Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_david01 View Post
Hey all, we are currently in Dallas, but considering a very good offer from a company in Dayton, OH. I've been told that living in Cincy is an option even if we work in Dayton. I've never been to Dayton/Cincy before but would likely be visiting soon. I've been to columbus and i really liked it there. My question is: Is the commute from dayton to cincy feasible? Also what is living in cincy like as compared to dallas? Minus the weather, what are the good things about cincy? Cost of living? Housing? etc. Thanks all.
Trust me, the traffic in the Cincinnati/Dayton corridor is a piece of cake compared to Dallas. I drove through Dallas 4 weeks ago, and the entire drive down starting from McKinney down through Plano/Richardson and around the 635 beltway was a total NIGHTMARE. It wasn't even rush-hour, either. So that being said, I'd say if you really want to live in the Cincinnati metro and work in Dayton, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by the commute. Check out West Chester, Mason, Liberty....all northern Cincinnati 'burbs. Depends on what you're looking for.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Thanks all, the company is cargill, it's location just north of downtown dayton on Needmore Rd. 45 minute commute isnt a big deal at all. Heck people drive 1hr each way here in dallas. Not saying its ideal, but certainly not a deal breaker.
The thing is, just because a lot of people do something because they see no alternative doesn't make it a good idea. A 45-minute commute each way, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, works out to about 20 days' worth of waking time that you spend in your car. Let's say you can cut that in half by being somewhat savvy about your commute time. I don't know about you, but there are a whole lot of other ways I can think of to spend 10 days besides stuck in traffic.

Then there's the money. I'm not even going there. Trust us, no one in their right mind commutes from Cincinnati to north of Dayton for a job, unless there are specific circumstances that obviate having a choice.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The thing is, just because a lot of people do something because they see no alternative doesn't make it a good idea. A 45-minute commute each way, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, works out to about 20 days' worth of waking time that you spend in your car. Let's say you can cut that in half by being somewhat savvy about your commute time. I don't know about you, but there are a whole lot of other ways I can think of to spend 10 days besides stuck in traffic.

Then there's the money. I'm not even going there. Trust us, no one in their right mind commutes from Cincinnati to north of Dayton for a job, unless there are specific circumstances that obviate having a choice.
That's because we here tend to think of the traffic as horrible. But believe me, compared to other cities, the I-75 commute is no big deal. I can only imagine the people of Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and other huge cities would salivate at our comparatively light traffic.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times

Seems like the prevailing wind direction is different, if that helps.

And, if you go north of Dayton, you have easy access to east/west traffic as well as north/south.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Thanks all, the company is cargill, it's location just north of downtown dayton on Needmore Rd. 45 minute commute isnt a big deal at all. Heck people drive 1hr each way here in dallas. Not saying its ideal, but certainly not a deal breaker.
So DFW, LA, ATL, etc, have far worse traffic and driving a 45-min. commute isn't any big deal? Believe me, after you fight traffic virtually everyday just to get from Needmore Rd. back to one of those aforementioned south Dayton communities, you'll thank yourself for not living any farther away! I-75 through the center of town is an unpredictable mess during rush hours (when you discover what "Malfunction Junction" really is, you"ll understand...) and alternate ways back to those communities can be troublesome. Stick with the several posters who recommended Centerville, Springboro, Bellbrook, etc. As mentioned, these and several other affluent south Dayton suburbs offer appealing amenities. And don't even think about commuting to Cincinnati--even though the two cities are relatively near each other (and growing closer together everyday...), they are still miles apart. Why hamstring yourself with a daily commute that you'll quickly grow to hate?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
So DFW, LA, ATL, etc, have far worse traffic and driving a 45-min. commute isn't any big deal? Believe me, after you fight traffic virtually everyday just to get from Needmore Rd. back to one of those aforementioned south Dayton communities, you'll thank yourself for not living any farther away! I-75 through the center of town is an unpredictable mess during rush hours (when you discover what "Malfunction Junction" really is, you"ll understand...) and alternate ways back to those communities can be troublesome. Stick with the several posters who recommended Centerville, Springboro, Bellbrook, etc. As mentioned, these and several other affluent south Dayton suburbs offer appealing amenities. And don't even think about commuting to Cincinnati--even though the two cities are relatively near each other (and growing closer together everyday...), they are still miles apart. Why hamstring yourself with a daily commute that you'll quickly grow to hate?
Why do you assume he would hate the commute? I want to quote what he said in post #9:

"45 minute commute isnt a big deal at all. Heck people drive 1hr each way here in dallas. Not saying its ideal, but certainly not a deal breaker."

If you're used to an hour commute in Dallas each day, you can handle a 45-minute commute between Needmore Road in Dayton and the northern suburbs of Cincinnati, in which the traffic is much lighter than in Dallas.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Yes, if you want to be beat over the head with a sledgehammer I guess we should not be negative. But those 45 minute commutes tend to become much longer whenever anything abnormal, accident, etc. happens. Excuse us if we express an opinion why do you want to deal with that? I can't think of any specific reason why life in a Cincinnati suburb is any better, or maybe not even as good, as one of the Dayton suburbs. If my work was on the north side of Dayton I would be looking to live there also, particularly with the freedom to consider east or west with little increase in time. Downtown Dayton is an unpredicable mess and I would avoid it on a daily basis. Just because you come from an area like Dallas, why would you not want to improve your life condition?

Cincinnati is a short distance away for any kind of recreational pursuit. But why in the world would you feel a need to live there? I find it easy to go to Dayton for any reason, but I certainly would not want to live in Mason and work in Dayton. I lived in Mason and worked in Mason, that is what I call ideal. I could make it from my house to the desk in my office in less than 10 minutes.

Last edited by kjbrill; 10-26-2011 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Why do you assume he would hate the commute? I want to quote what he said in post #9:

"45 minute commute isnt a big deal at all. Heck people drive 1hr each way here in dallas. Not saying its ideal, but certainly not a deal breaker."

If you're used to an hour commute in Dallas each day, you can handle a 45-minute commute between Needmore Road in Dayton and the northern suburbs of Cincinnati, in which the traffic is much lighter than in Dallas.
(1) Reread #7 & #12 posts. Sarah Perry has already done the road math and kybrill has reaffirmed how unpredictable I-75 too often is;

(2) When in Dayton and/or Cincinnati, accept what is acceptable here--not what was previously acceptable in Dallas;

(3) Consider what inclement weather of the Midwestern kind can do to any expressway traffic all along I-75 from Dayton to Cincinnati;

(4) Realize that the heart of Cincinnati isn't in its northern periphery, but in its river core communities, which aren't so easily accessible from Dayton on a routine, daily basis.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
motorman... you are giving some good advice.

I have lived in Mason over 35 years. Would I consider a commute to north of Dayton, no F***ing way! Why would you want to subject yourself to such a daily beating? No matter where you are from and what they consider a reasonable commute, if you are moving back to the heartland, reduce that commute and begin to enjoy life more.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
(1) Reread #7 & #12 posts. Sarah Perry has already done the road math and kybrill has reaffirmed how unpredictable I-75 too often is;
^Thanks for your support, kybrill--BTW, may I apologize for referring back to a wrong post; they should have read "#12 & #17 posts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati