U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,703,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post

...Who are you, or any of us, to dictate to him that he must accept what is acceptable here? If he's willing to make a 45-minute commute to Dayton, isn't that his right? Shouldn't we all be considerate of what he has already stated he wants in his posts, and go with that instead of molding him to our own ideas of what life should be like for him? Sheesh!
As a group of posters who merely tried to warn an outsider and his family to the serious pitfalls of driving back and forth to work in our own locale, we should all take offense to being broadsided ("T-Boned") by your aggressive, holier-than-thou diatribe evaluating what we should/should not have said. Considering that our remarks to this Texas family new to our area were aimed at their safety and well-being, your post seems needlessly argumentative and burdened with ulterior motives. I cannot speak for either Ohiogirl81 or kybrill (they're perfectly capable of addressing you themselves), but I can respond with a few observations of my own:

(a) I must agree with you that my own choice of wording (what is "acceptable here") wasn't the best because it could be taken to read morally--when really all I meant was what motorists here usually limit themselves to;

(b) I must disagree with you that I'm trying to dictate our newcomer's life/lifestyle when all I'm trying to do is WARN HIM about the perils of a very treacherous and unforgiving freeway known as I-75. Unless this fellow has beatific vision or ESP, there's no way he would know what all of us know about this particular stretch of highway (also one of the most heavily traveled expressways in the nation). Why should our Texas outsider NOT listen to us, huh?

(c) I must question your own reason(s) for being so critical. Here we all are, more or less trying to save this family time, energy, $$$, etc, in travel time to & from work, while making the drive also a safe one--and here you come along, with some kind of crazy, big sky country, let-it-all hang out boosterism for living on the road. Just why would you advocate such extravagance and excess over frugality and simplicity?

(d)I must remind you that when when all of us initially offered our advice that we knew almost nothing about either the OP or his family, and that the way the advice was presented was a pretty routine C-D fanfare of helpful suggestions from people who actually live and work here (many of us for decades). Just what are your credentials to object so strongly? If I remember correctly, wasn't it several years ago or so you lived in this area--and moved elsewhere? Or what?

Anyway, I think at this time I've said enough. It's your dime, insightofitall--time for you to "show-and-tell," or to shut up...

Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,733,381 times
this thread is hilarious. you see how little it takes to get us going. the OP has graced us with about three sentences. yet we just go on and on. it's time to back away from the computer...

Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
this thread is hilarious. you see how little it takes to get us going. the OP has graced us with about three sentences. yet we just go on and on. it's time to back away from the computer...
Heh. Why stop now?

Relationships: Long Commutes Take Toll on Marriage - ABC News

Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
At least it hasn't devolved into the usual--an argument about either goetta or Hitler... At least not yet...

Old 10-31-2011, 10:11 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
At least it hasn't devolved into the usual--an argument about either goetta or Hitler... At least not yet...
Which is messier to eat during your commute? Skyline or Gold Star?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Which is messier to eat during your commute? Skyline or Gold Star?
^LOL, Sara! Exactly--and we wouldn't have it any other way, would we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or