Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 AM

11 posts, read 13,239 times

Advertisements

Hey all, we are currently in Dallas, but considering a very good offer from a company in Dayton, OH. I've been told that living in Cincy is an option even if we work in Dayton. I've never been to Dayton/Cincy before but would likely be visiting soon. I've been to columbus and i really liked it there. My question is: Is the commute from dayton to cincy feasible? Also what is living in cincy like as compared to dallas? Minus the weather, what are the good things about cincy? Cost of living? Housing? etc. Thanks all.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
It isn't very realistic to commute from Cincinnati to Dayton. I suppose if you lived in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati and worked in the southern suburbs of Dayton that it could work, but otherwise it really just isn't a very good idea. Dayton has very nice suburban communities and the city itself is coming back and has some cool places to live. It is smaller and a little easier to get around than Dayton, but has similar amenities, plus Cincinnati's pro sports, etc, are just a short drive away.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Where in Dayton will you be working? It's entirely possible to live in some of the northern Cincinnati suburbs such as Mason and West Chester and work in Dayton, particularly if it's Dayton south. If you're going to be working at the base, it'll be longer. I know several people who live in Dayton and work in Cincinnati, so it's not all that uncommon, despite what some people here will tell you. In fact, I did it for awhile, commuting from Centerville to downtown Cincinnati. And my cousin has been commuting from Centerville to his job in Blue Ash for the past seven years. It's really not all that different than commuting from parts of Dallas to parts of Fort Worth. While there are plenty of lightly traveled back roads that you would probably discover that are much quicker, at least initially you'd be talking about a 45-minute commute on I-75, which is no day at the beach. Coming from Dallas though, it won't be anything you haven't seen before.

The biggest difference between Dallas and Cincinnati is the weather. We get a lot more rain here than you're used to, especially with as parched as Texas has been in recent years. Also, Greater Cincinnati, despite consisting of three states, isn't nearly as spread out as the Dallas Metroplex. I think 'll find the cost of living to be more friendly in southwest Ohio, and the housing more affordable.

If one of you will be working in Cincinnati and the other one in Dayton, I'd go with Cincinnati. But if you'll both be working in Dayton, I think you'd find living in the Dayton area to be easier and more realistic. The Centerville, Bellbrook, Springboro and Lebanon areas would definitely be worth checking out. They're all great communities with fantastic school systems and each one retains their charming, old-world downtowns. And they're all close enough to Cincinnati that you could go there just about any time for events and or even just for dinner.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 10-25-2011 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Dayton is every bit as good a city as Cincinnati unless you are looking for unique or really upscale living. Dayton even has excellent amenities and events, Even so, its a short drive to Cincinnati for weekend events. I'd definitely choose Dayton and commute for events, nt work.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Live in the Dayton area. There are many fine communities to chose from. Cincinnati and its attractions, particularly pro sports and restaurants, are a short drive away, but not something you want to do daily.

I live in Mason and I drive to southern Dayton frequently to play golf. But our timing is mid-day. During rush hour on a daily basis going to/from work, no way!

You will notice a difference in the weather. Cincinnati will likely set an annual rainfall record this week. It is sunny and bright out today but we all know this is about the end. The winter here is gray and overcast skies, damp and dreary. But it makes you really appreciate spring.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
I second what everybody else has said. Cincinnati does have, of course, some of the amenities that Dayton does not, that go along with simple population size, like for example, an Ethopian restaurant. At least, I doubt if Dayton has one. Just an example that occurred to me for no particular reason.

You asked what Cincinnati has going for it. A very reasonable cost of living for what you get in terms of beautiful terrain, nice park systems, and a thriving arts community grounded in a long, strong tradition.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times

Dayton's okay?

Why, thank you, Cincinnati!

It might help such decision making if you mentioned the National Aviation Heritage Area. It might (or might not) be something someone wants to be in the middle of....

Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Live in the Dayton area. There are many fine communities to chose from. Cincinnati and its attractions, particularly pro sports and restaurants, are a short drive away, but not something you want to do daily.

I live in Mason and I drive to southern Dayton frequently to play golf. But our timing is mid-day. During rush hour on a daily basis going to/from work, no way!

You will notice a difference in the weather. Cincinnati will likely set an annual rainfall record this week. It is sunny and bright out today but we all know this is about the end. The winter here is gray and overcast skies, damp and dreary. But it makes you really appreciate spring.
I, for one, really appreciate those days. I lived in a place that had sunshine almost every day of the year (in Colorado/Wyoming, you get sunshine more than 300 days), and that definitely gets old. I found myself loving the rare overcast days. I love the dark, dreary London/Seattle-style days, especially when the leaves are off the trees - great for listening to classical music!

Last edited by abr7rmj; 10-25-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 12:46 PM

11 posts, read 13,239 times
Thanks all, the company is cargill, it's location just north of downtown dayton on Needmore Rd. 45 minute commute isnt a big deal at all. Heck people drive 1hr each way here in dallas. Not saying its ideal, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
abr7rmj... Yes, if it wasn't for winter I probably would never get anything done indoors. When the weather gets cold and the leaves drop I start to think about what projects I need to do indoors.

OP - If your new company is on the north side of Dayton, believe us you do not want to commute to Cincinnati. Dayton has some great communities, some of which are on the south side like Centerville and Springboro which will be all the commute you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati