Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 PM

465 posts, read 473,937 times

Advertisements

You can certainly communte cincinnati to dayton, but to be honest, if you liked columbus you probably won't like cincinnati. They are quite different.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
You can certainly communte cincinnati to dayton, but to be honest, if you liked columbus you probably won't like cincinnati. They are quite different.
They are quite different, but I don't think liking one precludes you from liking the other. I am rather a fan of both

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
They are quite different, but I don't think liking one precludes you from liking the other. I am rather a fan of both
This. To me, Cincinnati is a river town, while Columbus is a college town. Each have their own merits (neighborhoods, food, entertainment, etc) and while I'm a native Cincinnatian, if I ever moved back to Ohio, my first choice would be Columbus.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Trust us, no one in their right mind commutes from Cincinnati to north of Dayton for a job, unless there are specific circumstances that obviate having a choice.
LOL, and you're right! If I were working on Needmore Road, the farthest south I'd live would be Oakwood. Maybe not even that far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
If you're used to an hour commute in Dallas each day, you can handle a 45-minute commute between Needmore Road in Dayton and the northern suburbs of Cincinnati, in which the traffic is much lighter than in Dallas.
That commute would get old right quick. Why kill yourself if you don't have to?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Look in Dayton at Oakwood, Kettering, Centerville, and maybe northern half of Beavercreek in the south and east. If you really want to live close to work, I would consider the northern Dayton suburbs of Vandalia and Tipp City. The northern ones don't have as much shopping (due to a smaller overall population), but still have many of the staples that you will find in the southern suburbs. If you need a mall fix, it isn't that hard to reach Fairfield or Dayton Malls or The Greene.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Look in Dayton at Oakwood, Kettering, Centerville, and maybe northern half of Beavercreek in the south and east. If you really want to live close to work, I would consider the northern Dayton suburbs of Vandalia and Tipp City. The northern ones don't have as much shopping (due to a smaller overall population), but still have many of the staples that you will find in the southern suburbs. If you need a mall fix, it isn't that hard to reach Fairfield or Dayton Malls or The Greene.
OP - listen to some people who are giving you practical advice. Sure you can live in Cincinnati and commute to Dayton, Maybe even from NKY. But the point is Why would you? Unless you are just a Masochist, work on the north side of Dayton and also live there. Drive to Cincinnati to get your major league sports fix. For the rest you may find out Dayton has some really nice places also.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times
Smart remarks aside here for the moment, let me just add:

If I had a job on Needmore Rd. (Need more), I, too, would not consider anything south of Oakwood and that largely because the city services as well as the schools have a good reputation. It has to be remembered that "up north" driving involves driving amid snow and ice (more than once).

If poor, old, one and a half syllable, Dayton didn't sit in a comparatively small state with a half of a dozen big towns mostly larger, it might have a nicer glow on it.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 13,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Why do you assume he would hate the commute? I want to quote what he said in post #9:

"45 minute commute isnt a big deal at all. Heck people drive 1hr each way here in dallas. Not saying its ideal, but certainly not a deal breaker."

If you're used to an hour commute in Dallas each day, you can handle a 45-minute commute between Needmore Road in Dayton and the northern suburbs of Cincinnati, in which the traffic is much lighter than in Dallas.
All this squabble about 45 minutes commute. I once lived and worked in Nothern Virginia right by DC, My wife and I drove 42 miles each way. We did that for about 2 years, and it wasn't ridiculous. But thanks for the advice. I should be over there sometime next week, so we'll see.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_david01 View Post
All this squabble about 45 minutes commute. I once lived and worked in Nothern Virginia right by DC, My wife and I drove 42 miles each way. We did that for about 2 years, and it wasn't ridiculous. But thanks for the advice. I should be over there sometime next week, so we'll see.
You are right, it is something many people do and your decision. The main reason broils down to WHY? If you cannot cite a specific reason to live in Cincinnati, or even south Dayton for that matter, you are making life much more difficult than it need be. I can think of several north Dayton suburbs I would be perfectly happy living in. If they do not come up to your expectations, then consider Dublin on the west side of Columbus. That should be within your 42 mile commute zone.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 13,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You are right, it is something many people do and your decision. The main reason broils down to WHY? If you cannot cite a specific reason to live in Cincinnati, or even south Dayton for that matter, you are making life much more difficult than it need be. I can think of several north Dayton suburbs I would be perfectly happy living in. If they do not come up to your expectations, then consider Dublin on the west side of Columbus. That should be within your 42 mile commute zone.

Isn't mason about 38 miles from dayton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati