and most residents work elsewhere, there's not much to collect in the way of income tax. Reading, Evendale and West Chester -- unless more than one key employer vaporizes -- do not have that issue.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM

329 posts, read 564,414 times
Only areas of Westchester that are or within 5 years are/will be going downhill really are closer to 75/275. I drive out to my friends restaurant near the intersection of Hamilton Mason and Cincinnati Dayton Roads. I am a common traveler on 129, SR 747, and 75... Not to mention Liberty Way.

Areas around Union Center Blvd are starting to feel the economies toll, lately beggars and homeless frequent around here, no big surprise. Also, seems like 747 up to about Rialto has really gone downhill, those trailer parks are being targeted by many drug dealers and criminals. I know about the trailer park related things because my realtor (yes, instead of moving down South, I may just move up... North I suppose) told me this.

But back to my point, by 2020, Cincinnati will most likely have changed slot. We are already seeing less conservatism especially in the cities gentrification of Over The Rhine, Price Hill, parts of the Eastside, etc... Also the Banks.

By 2020 many neighborhoods (Fairmount, OTR, etc) will improve... But many areas in the greater and city region will undoubtedly decline (Mt. Airy, College Hill, Westwood. Walnut Hills, Mt. Washington, Avondale, Sayler Park) (Green, Colerain, Anderson (Just Western Parts), Westchester, and Springfield).

Just from my experience, knowledge, and what i have seen and from what I see at my apartments/housing units for rent I own.

Last edited by Bhiggins; 10-20-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati